Possible boost leak ?

Ted Lindsay

Reaction score
So the thing is the Intercooler pipe on the drivers side. I believe is leaking. I have tried a leak test but nothing came out.

When I go down under my car, the pipe isn’t fully seated and I have to push it back in some more, and obviously when I go above 2.5k rev it doesn’t feel like it’s pulling; but if I put the pipe back in it pulls well for a while then slow again.

Is it a good idea to try and find some new clips and a new hose for the pipe as it does feel loose and under pressure it might open up?

It’s an A3 2005 2.0tfsi.

Thanms

Yes, that pipe shouldn't be loose so get it tightened up with new clips, or a decent jubilee clip.

Yes, that pipe shouldn't be loose so get it tightened up with new clips, or a decent jubilee clip.

Okay, thanks maybe the clips have worn, they do seem to come off very easily.
Are jubilee clips easy to find ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you feel air leaking or hear it?

Well funnily enough there is a kind of hissing coming from the drivers side wheel well. But I’m unsure if it’s related. I can’t get the boost pressure high enough for it to recreate it like whilst it’s driving

Yep check the condition of the pipe no holes or splits they are fairly strong the rubber if it's ok then just get the clips and tighten it back up and enjoy

Okay, thanks maybe the clips have worn, they do seem to come off very easily.
Are jubilee clips easy to find ?

You can get them at most places like Halfords, motor factors, GSF parts, Euro Car Parts, Ebay, etc etc. I don't think you'd struggle to get hold of any, and I'd probably buy a handful of various sizes just incase others need replacing later on. Always handy to have in a drawer somewhere.

Reactions: RS4B5
You can get them at most places like Halfords, motor factors, GSF parts, Euro Car Parts, Ebay, etc etc. I don't think you'd struggle to get hold of any, and I'd probably buy a handful of various sizes just incase others need replacing later on. Always handy to have in a drawer somewhere.

Perfect, thanks man, in the meantime how do these normal clips come off the pipe; I’ve tried with some pliers and haven’t had much luck?

Yep check the condition of the pipe no holes or splits they are fairly strong the rubber if it's ok then just get the clips and tighten it back up and enjoy

I’ve heard that yep that normally the clips go and the pipe is ok. I just need to get it off now!

Perfect, thanks man, in the meantime how do these normal clips come off the pipe; I’ve tried with some pliers and haven’t had much luck?

If you are careful you can use molegrips etc, but if they are that loose then pull the pipe off, quirt some fairy liquid around the clip and slide it off?
Obviously wipe off the fairy liquid before applying the jubilee clip or it may not seat correctly and slide around when you are tightening it up.

If you are careful you can use molegrips etc, but if they are that loose then pull the pipe off, quirt some fairy liquid around the clip and slide it off?
Obviously wipe off the fairy liquid before applying the jubilee clip or it may not seat correctly and slide around when you are tightening it up.

I see well the thing is, is I can’t even find the bit to clip it off, on the far side I can but on the Intercooler side there is nothing I can grip onto..

Sadly Ted, there isn't much I can do to help from here.
If the hose is that loose, can you not pull it free? I assume you can grip onto it with your hands and pull?
If it won't pull free, then it's probably seated quite firmly and doesn't need new clips?
It's very difficult to diagnose the situation, unfortunately.