Pothole damage to my wheel and council claim?

Adam_A3_

Reaction score
Hi guys

i require some advice on how to go about this

i was driving in the dark on a 30mph road and went straight in to it. It resulted in some damage to my 19" rotar wheel. See pics.

Does anyone know if the council would payout for this as the depth of the pothole was fairly deep. And how i should go about possibly making a claim

thanks

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii491/Wirry-/imagejpg1_zpsb62be77e.jpg

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii491/Wirry-/imagejpg3_zps7a0ffa08.jpg

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii491/Wirry-/imagejpg4_zps22de26b2.jpg

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii491/Wirry-/imagejpg2_zpsa4659aee.jpg

If the incident happened in Leeds (noticed you're in West Yorks), then I hope you have better luck if you go up against Leeds City Council. Some people are successful, but I wasn't. I got up to Step 8 on that website LEE69 suggested, but gave up after a year writing letters, being fobbed off with one reason, then another.
I asked, and got sent, schedules of quarterly and annual inspections, and logs of reported potholes and repairs.
My problem was even though they didn't contest the pothole existed (they repaired it shortly after), I could not prove it existed at the time of the last inspection and the inspectors missed it. They said it must have appeared after the last inspection, so they weren't liable. All they had to prove to deny liability was to be able to show these inspections took place on time, and that they repaired any reported potholes within a reasonable time. In my case they said they could not be held liable because they can't repair what they weren't aware of....which is fair enough. But this was just my case. I'm sure other people will post successful, it was easy, simple, no contest stories. Good luck with your claim

take photos of hole with tape measure and news paper if possible to date mark it and get quotes to replace wheel and tyre if needed . and put a claim to highways ageny I did this took six months and paid out for 2 genuine wheels and 2 tyres

Reactions: sliced
I tried when I broke a spring due to a pot hole. I got the same answer as ordi. "We can't repair what we don't know about" I now report every pot hole I see via their web site.

Reactions: Artimus
I always report local bad roads and any other on street issues on an app\website called "fixmystreet", we pay a lot in taxes and should expect decent roads. Besides, it may be me that needs to claim one day.

I tried when I broke a spring due to a pot hole. I got the same answer as ordi. "We can't repair what we don't know about" I now report every pot hole I see via their web site.

This is all well and good, but shouldnt take expensive tyres and wheels for them to first hear about it the wasters. I hate councils they are utterly useless. they should have persons trawling major routes/roads LOOKING for potholes as part of their care and safety of road users ***. after all we pay for the damn tarmac.

Reactions: Sandra
Report the pot hole, wait a week, if it hasn't been repaired then put in a claim.
As said before they wont pay out for damage if they wasn't aware of the pot hole.

Get someone else to report the pothole, your mate or something, then put yours in a week or so after BEFORE it's filled in.

Most of the times, if you just put a claim in and it hasn't been reported, they'll come back and say we couldn't have filled it in as we didn't know about it. The shoe is on the other foot though if it's been reported and they've done nothing to it.

i followed the steps, and after 10 working days i put in my claim. i WON after around 6 months of an email every 2 weeks, and then a threat the report the staff member of the finance/claims dept got me my money in the next 3 days!

I guess i will will aurely put in a claim and see how it goes. I will have to be prepare to have it repaired, any reputable places to fix this and what sort of cos would i be looking at?