Possible to retrofit Mobile Phone Prep - High?

allanmb

Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible to retrofit the 'Mobile Phone Prep - High' option on a new facelift A4? I would like to have access to the online services like advanced traffic and google maps. Is this possible? And if so, how much would I be looking at? I already have MMI 3G if that makes any difference.
Cheers
Allan

I am wondering if it is possible to retrofit the 'Mobile Phone Prep - High' option on a new facelift A4? I would like to have access to the online services like advanced traffic and google maps. Is this possible? And if so, how much would I be looking at? I already have MMI 3G if that makes any difference.
Cheers
Allan

Yes, defo possible, has been done a few times - but I understand, depending on your original set-up it could be as much as £2-3k!
'NHN' on here might be able to help or if not then a guy called 'II Ben' over on 'A5OC' can do it for you.

Cheers
Keef

Reactions: allanmb and NHN
On your year of car & sig spec, haven't you got 3G+ installed?

On your year of car & sig spec, haven't you got 3G+ installed?

No, the standard is Mobile Prep - Low. I don't have the SIM slot (which I don't need), nor do I have the ability to connect to a phone to use the remote sim access which is the part I want.

I'm sure mine is 3G not 3G+ it is a bit odd that you cant use the bluetooth connection for the data connection that the 3G+ needs for the extra google map detail ......

Unless I am wrong about this ??

That's exactly what I thought. But it would seem you need the option before you can connect data :-(

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this is possible ?? Or has anyone already had this done ??

I take it nobody know whether or not this is possible? If so, please add some info to the thread...

I am starting to lose hope that this isn't possible. I guess it might be worth asking Audi but I imagine they will charge big bucks...

It is possible, but its very expensive.

Thanks! This appears to be mostly concerning upgrading the unit from MMI-3G to a 3G+ rather than just the mobile prep high, but there are some useful pieces of information in there. It will take a while to trawl through it all.

I did, however, notice this little nugget:
"Note that the tel_settings under diagnose/settings lets you turn on and off HFC/NAD/etc. This means you can also enable Telephone Preparation High, without a cradle or SIM slot. Unfortunately, I've not been able to test it because iPhones don't support rSAP! "

That sounds very promising! It basically just requires accessing the hidden menu in the MMI. I'm not sure if my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 supports rSAP but it's worth a shot!

You will need this for rSAP http://www.android-rsap.com/installation.html

You will also need to root the device ... google this for a how to...

I am not sure if this will do what you need or not as far as I can see to have the mobile phone prep hi you need the CD head unit with the sim card slot in it .... but I am still trying to confirm this ... also to use the in car areal you need to install the cable as well ....

Last edited:
Reactions: allanmb
You will need this for rSAP How To Install rSAP

You will also need to root the device ... google this for a how to...

I am not sure if this will do what you need or not as far as I can see to have the mobile phone prep hi you need the CD head unit with the sim card slot in it .... but I am still trying to confirm this ... also to use the in car areal you need to install the cable as well ....

Not sure if I will need the in-car aerial. I will try and get my phone prepared for trying this out at the weekend and I will report back :)

I also did find information that seemed to confirm that if your car is MMI 3G you only need to swap the head unit...

"For 3G MMI it's a direct swap and the only wiring needed is an antenna wire for GSM for google. The NA cars should have that connection waiting on the antenna though"

Have a look at this one as there is also a lot of info in it

New Google MMI installed in 3G car 100% working - A5_OC

Thanks! This appears to be mostly concerning upgrading the unit from MMI-3G to a 3G+ rather than just the mobile prep high, but there are some useful pieces of information in there. It will take a while to trawl through it all.

I did, however, notice this little nugget:
"Note that the tel_settings under diagnose/settings lets you turn on and off HFC/NAD/etc. This means you can also enable Telephone Preparation High, without a cradle or SIM slot. Unfortunately, I've not been able to test it because iPhones don't support rSAP! "

That sounds very promising! It basically just requires accessing the hidden menu in the MMI. I'm not sure if my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 supports rSAP but it's worth a shot!

I noticed that too. I was thrashing around in my 3G MMI hidden menu the other day and saw those settings. Also network settings like DHCP / Static IP etc. You'd think that if phone prep low was written in stone by being hardware dependent the software wouldn't be installed. I'm hoping it's a simple case of tweaking the settings. I left it well alone but…..hmmmm

Ok,just had a little play. In the Hidden Menu; changing Tel /diagnose/settings/no WIFI/NAD/BT/HFC AND AMI settings/no Aux/ AMI BT/AMI made no difference whatsoever with my Blackberry. Checked Audi BT device properties [refresh service list] still had only Hands Free unit and Headset Audio Gateway. No addition settings or features on MMI.

Maybe a bit of 5F coding needed?

Hey all,

I recently picked up a 2013 A4 and I was wondering whether it can be retrofitted with Mobile Prep High.

I am not too familiar with the specifics yet so I will describe what I know.
It has two SD card slots, with no SIM.
The MyAudi site says it has Radio "High".

Thanks

Hey all,

I recently picked up a 2013 A4 and I was wondering whether it can be retrofitted with Mobile Prep High.

I am not too familiar with the specifics yet so I will describe what I know.
It has two SD card slots, with no SIM.
The MyAudi site says it has Radio "High".

Thanks
Hi, and welcome to Audisport.net. Your best bet is contact @NHN. He's our resident demon retro-installer.

You'll need a minimum of three posts before you can start a conversation, though.

Hi, and welcome to Audisport.net. Your best bet is contact @NHN. He's our resident demon retro-installer.

You'll need a minimum of three posts before you can start a conversation, though.

Thanks for that, hopefully given the time since the thread being started there is good and cheaper news out there haha.

What I would say is, be prepared to wait a while for Nigel to reply. He's unbelievably busy (mainly because he's damned good!) and could have upwards of a hundred messages to plough through in any given day.