Possible Turbo Problem - Limp Mode - Advice Needed

Bramley

Reaction score
Hey,

This has happened to me on 2 occasions over the space of 3 days.

Driving along in 4th gear and plant my foot to the floor to overtake and when it gets probably around 3500rpm it feels like it has hit the limiter and then goes into limp mode. There is no warning lights on the dash etc, just no power.

If I turn the car off and leave for 10 mins then it will go back to normal.

What can this be? is my turbo going?

My car is a 2.0 TDI 140 BKD
Help will be much appreciated

Many Thanks

Alex

In a word. Yes. :(

But to explain a little more, it'll be sticky turbo veins, which cause an overboost fault code.

Get it plugged in and scanned, if it reads overboost. pretty much 100% it's 1 x turbo pooped.

As you may know it's stupidly popular for these Turbos to do this, massive let down on Audi's side.

Whats your current mileage?

It is possible to remove and clean, mr muscle and all that.

I wouldn't though, use yours as an exchange and get a re-con one, the last thing youd want to do is to take the thing off twice.

OR use it as an excuse to go BIG turbo...Then comes clutch issues though....and mapping costs...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I thought it'd be something like that, can an air leak or something like that cause it???

Hmm I thought it'd be something like that, can an air leak or something like that cause it???

I doubt it, the symptoms you describe seem bang on turbo issues, but rather than speculate, simply get it plugged in, previous fault codes will be stored.

Bobs your uncle.

i had exactly the same mate two weeks after buying the car and more anoying one week after serviceing it so had to throw away my new oil and filter after the turbo was reconditioned and put another £40 worth of oil and another new filter , i got mine reconditioned at turbo clinic leeds they were very good and fast , you either go for there collect and return service or go to there workshop i live in cumbria so went for the collect and return which was great there courior collected from the guy that was doing my car and i spoke with them next day about the condition of the internals and they reconditioned with quallity parts and the courior returned it all within 3 or 4 days, some people clean the vaines but depending on the mileage on your car this may be a waste of time mine was 110,000 and on original turbo which is very good going from what i here so didnt even consider cleaning , all has been great sinse, hope this helps mate cheers

Hey,

This has happened to me on 2 occasions over the space of 3 days.

Driving along in 4th gear and plant my foot to the floor to overtake and when it gets probably around 3500rpm it feels like it has hit the limiter and then goes into limp mode. There is no warning lights on the dash etc, just no power.

If I turn the car off and leave for 10 mins then it will go back to normal.

What can this be? is my turbo going?

My car is a 2.0 TDI 140 BKD
Help will be much appreciated

Many Thanks

Alex

i had exactly the same mate two weeks after buying the car and more anoying one week after serviceing it so had to throw away my new oil and filter after the turbo was reconditioned and put another £40 worth of oil and another new filter , i got mine reconditioned at turbo clinic leeds they were very good and fast , you either go for there collect and return service or go to there workshop i live in cumbria so went for the collect and return which was great there courior collected from the guy that was doing my car and i spoke with them next day about the condition of the internals and they reconditioned with quallity parts and the courior returned it all within 3 or 4 days, some people clean the vaines but depending on the mileage on your car this may be a waste of time mine was 110,000 and on original turbo which is very good going from what i here so didnt even consider cleaning , all has been great sinse, hope this helps mate cheers

How much did the process cost you for your turbo to be sorted out?

Sticky turbo vanes mate caused by carbon and soot build up over the years unfortunately! Gonna need a recon one as the guys say, forget cleaning it fella. The vanes stick open when under full load and the engine thinks it has a major issue so goes into limp mode to save itself, I lived with it for a year on my old car, it will only do it under load uphill or booting it on motorways. Dangerous though, try get it sorted asap.
It is because people don't use the turbo enough as there is so much low down torque you can nearly always change up before 2000 rpm.
Cheers

Sticky turbo vanes mate caused by carbon and soot build up over the years unfortunately! Gonna need a recon one as the guys say, forget cleaning it fella. The vanes stick open when under full load and the engine thinks it has a major issue so goes into limp mode to save itself, I lived with it for a year on my old car, it will only do it under load uphill or booting it on motorways. Dangerous though, try get it sorted asap.
It is because people don't use the turbo enough as there is so much low down torque you can nearly always change up before 2000 rpm.
Cheers

How much would i be looking to pay for a Re conditioned turbo?

Anyone got a place they would reccomend or is it just Find one on Ebay?

dont use ebay not for a turbo mate theres been a lot of problems with them in the past turbo clinic was £325 + vat for rebuild but i went for an uprated billet alloy compressor wheel instead of the standard cast item so was an extra £100 , there service and knoledge was very good

How much would i be looking to pay for a Re conditioned turbo?

Anyone got a place they would reccomend or is it just Find one on Ebay?

Oh dear, well in that case I might just chop it in for a Hybrid!