Potential discount on approved used Audi's?

sat1983

Reaction score
My dad has seen two nice 150 TDI priced at £22,000 and £23,000 at main dealers.

What sort of money have dealers got to play with? Can't imagine it being much but would it be up to £1,000?

Reactions: pburv
If you don't get at least a grand off then you are not trying hard enough...Especially if it's a main dealer.Private dealerships generally work to tighter profit margins to compete with main dealers..

Simple answer is that it depends, there is a huge variation in price and margin. Some dealers use autotraders own software tools to constantly adjust their prices to be competitive, some dealers slash their prices and do keen deals once they've been in stock a while. Some dealers will have massively overpaid on part exchange prices in Jan to try and ensure they hit their new car target and now have little room to move. Some dealers used car managers are only paid per unit sold, and some are paid a percentage of the profit.

Far too many variables to just say "get a grand off anything", unless you want a very specific spec you're better targeting the best priced cars first than chasing discount on the more expensive ones.

Reactions: Jamie_88, deanshaw24 and sat1983
So how would you go about it though? We as customers have no idea on which cars or dealers have potential for money off. I don't want to insult them but at the same time he who dares wins!!

You will never know their margin, as above it can vary massively. When I worked at Audi some high end cars had £10k margin. Other cars only £1500. Find a car and a price you would be happy to pay for it. Then make an offer. Simple

If every customer knew the margin they would never make any money

Reactions: Jamie_88
So how would you go about it though? We as customers have no idea on which cars or dealers have potential for money off. I don't want to insult them but at the same time he who dares wins!!

"I'll buy the car if you can get to... "

Is much more effective than asking for discounts usually, but it relies on you knowing what a good price is, and it relies on them having the margin and inclination to discount - neither of which you'll know.

As above I'd use autotrader to get a feel for the prices, you'll save more from researching properly than by using your negotiating skills in most cases.