SM18

Audi A3
Reaction score
Audi A3 8v
Got standard halogen bulbs, but my god vision is terrible at night, can leave on main beam struggling to see and oncoming cars don’t even notice I’m on main beam.

Any upgrade bulbs recommended? Not fused what colour just want good vision.

My 58 plate mk5 golf had h7 bulbs (I think) and would dazzle on coming cars on dipped beam.. and had a blue tint..
Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Osram night breaker or the Philips equivalent.
These are the ones I got my dad when he complained his was a bit dull now he complains it’s too bright and he’s always getting flashed.

@AIS3BE are they white or yellow light?
Been looking at Phillips racing vision 150%

Do you have to change them regular since upgrading, I’ve sometimes found white extra bright ones don’t last 5 mins

Some of the Philips ones aren’t road legal as they are too bright/high wattage.

Reactions: KenL
Ah didn’t know that, think I’ll go osram, got those in my discovery and they work well.. are yours blue or yellow?

+1 for Phillips racing vision 150%, all subjective but i find them brighter (mine are 130%), whiter and longer vision than the night breakers and others I tried at the time. Had them in about two years now and still working ok so might even go to the 150%.
I did find that the biggest difference made to my lights was getting the setting right, the Pre-delivery inspection did not pick up how far out they were and when corrected improved about 50% but still not good enough on the factory long life but low output H7 Audi fit as standard.

So you think Phillips racing 150% are legal?
And your using 130% atm..

I’m guessing they’re white rather than yellow in colour?

Might order some later on

Yes they are very bright white and yes they are legal. Have a look at the powerbulbs site where they have all the reviews and the technical info for the different H7 bulbs. As a bonus they are offering 20% atm (I have no connection to them).

Reactions: Jassyo06
Have you just changed the h7 or the h15 as well? The h7 is just dipped beam isn’t it and h15 drl and main beam which is also not very bright!

Will have a look

So I decided to check if my headlights need adjusting, and going on infomation I’ve found out, at 25ft dipped beam should shine 4ft high on a wall, turns out car was only reaching 1ft. So I’ve adjusted them to the 4ft, difference is amazing!
Took the car for a spin in the dark last night, wasn’t getting flashed by oncoming cars, except one, but could have been one of those dicks who turn main beam on too soon. So yeah all good. Not sure if they’re now to high, but I assume mot will adjust them when they check?! Can you pulled by cops if they think they’re too dazzling? My old golf was super bright on dipped oncoming cars would be flashing miles away (not literally) but not really to fussed about oncoming as long as I can see.

My old golf was super bright on dipped oncoming cars would be flashing miles away (not literally) but not really to fussed about oncoming as long as I can see.

What a great attitude to have.

Reactions: SamR92, KenL, AlS3BE and 1 other person
Well obviously if I was seriously blinding oncoming cars to the point they’d be coming to stop I would rectify, but not my problem If my headlight are brighter
:chuncky:

it kind of is your problem if you're dazzling other drivers ***.

Reactions: SamR92 and KenL
So if you bought a new car with standard bulbs and it passes mot with no problem, but your still getting odd oncoming car flashing, would you really change the set up reducing your vision at night?! I know I wouldn’t. If it’s legal and and standard what more can one do? If I had put in aftermarket extra super duper bright bulbs and adjusted headlights to shine higher, then yes I would have a heart to change it, as I wouldn’t want a fine either.. but if you feel I’m still unconsiderate then fair enough. I hope I don’t dazzle you one day

You said that after adjusting you're headlights yourself you're "Not sure if they’re now to high".
You also said you're getting flashed by oncoming drivers.
You also said that you're "not really to fussed about oncoming as long as I can see".

Go Figure.

Reactions: SamR92 and KenL
Yes I’m not to sure if the Audi lights are too high...

But my golf headlights were set up correctly and I would be flashed by oncoming cars, and yes I did say I wasn’t too fused about being flashed as my car was legal!

But back to my current Audi, they were to low and have adjusted them, haven’t been flashed in this car, but want to make sure I’m on the right side of the law. Hence why I’m asking about the Audi.

So there we are lemon drizzle cake

I suggest you take your car to an MOT garage or a dealer and have them inspect/adjust your lights. As your method would not allow for a very precise measurement.....scatter lighting, focusing, etc. plus 4 feet sounds way too high. Blinding other drivers, especially older drivers whose eyes take more time to recover is a danger to all involved.

Reactions: SamR92
The top of the beam on my headlights is just below 3 ft, 4 ft is too high

Taking your advice and to get this wrapped up, ran it to a MOT centre and they managed to get me in between MOTs drivers side was spot on, and passenger side was slightly high and pointing to hedge enough.. so all tweeked up correctly, his suggestion was to have it set down a notch or two in car, to be sure, but fine to leave on high if I prefer.

Not to bad for £15

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, KenL and Jassyo06
Jassyo06
Thanks for that, the mot guy said that, and that a lot of people get confused where to measure the 25ft from (bumper or centre of lights) but all sorted now

Reactions: Jassyo06