Potential B8.5 S4 Avant buyer

davoaj

Reaction score
I'm currently mulling over a B8.5 S4 Avant, as a family car to replace a 2015 Passat estate - so a big hike in performance, but stepping back a bit in terms of interior space and tech.

The car I'm looking at has the super sport seats, just wondering how much they reduce the space in the rear compared to normal seats? The kids are 6 and 4, so still in booster seats but in the Passat they have plenty of room to stretch their legs. How cramped is ti going to be back there?

On the tech front, I can live with losing adaptive cruise, although I do like it when on a long drive. More of a concern is the MMI, and how easy it is to connect to an iphone to stream music, whether wired or wirelessly.

One final thing is around the security side, having had a bit of a wobble after reading the thread in the sticky. Appreciating it will vary depending on location, but is crime still a big issue for the B8 S4?

Very excited about the car, finally getting back in to something with some interest and power.

I have a B8.5 and also two (younger) children. There's enough space for them no doubt, depending on how big you are, I'm 6ft and if my oldest who is two is behind me he does tend to kick the back of the seat, but that is partially because his legs arnt long enough to hang down from his car seat.

As for the MMI is very easy to stream wirelessly from a phone, I've never had an issue and the quality is great with the B&O. Also you can get.aome good carplay kits now which bring a touch more modernity to the ICE.

Thanks for the reply, buying remotely has made it a bit more difficult to gauge the rear leg room, so that's helpful. Also all the images dealers take seem to be with the front seats right back, making the rear look even tighter.

Main problem now is convincing the Mrs that getting something 2 years older than what we already have is a good move.

The super sports seats make no difference to the rear leg room in comparison to the standard seats - the differences are up front.
What is the build date and mileage? The B8 has a history of s-tronic gearbox issues for the early models and the latest revision came in mid-2013. Even if it has the latest version servicing is paramount - 38K at the latest. We have heard reports about supposedly FSH cars having missed the gearbox service.

I'm 1.72m and this is the set up in my B8.5 S4 avant (kids are 8 and 6, forgive the mess)
Bluetooth music streaming just worked, but I've upgraded to a carplay unit to get Waze on the screen (v easy install)
As for security, I also read the threads with fear when I first got mine, but installed this CAN Bus Immobiliser and now sleep safe (aka ghostwatch)

I know we're prolly a biased lot but my S4 is the best family car I've ever owned. I've got a roof box for camping and a detachable towbar for getting the bikes on (or the trailer) It does everything!

Hope that helps

IMG 20210724 140205
IMG 20210724 140214

The super sports seats make no difference to the rear leg room in comparison to the standard seats - the differences are up front.
What is the build date and mileage? The B8 has a history of s-tronic gearbox issues for the early models and the latest revision came in mid-2013. Even if it has the latest version servicing is paramount - 38K at the latest. We have heard reports about supposedly FSH cars having missed the gearbox service.
Good to know re the super sports seats.

Not sure of the build date, will find out once delivered. It was first registered in August 2013 though. The s-tronic was serviced by Audi before the 38k mark, and have asked the selling garage to do the supercharger belt before sale as that will be due at 60k (currently on 55k).

I'm 1.72m and this is the set up in my B8.5 S4 avant (kids are 8 and 6, forgive the mess)
Bluetooth music streaming just worked, but I've upgraded to a carplay unit to get Waze on the screen (v easy install)
As for security, I also read the threads with fear when I first got mine, but installed this CAN Bus Immobiliser and now sleep safe (aka ghostwatch)

I know we're prolly a biased lot but my S4 is the best family car I've ever owned. I've got a roof box for camping and a detachable towbar for getting the bikes on (or the trailer) It does everything!

Hope that helps

View attachment 240194View attachment 240193
Really helpful, thanks. Probably a little less room than they're used to in the current car, but plenty for a good few years yet.

I've read a few people doing the carplay units, might look at that in time - but will see how we get on with the 3G plus to start with.

Looking forward to it now, hopefully arrive by the end of the week. Already looking at roof bars and a box for a trip in August.

Aye, I'm one of them! Was raging lol. 20k miles overdue, but the fluid I drained out last week looked, felt and smelt ok so I'm hoping I've got away with it as shifting is still seamlessly smooth. Time will tell I guess.

Good to know re the super sports seats.

Not sure of the build date, will find out once delivered. It was first registered in August 2013 though. The s-tronic was serviced by Audi before the 38k mark, and have asked the selling garage to do the supercharger belt before sale as that will be due at 60k (currently on 55k).

I think the auxiliary belt is also due, but I'm sure the front end has to be put into service mode for that unlike if just doing the supercharger belt.

When you get the car check inside the engine bay for the engine code. Mine is CREC which threw me a little as most the info out there seems to be for the CAKA engine etc. I don't think CREC was introduced until early 2014 though, but worth a look as there's quite a few differences including Manifold Port Injection, electromagnetic clutch for the supercharger and the pulley is a bolt on kind now as well and a few other changes as well. I'm learning new stuff every day though!