Possibly new battery needed, advice required.

T.Will

Reaction score
Yesterday, I tried to start the car but it wouldn't start. ESP Fault popped up referring me to check the owners manual. I tried to start the car again this morning and it wouldn't start.

It doesn't turn over it sounds like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_OG1YxarzkcZng3TklGOVcwWk0/view?usp=sharing

The battery warning light came on just now, trying to get this recording.

This is my current battery, it is dated September 08. I'm assuming I might need a new battery now since its nearly 7 years old. What would be the equivalent I'd need to get from EuroCarParts?

I have 1.4 A TFSI 2008/09

rtqgsw.jpg

Put your reg into ecp and it tells you the batterys available, also the dimensions to double check
7 years is a damn good innings for a battery

Got a multimeter? Check voltage? Sounds like flat battery, maybe you left something on cos it might be something that drained it. Sounds different though, normally with a flat battery, the starter motor just clicks away...

Got a multimeter? Check voltage? Sounds like flat battery, maybe you left something on cos it might be something that drained it. Sounds different though, normally with a flat battery, the starter motor just clicks away...
I have a Blackvue installed, mostly it has been set to 6 hours recording after parking and I had set it to cut off if it drops to 11.8v. I think last week or beginning of this week I set it to record for 48 hours. Maybe I set the cut-off voltage to low on the Power Magic Pro and this drained the battery since I haven't been driving alot the last few days.

I have a Blackvue installed, mostly it has been set to 6 hours recording after parking and I had set it to cut off if it drops to 11.8v. I think last week or beginning of this week I set it to record for 48 hours. Maybe I set the cut-off voltage to low on the Power Magic Pro and this drained the battery since I haven't been driving alot the last few days.

This could be it. Best bet is get the battery checked for voltage and if dead get a new one.

Alternatively, push start or jump start and see if alternator is charging it. Then leave to stand and see if voltage drops too low again after shut down.

Check the battery properly, it may not be dead it could just need a good old charge

It's the cranking amps that needs to be checked, no amps no starting

Thank you all for your input.

I was able to find someone to help jump start it. Had a steering wheel warning light come up but I read previously to turn the wheel a few times and it disappeared. Everything seemed light afterwards, the steering, the biting point was a lot lower than norm. Took it for a 20 min drive or thereabouts and it seems okay now.

Disconnected the Cam for tonight as well.

Thanks again.

Reactions: TimWills28
Was heading out this morning, car wouldn't start, a message displayed "The battery will recharge when driving" or something similar.
Got a jump start, set it in reverse and the parking sensor beeped a steady tone once for a second or 2 (mean anything?). Though the sensors didn't work.

I done a round about 1 hour and a half drive down the A406 and back up through town. By the time I stopped of some where for about an hour, the car just about started up. Risked it again over to Finchley, it took longer to start up (didn't think I was going to make it home). I thought I'd take a pic of the voltage today to report to you guys, so about 20/30 mins after getting home the car wouldn't have any of it when I tried to start it up. Made the same noise as linked in the first post. Here is the reading.

11v7hih.jpg

According to this notice on the battery, I think it needs replacing but since I've never looked at the battery before, I don't know if the whole window lights up or if that red ring is the indicator. As it says replace if clear or yellow. So again, I'm after some advice.

2qcoy6d.jpg

Alright, thanks. Wrong time for it... but hey what can you do!

Reactions: TimWills28
hello. can anybody help. it seems my alternator is working but not charging the battery. i have a tester that goes in the lighter and it shows the alternator as working fine. also the car runs fine once started.also i assume if the alternator was bad then the car would not stay running. it seems some how the battery just isnt getting charged. thanks.

hello. can anybody help. it seems my alternator is working but not charging the battery. i have a tester that goes in the lighter and it shows the alternator as working fine. also the car runs fine once started.also i assume if the alternator was bad then the car would not stay running. it seems some how the battery just isnt getting charged. thanks.

Sounds like the problem is the same as the OP had. If your battery is 7 or so years old then just change it. This is also the time of the year when weak batteries start to play up, it's getting COLD out there.
You can find a new one for anywhere between £60 & £100 but buy an well known brand with at least 5year warranty. Even your local car parts shop would supply one for a good price and the friendly ones would change it for you.

Reactions: 45bvtc
hello.the battery charges up ok in the house then eventually dies. now i had a tester put on that said the alternator wasnt working as the battery wasnt showing as charging while car was running.but the plug in tester said all was fine.and if the alternator wasnt working at all then the car would run till battery went flat then stop but this isnt whats happening. car runs normal even when the battery is flat and not charging.

The car will run ok just on the alternator as it's getting it's power from that.
If you have a voltmeter, connect it to the battery, you should see at least 12v. Start the engine and the voltage should be reading about 14.5v. If it is not, then the alternator is faulty. I take it you have no dash warning lights on.
Still think your battery is on it's way out.