Possible upgrade to C8

Buxton2901

Reaction score
After recently buying and subsequently rejecting a c7.5 S6 I'm looking to buy a c8 instead. Looking at the 3.0tdi 286ps.
Anything to look out for? Issues?
What spec is minimum?
Budget is around 31k
Thanks
Paul

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
Well known gremlins (from the top of my head):

1. You will find the gearbox on the 50 TDI sluggish if it hasn't had a software update
2. Dashboard rattles galore! (affects nearly all cars)
3. Pre-sense camera error warning in dashboard (only goes away after you've locked the car for 10+ mins )
4. Huuuuuge turning circle! (ok not really a bug/fault)

But (IMHO) the positives make it a great car:

1. Best looking large estate car out there, if you go for the Avant.
2. Good ride quality and handling (a massive upgrade from the C7)
3. Stunning interior

I'm on my second C8. First was a September 2019 build car and the second an April 2021 build. Other than the points raised by Psychopomp1 I would add:
  • In 2020 the MMI system was upgraded. Older cars can be identified by having a memory card and sim card slot in the drivers armrest and USB-A sockets. Later cars have no card slots and have USB-C connectors.
  • Later cars also have wireless Apple CarPlay whilst earlier cars have a fixed connection version. Neither have wireless AndroidAuto
  • Early cars (and I think this included the 50TDi) were the subject of a recall to have the starter/aternator replaced worth checking if any car you consider was affected and if so has had it done
  • At some point in 2020 Audi stopped including a jack in the tools provided with car. All cars rely on a a tyre repair kit rather than having a spare. Check the kit is there and in date
  • Assist systems tend to through up errors if you turn the car off and then turn it back on within a short period of time. This seems to be a bug that affects all VAG cars wth MIB-3 (happens on my wife's Golf8)
  • Early cars may be better optioned as there was more choice, but from mid 2019 onwards the only way to get things like 4 zone ac or sunroof was to buy the Vorsprung spec
All in all these are great cars and a definite step up from the C7

do you think this is worth it?
I want a car with the virtual cockpit dials and also need quattro so the 50tdi Is one I'm looking at.

Milege is a little higher than I'd like.
It's been owned by a company so salesmans car

do you think this is worth it?
I want a car with the virtual cockpit dials and also need quattro so the 50tdi Is one I'm looking at.

Milege is a little higher than I'd like.
It's been owned by a company so salesmans car

Car looks OK. Can't comment on price as I am not close to used A6 pricing. Yes the mileage is high but as long as it is well serviced that should not be an issue and in reality most of that will be low stress motorway miles. Check it has had all the transmission fluid at 38k, should also have had brake fluid at 2 years. Presume it will be on varaible ervice regime so when was its most recent service and when is the next (bioth oil and ionspection) due. Not sure but are there any extra items at 60k or soon after?

Interesting that it is at a Kia dealer, presume it was pxed there, or Lookers would have moved it to one of their Audi dealerships. You would want to get a good 12 month warranty with it as part of the deal. The 3rd year of the Audi warranty runs out at 60k miles.

All said probably worth a trip to the dealer to have a look, unless it is a long way for you to go

Yeah it's 120miles away so might just get it delivered then I have 14 days distance selling if any issues that I'm not told about

Yeah it's 120miles away so might just get it delivered then I have 14 days distance selling if any issues that I'm not told about

From what I have read on other forums with people buying remotely, ask the garage to do a video of the car and get them to be 100% honest about any faults such as blemishes in the paintwork etc, then if the car arrives and has things not as you expected you have some recourse to reject the car

Yeah it looks like they offer a 14day guarantee so that's good. Waiting for a video

Wow. Nearly 60k in 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buxton2901
I have early 50tdi Quattro.
Apart from the drivetrain software (which any Audi garage should update and the memory seat issue (also rectified by software update) this is a great car.
I think the key is to get it checked/serviced by reputable Audi garage to ensure that everything is up to date.

All models have wireless CarPlay and Android auto which in early versions was locked as default. You can unlock it with OBD eleven or VCDS.

Tiptronic gearbox is perhaps not as fast as STronic used in 2.0 engines but it’s much more smooth without jerks.
After the drivetrain update car drives very well.

Also, this is the same 3.0 tdi engine as in S6 with a few minor differences like sport diff vs regular diff. With stage 1 Tunning you will easily get 330-350 bhp and over 700 Nm
It will also further enhance reaction on pressing the throttle.

Pointless really to get S6 in C8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and Buxton2901
What spec options are there on a c8?
The car I'm looking at is sline and has the virtual dash and says it has interior lighting pack too. Has memory seats.

Anything else I should look for?
Do these cars have tech pack and if so what does that give you.

Thanks

The car I'm looking at is sline and has the virtual dash and says it has interior lighting pack too. Has memory seats.

Thanks

My one is S-Line without digital dash
It was already preconfigured by first owner.
If you do a lot of motorway mileage it is nice to have Active Cruise Control ACC which for whatever reason was only sold as a part of a pack rather than on its own.
S-Line pretty much comes with all you need and it looks much nicer than SE or Sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Buxton2901

Thanks

If the car has the digital dash then it has the Tech Pack which in addition to the digital dash also gives you a larger display area in the upper of the two touch screens and wireless phone charging. S-Line comes with electric seats and memory on the drivers seat.All cars get LED lighting in the interior but the ability to change colours was an option. I will PM you a brochure for the C8 (when Audi still did them!) which hopefully will help you iunderstand what your car should have as standard and what was optional. As I previously mentioned with the move WLTP emissions rules Audi dropped most options from the cars and they only becam available with the fully loaded Vorsprung model.