Porsche 911 to RS3

DarrenA5

Reaction score
Having had a S3, A5, BM M135 over the last 5 years, I decided in May 15 that I wanted to scratch the Porsche itch.

So I purchased a 2009 Porsche 911 C4S from a Main Dealer. She is superb and still is an occasion every time you go out in her. And that's the problem ... She gets very little use with a young family, work and simly not wanting to leave her anywhere. So last year I completed 1400 miles and 600 miles since May this year, doing many more miles in a 12 plate Corsa and my wife's car.

So with an aim to go back to one car, I'm looking to sell the 911 and purchase a new RS3 Saloon. This should give me the great every day car I'm looking for and also something that will match the Porsche performance. The great news is that in 2.5 years I will have only lost £3k on the 911 based on a main dealer bid, but I'm sure I could get more if I tried privately. The bad news is that these cars are hard to track down and some of the Audi dealers are so far up their do dahs it is unbelievable !

Do people think I'm mind in changing out ? Many of friends think so, but the way I look at it, is I can get out having lost minimal cash, I'm getting a more useable car, plus at 8 year old the 911 could start to cost !

Reactions: AudiNutta
I used to own a 911 and like you I used it rarely. Sold in the end as it mostly sat in the drive. RS3 is quicker tbf and used daily. It really is 2 cars in one, soft ish and quiet in comfort then totally banzai in dynamic! You will love it.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc, DarrenA5 and jimojameso
I used to own a 911 and like you I used it rarely. Sold in the end as it mostly sat in the drive. RS3 is quicker tbf and used daily. It really is 2 cars in one, soft ish and quiet in comfort then totally banzai in dynamic! You will love it.

TX.

I agree with TX. Back in August whilst in France between Caen and St Malo I had a bit of fun with 2 French guys, one driving an R8 V10, the other a Porsche 911. Over about 30 miles it was very clear that my 2016 RS3 HB was more than a match for the Porsche both in terms of acceleration and handling. The R8 V10 was a different matter and whilst the Porsche was left standing the RS3 wasn't too far behind. Of course we were all driving carefully and keeping to speed limits at all times .. not sure I'd be buying an RS3 saloon but that's a matter of taste .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Terminator x and Dunedin

TX.

TX. Thanks.

I think what you are saying confirms exactly my initial thoughts. I drove a Sportback at the weekend on a accompanied drive and whilst I pushed on, it was still somewhat restrictive . However in those 15 minutes I was blown away by a car that was so easy to drive, was a pussy cat in one moment and a crazy animal the next. It is a two for one as you say.

Before the 911, I had a M135 and for the cheap fun factor and performance it was a great all rounder - something that I need get back to.

I initially had decided it was a salon to be different, especially after seeing a rather nice black one. However, after seeing the Sportback in the flesh, it has started to really grow on me. I love the chunky squat like shape that the saloon hasn't quite got.

Reactions: RGBARGEE, 45bvtc and Terminator x
I had a C4S Targa. Loved it. Long time ago now.

Where the comparison favours the 911:
  • Much better looking - curvy, sexy and you have to look back at it
  • Steering is much better
  • Feel is much better
  • People know it is a top sports car
  • Ongoing value DESTROYS the RS3
Where the comparison favours the RS3:
  • The RS3 is a LOT faster but pick up is a bit worse
  • Launch control!! ****** brilliant
  • Practicality - This is not even close. As above - it is 2 cars in one - a Jekyll and Hyde
  • Maintenance is less BUT not a lot less - Given depreciation the 911 is actually cheaper to run overall!
  • The NOISE beats the 911 and I had a sports exhaust on the Targa
  • You feel you can completely rag the Audi and no harm will come of it - which is extra peace of mind

My conclusion

911 > RS3 - all day long. In fact, I would swap the RS3 right now and buy back the C4S Targa which would be about £35 now.

UNLESS

Like me - practicality is key. I have 3 boys, all teenagers now, and I cycle.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I find it odd when people refer to their car as "her" and "she". There, I've said it.

Reactions: Raiden, Bristle Hound and DrEskimo
All my cars have names and are either male or female.
I have 'Bridget' the Midget. Nefertiti the RS3 , RZO the rat A4 Avant, all my cars have names!

Reactions: Raiden and AudiNutta
Yeah, we had this conversation a couple of months back..

Some people view their cars as an extension to their family. I only started doing this once I owned cars that I actually 'loved'.

Currently, the GTC is called Ben, obviously male.
The RS3 is called The Beast, and is also male.
The Lancia is called The Grale and that is female.

All Ferraris are definitely female.

Reactions: AudiNutta and RGBARGEE
It's nice having a 2 seater sports car like a 911 sat in the garage for a nice sunny day. I had an R8 for just over 3 years, and was rarely used other than for just that, days out on a weekend when the weather was nice. But even then, it was only used when I wanted to go somewhere that I was happy parking it. Most of the time I used my daily car, for daily use (obviously) and most weekends, as it was more comfortable, more practical, easier to drive, and could park it anywhere. So every now and then I would have to make an effort to take it out to either justify it being there, or to give it a run to stop the battery dying.

It costs a lot of money having something nice for a weekend too. Would I do it again? Yes and no. Would love a 911 Turbo or GT3, but the reality of tying that much cash into a car that rarely gets used is getting hard to justify. Especially when cars like an RS3 can go almost as quickly, is probably more comfortable, more practical, and you can park it in most places (though RS3's attract certain unwanted attention) and it costs a less than half to buy new.

Reactions: DeanoC
If you want a good price for the 911, I've just had success selling my S3 on www.tootle.co.uk. If you have something a bit different you can get several people fighting over it. I ended up getting £2K more than my Audi dealer offered. Simple and free to use.

It's nice having a 2 seater sports car like a 911 sat in the garage for a nice sunny day. I had an R8 for just over 3 years, and was rarely used other than for just that, days out on a weekend when the weather was nice. But even then, it was only used when I wanted to go somewhere that I was happy parking it.

Yeah, this is called 'life'. It gets in the ****** way.
When you and I were young the priority would have been the 2-seater. Now, it is about practicality and suddenly we use words like 'cannot justify'.
It's sad.
I try hard to rebel and need some madness in my life to stop me feeling old. Hence my car collection.
However, I make sure that I take them all out even if in storage. Took the GTC to the gym last night, dark, roof down... loved it.

I have thought about the solution though....
Buy a Huracan Spider and add a tow bar for a trailer to carry my bikes and kids... simples :)