Poor sound insulation?

max69vk

Reaction score
Is it me or does the 8P have really poor internal sound insulation?

I've only just started to notice this after having sat in a friends Alfa GTD & the in laws MK6 Golf GTD. From the outside both cars sound like absolute tanks compared to my PD (bearing in mind the Golf is a CR too), yet when inside the cabin they are both virtually silent & in the A3 I hear everything!

Not the most technical of tests but when sat in the Golf & the Alfa I pushed my foot down on the front wheel wells & could feel at least a couple of inches of firm underlay/deadening, in the A3 I'm guessing at 1/2 to an inch of maximum of 'flat' underlay which would explain the difference in internal noise levels.

Does anyone know if the carpets from a 5 door Golf (mk6) would fit an 8P sportback? I'm guessing they would as it should be the same floor pan in both.

It's not your imagination mate. It's the worst interior insulated car I've ever owned (and I owned a Citroen AX!!).

The wife hated it when I used the Bluetooth in the car, as all she complained about was the background noise through the phone.

I've fitted some Dynamat Xtreme in the doors and along the roof where the mic is fitted. Seems to have helped with the road noise.

Thank god it's not just me that thinks that way! I didn't want to go down the dynamat route if possible (the last car had 6 layers of extreme throughout, so it was silent) as I'm going to do an OEM Bluetooth install during the summer the carpet has to come out any way so I may try & get the carpet & deadening from a mk6 & fit it at the same time. Still can't believe Audi cheaped out so badly on this vs VW!

I am the same but I think mines maybe tyres the new 8V is loud as well, my try some dynamat though

to add to this as the noise in my 8P is bad i took some levels first pic is idling, 2nd 50mph and 3rd 70mph
please note there is no food blender in the car lol

Reactions: RS3dan and ryanstewart9
to add to this as the noise in my 8P is bad i took some levels first pic is idling, 2nd 50mph and 3rd 70mph
please note there is no food blender in the car lol

You should hear my Milltek as it vibrates against my rear bumper from inside. Sounds ... interesting

I did sound deadening/proofing on the 4 doors and the booth while I was installing my amps and speakers but it's still very noisy, 90% of the noise comes from the back. When I am due to replace my tyres I will pick some that will produce less road noise.

Have Michelin Primacy 3 on mine now. 69 dB according to the label. Definitely better than the PS3s I had before.

I'm running Continental contact 3s , never noticed the noise really and my last car was a Jag .

For a premium hatchback the noise level is shocking. I had soundproofing installed which helps, tyre choice can make a big difference. It's worth noting that 3dB reduction in tyre noise level is the same as a 50% reduction. Pick your tyres carefully.

Mike X, My other car is a Jaguar the difference between the two cars is massive.

I specifically chose my latest tyres for their dB rating but it's still nowhere near enough of a reduction in noise levels, it just amazes me how much difference there is between the A3 & the Golf which is the same platform car.

You need to soundproof. Under the spare tyre and boot liner there is no sound deadening at all.

You need 2 layers - one the bitumen layer which cancels vibration and then on top of that you need closed cell carpet which dampens the actual noise. It also helps if you get some high temp bitumen layer and sound deaden the floorwell of the car from underneath it too!

If you are looking for bitumen adhesive google 'ideal sealants' they do bitumen flashing tape in 10m lengths from 75mm up to 300mm wide. I just bought 12 rolls of 100 mm for a garden room that I'm building and can confirm that it will stick to anything (about 3mm thick). That website was half the price of anywhere else.
It's obviously designed for building work but I think it would be an effective, easy and cost effective way of lining your rear floor plan. Once it's on you won't get it off though.