Possible wheel bearing

Seantdi

Reaction score
Hi folks.
Have a humming noise coming from my car (2012 2.0 tdi Quattro)
Sounds like a wheel bearing but I have had it up on stands and there is no rock or play in any of the wheels. They seem OK when turned by hand also!
Sound don't seem to change when driving true bends either.
Anyone ever have anything similar??
Thanks in advance

I did all the obvious bearing checks when i had a humming noise coming from front drivers. There was only humming, changed it noise went away 2 weeks later the other side started changed that all was good. Maybe the tests u do only show when there's advanced wear.

I honestly can't tell where the humming noise is coming from. Sometimes I think it's the front and other times it sounds like the back..

I had a drone sound when one of mine went. The car sounded like an airplane and got louder and louder with milage. I've read they don't cause wheel wobble when shot, the bearings are locked in and can only be heard at certain speeds so jacking up and spinning and rocking the wheel you won't find it, which was true for me. Apparently they go in pairs as well so don't be surprised if you get it replaced and the other side goes as well.

Well, when I initially got bad noises coming from my 2000 B5 VW Passat 4Motion, I assumed worst case scenario and thought it would be the front differential!
Swopped from summer to winter wheels/tyres - noise still there and like others was unable to detect any vibration/noises when jacking up wheels!
So, I got brave and booked it into my local VW dealership with the instruction that if it was front wheel bearing, just replace both sides - got a phone call back from them "our technician said that it is only one side right now, but if it was his car he would replace both sides" - I replied that I had made that clear when booking the car in, get the job done please.
That sorted that car out for remainder of its life in my ownership.

Reactions: Seantdi
Same as the others, none of the normal checks worked, but had a drone that got louder as wheel speed increased. When I had the bearings changed one of them was purple so that gave it away!

What tyres you got fitted? Pirelli are notorious for noise that is similar to wheel bearing drone. Had to change my rear tyre to get rid of it.

I had a wheel bearing go on my B8. Sounded like a plane above 30mph but was fine when it was jacked up. Think it was caused by a pot hole I hit a few weeks earlier. Either a ball gets flat spot or the outer race chips.

What tyres you got fitted? Pirelli are notorious for noise that is similar to wheel bearing drone. Had to change my rear tyre to get rid of it.
Not sure on brand. They were on the car when I bought it.
I had thought of maybe tyres but hard to see them causing the noise all of a sudden?

Mine went this year, none of the normal checks helped me identify which wheel it was only that I could tell it was from the front, I guessed at drivers side and was lucky, make sure you get good quality bearings when getting them changed, stay away from the Chinese rubbish , think I paid around £90 for an SKF kit and fitted it myself

Not sure on brand. They were on the car when I bought it.
I had thought of maybe tyres but hard to see them causing the noise all of a sudden?

have a look at the thread on the edges of the tyres if they are uneven and distorted then that might be the problem. I'll see if i can dig up a picture for reference.

Here you go. The thread on the inner edge was pretty ********.

IMG 20181214 WA0006

Here's a video of my car with the drone noise.

When I took it Midland VW they put it up on the ramps and with one person spinning the wheel somebody else listened at the back of the hub with a mechanics stethoscope on the hub. They can hear the rumble of the duff bearing.
Just spinning it and listening you couldn't hear anything. The rumble is too low pitched and not loud enough at low RPM .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Mech...en-Noise-Probe-Tool-STEPHOSCOPE/253977440620?

If it helps, on my 2000 B5 Passat 4Motion, it sounded like someone had swopped my tyres for the type that is/was fitted with army style tyres, wha wha etc!