Pot hole disaster

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
Hit a pot hole on the motorway, the tyre is dead and the wheel is damaged, no vibrations so I’m hoping everything is still straight.

Upload 2018 10 2 19 38 37

Ive just measured the tread depth and its around 5.5mm, will this work with a new tyre or will i need 2 new tyres? Im not sure how close the tread depth needs to be.

If you mean your remaining tyre is 5.5 mm then as long as the new tyre is the same make and spec. Should make no difference at all. Should always have the same make of tyre on the same axle. You'll just have to change the 5.5mm tyre sooner, or if you have three matching tyres left you could shuffle them to suit.

Nasty pothole! Where about a was it?
Most have been huge to make that level of damage.
Anyway back to your tyre. What leevr said.
I personally would get 2 and flog the good one on the other side. If it has 5-6mm someone will buy it on fleebay.

Ill be getting a new P Zero but was just wondered if i need to match the tread depth, i.e buy 2 new, or will it be ok running a new tyre with a 5.5mm tyre on the same axle.

Always worth sticking a claim in too, to whoever is responsible for that stretch of road.
If it’s been reported before and they’ve neglected to repair it, you stand a better chance.

Ill be getting a new P Zero but was just wondered if i need to match the tread depth, i.e buy 2 new, or will it be ok running a new tyre with a 5.5mm tyre on the same axle.
Don’t think the s3 has a limited slip diff or Torsen diff up front so tyre differences should be ok. I generally try to keep it within a couple of mm but that’s just me. the Haldex shouldn’t be fussy either unlike the torsen type quattros between the front and back.

Reactions: Starry
This was on the M32 coming out of Bristol, it was in the outside lane. I used the same stretch of road today and they had the outside lane closed of with several workman filling it in, it looks like they have pulled the lose stuff up and the hole was about 2ft x 1ft. Its a joke as there is more like this all over the M32. Ive put in a complaint and will see what happens, new tyre plus wheel repair will be around £200 id think.:sob:

Nasty and very dangerous. Lucky it is just a damaged wheel and a new tyre although it probably doesn’t seem lucky!

Reactions: AlS3BE and Starry
Nasty and very dangerous. Lucky it is just a damaged wheel and a new tyre although it probably doesn’t seem lucky!

It was pretty Lucky tbh as i was in traffic and only doing about 40mph. Dread to think the damage if i was pushing on a bit.

Pay so much tax in this country and our roads are still rubbish compared to our European neighbours ! Really grinds my gears

Reactions: Starry
Pay so much tax in this country and our roads are still rubbish compared to our European neighbours ! Really grinds my gears

It’s not road tax. It’s vehicle excise duty. Ie just a carbon tax. Doubt all of it makes it to the roads.

It’s not road tax. It’s vehicle excise duty. Ie just a carbon tax. Doubt all of it makes it to the roads.
Regardless the Roads shouldn’t be in the state that they are currently in. Every day you have to avoid potholes, when I’ve been to France and Spain their roads were so smooth and nicely tarmacked with no potholes . Same with their motorways ours are rubbish in comparison.

Reactions: AlS3BE and Starry