Possible new RS3 owner!!

FinnMc1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Very near to getting a 2017 RS3 x demo and although not really a big consideration I'm curious what realistic fuel figures I can expect. I've read about 25mpg in reviews and such but is that attainable day to day or do you have to drive really carefully to get that?

Any input would be great, I'm torn between and S3 and RS3, obviously the RS3 was a totally different machine but its also a good bit more expensive. Any problems or regrets with the RS3s, what are the LED headlights like by the way?

Thanks,
Finn

All MPG's I quote are calculated tank to tank.

S3 real MPG is 30mpg on a run. 300 miles sat on the motorway I got 35mpg. Darting around town, expect 21-25mpg.

RS3, someone I know with one said he sees sub 10mpg flat out and under 20 with relatively careful driving.

Generally c300 miles per tank for me, not sure what this is as mpg. In the early days I kept an eye on it and it was 26-30mpg from memory.

Still totally love mine almost 2 years down the line.

Under 20mpg with careful driving is nonsense imho.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Radman and 45bvtc
Generally c300 miles per tank for me, not sure what this is as mpg. In the early days I kept an eye on it and it was 26-30mpg from memory.

Still totally love mine almost 2 years down the line.

Under 20mpg with careful driving is nonsense imho.

TX.

That's good going, if I drive mine quickly and local for a full tank I normally see 290 miles range. On a tank with say 20% putting your foot down and the rest gentle, I see 350 miles range.

I also agree sub 20mpg is nonsense, but that's what I was told. I'd like to think you'd get close on 30mpg driving like a saint. When I had a demo, I drove it for 7 and a half hours.. all testing the car, never dropped below 21mpg recorded on the computer. But I did burn off a tank in 200 miles or so....

Hey guys, thanks for the info, that sounds reasonable to me. I don't expect high numbers but below 20 would be a bit of a joke. I think on a quick 20 min test drive I got about mid 20s but I didn't get many opportunities to gun it, still considering that was from cold and in traffic I was impressed.
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm edging closer to just going for it!!

Do it. Or you'll regret it. Trust me. You don't buy an RS3 for the fuel figures. :smug::smug:

Reactions: dunes7 and AudiNutta
Hey guys, thanks for the info, that sounds reasonable to me. I don't expect high numbers but below 20 would be a bit of a joke. I think on a quick 20 min test drive I got about mid 20s but I didn't get many opportunities to gun it, still considering that was from cold and in traffic I was impressed.
Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm edging closer to just going for it!!

Expect less than 20 if you're booting it. Remember that you can expect the real MPG to be a good 5-8MPG less than quoted on the computer!
I had 43MPG on the S3 and it calculated to 31!!

The car is worth it, if you're doing silly mileage then you need to think but reasonable use should be fine and comparable to an S3.

The mpg above was worked out from petrol receipts vs miles travelled so will be accurate.

TX.

PS I'm on 33k miles in less than 2 years so it can be done ;)

I won't be using it for commuting, will just be for fun basically so really the mileage be it 20 or 30mpg is not a problem. I think I'll go for it. The sound was just amazing!!

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 176
Reactions: Terminator x and AudiNutta
I won't be using it for commuting, will just be for fun basically so really the mileage be it 20 or 30mpg is not a problem. I think I'll go for it. The sound was just amazing!!

Go for it !! That's a good looking car in Daytona with the black pack, you mention an x demo, how quickly would you be able to get it ?

Its got a couple of marks on the alloys I want sorted (very minor) but otherwise should be good to go. Probably next week I would think. Its got the B&O speaker upgrade which I had in my A5 too. I guess it won't be used much with that engine though!!

The mpg above was worked out from petrol receipts vs miles travelled so will be accurate.

TX.

PS I'm on 33k miles in less than 2 years so it can be done ;)

Yes I use an app called "Road Trip", keeps a track of every tank and gives a total average which mine is 24MPG.. it's great :)

I do 10000 miles per year of mixed roads and driving. I would say I'm about as average as you'll get and I've achieved 25.9mpg on average over 6000 miles.

Really going for it down some country lanes I seen 17mpg. On a steady drive I've seen 35mpg countless times. But yes, the average will be somewhere between 25-27mpg.

The long 7th gear really helps if motorway driving.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I've done 12k miles in 6 months in mine, mostly motorway cruising and I regularly see 35+ reported as the 'average' for a 190-ish mile journey.

That come in at less than half a tank, too, so theoretical range is 380 from a full tank, which would be 29.7mpg in actuality.

Interestingly I've noticed the average has improved by about 10% in the last few thousand miles, so the engine is probably loosening up a bit more.

I get about 350-400 miles per tank on my S3, and that's mostly private roads traveling anywhere between 80-100mph

Reactions: James 123 and AudiNutta
I find MPGs are only loosely related to speed, and more about how smooth the driving is. I can do 80 and get the same MPG as 70 if the drive is a smooth one.

I get about 350-400 miles per tank on my S3, and that's mostly private roads traveling anywhere between 80-100mph

I didn't make much sense of the "private roads" statement until I saw the speed, had a chuckle to myself...

Reactions: wab172uk
When I had mine, in crawling traffic going uphill, I'd get low double figures MPG (in the teens)

I forget to look at the stats 24/25 times I drive but my worst IIRC was 18MPG over a proper blast. The best was an incredible 38MPG coming back from Alton Towers with my sons. We were listening to music and I was pootling at about 60MPG all along the M1 and M25 concentrating on minimal braking and granny-like acceleration.

Reactions: dbm
Deposit is down guys!! I can not wait!!
Hopefully get her on Saturday after a couple of marks on the alloys are sorted.
Thanks for all the info. Mpg sounds very good compared to what my old 8L S3 was like. I'll get some pictures up once it's detailed.
By the way will my A3 8V wheel spacers fit? Not going with the trade in so I'll have them lying around.

Deposit is down guys!! I can not wait!!
Hopefully get her on Saturday after a couple of marks on the alloys are sorted.
Thanks for all the info. Mpg sounds very good compared to what my old 8L S3 was like. I'll get some pictures up once it's detailed.
By the way will my A3 8V wheel spacers fit? Not going with the trade in so I'll have them lying around.

What marks on the wheels? Glad to see someone is excited, I'm stressing myself out too much this evening about finances.

Yes they should fit, all standard across the range.

Very slight mark on one rear alloy and some light scratches on the other side. Nothing major but I want it corrected before I take it.

That's great. Not sure if it will need them but I might try it out and see how it looks with them on.

Picked up the car yesterday evening. It is phenomenal!! Great drive home. Delighted I went with it over the S3.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

Reactions: dno_uk, Terminator x and AudiNutta