Post your pre and post chip repair pics (include make of kit used)

Daveotto

Staff member
Reaction score
Chipex, Sepang Blue, approx 6 coats of paint with no top coat...good quality stuff, but expensive (ca. £33)

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 4 others
Have you thought about wet sanding it to get it smooth again?

I will be going over mine and touching up any chips and scratches I have...which I've lost count of now...and wet sanding the worst first to level it, applying the colour and repeating till its flat enough to add top coat.
Repeat with the top coat to level it again.

Hoping to get away with p4000. I don't want to make a massive job for myself.

I've gone down as far as p1500! Before to remove texture and working back up is a looooong process.

You've done a good job so far.

Have you got lacquer? You can get 15ml for 1.25 on eBay. Plenty to go around.

Have you thought about wet sanding it to get it smooth again?

I will be going over mine and touching up any chips and scratches I have...which I've lost count of now...and wet sanding the worst first to level it, applying the colour and repeating till its flat enough to add top coat.
Repeat with the top coat to level it again.

Hoping to get away with p4000. I don't want to make a massive job for myself.

I've gone down as far as p1500! Before to remove texture and working back up is a looooong process.

You've done a good job so far.

Have you got lacquer? You can get 15ml for 1.25 on eBay. Plenty to go around.
Think I will buy some lacquer as Chipex does not come with any.

The picture is a little deceiving as the paint is not quiet proud yet.To be honest the blending solution does a very good job of removing excess paint so dint think I need to revert to wet sanding but it is an option.

I did have some good shots of the chips on my old car being repaired with Langka, but sadly can't find them.

I do have some really good shots of a paint less dent removal Jedi removing a nasty fist sized dent from my rear quarter though.

I did have some good shots of the chips on my old car being repaired with Langka, but sadly can't find them.

I do have some really good shots of a paint less dent removal Jedi removing a nasty fist sized dent from my rear quarter though.

Let's see them then!!!

Let's see them then!!!

Well alright then...

These are from 2013, when some scrote used my 2 month old car to climb over a wall putting a fist sized dent in it;

d6e7889cb064e7c7c868c47c4c2cb90e.jpg

I took the car to see a chap called Kris Bull, a self employed and self trained dent masseur, who works in the South Essex, North Kent areas. (He's based near Bluewater). I've used him before, having found his contact details in a very old post on a Ferrari forum.

The dent started out looking pretty nasty...
13f0833fb2f1888ab10190837f6db33e.jpg

9eb008c8755d2312b49f3f466995a8ed.jpg

Getting to work. First step is convince the metal to spring back to something resembling it's "natural" shape.
e0c2266d590dcb1fcc77d6e62299e80e.jpg

At this point the damage was more visible, a nasty ridge about 6" long, and 2 fairly deep dents. Time to start the massage.
20bd0b78e578b2f745a78b4b051259d0.jpg

Once the ridge is out, the dents get probed from behind (stop sniggering at the back);
9487364a7953b58705db51e8b9a1fa4c.jpg

Time passes...
60afd2809c799811984308f82e8eaddb.jpg

Almost there...
893d0aee407f4811002cfc349d12d477.jpg

Done!
41de8f96daa72802048bbaaa7e88b401.jpg

The repair took 2 hours, and despite having watched him hammer, rub, cajole and coerce the metal back to its former shape, I have absolutely no idea how he did it. What is clear though, is that he has a serious talent for fixing stuff. Can't recommend him highly enough.

Kris can be contacted via telephone on 07970 263 999. The damage shown cost £70 +VAT to repair (nearly three years ago) You can go to him, or as long as you don't live miles away, he will travel to you.

Reactions: Pulp84, Rob2k68 and Daveotto
Together with 3000 grade wet & dry this is my weapon of choice against stone chips to either restore the gloss finish after sanding or to polish out minor ones that don't penetrate the lacquer :-

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Gazjs and 1 other person
Wow, thats some piece of kit!

Looked online, Id love one but theyre very pricey!

Reactions: Rob2k68
The thick end of £500!

I like a pricey toy, but seriously doubt I would have the time to justify its use.

They were on offer end of February luckily so I pre-ordered then. It's very good for compound curve surfaces and hard to reach areas where you wouldn't get in with a 100mm pad. Can even use it on the wheel spokes and inner rim !!

Reactions: Potterswheel, pburv, Jassyo06 and 1 other person