POTHOLES !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ermm thats a link to the money section on AOL,thats a blast from the past AOL didn't think they existed anymore.

Potholes are doing my head in at the minute - the M62 motorway is full of them at the minute - had to have 2 rims welded in the past few months.

I have resorted to driving in the middle lane now - I look like a middle lane hog, but ill be damned if I get another cracked alloy.

Potholes are doing my head in at the minute - the M62 motorway is full of them at the minute - had to have 2 rims welded in the past few months.

I have resorted to driving in the middle lane now - I look like a middle lane hog, but ill be damned if I get another cracked alloy.
On the M6 Heading to Brum the turn off for the Ricoh has a few massive ones which I hit (luckily I was in the missus Seat at the time :) ) but no it's not good.
Report them on your local council site.

Ive reported a few in the town I live in and they tend to get filled in after a month or so. The only downside is the filling does not last that long and after a few months and traffic flow the pothole is back again.

I find I drive checking the road ahead in some vain attempt to avoid hitting one. I only wish my wife would do the same she seems to aim for them lol

has anyone tried to seek a claim from the standards, if they are aware that a pothole is present and you sustain damage to your property when they havnt filled it surely they are liable for damage?

Ive reported a few in the town I live in and they tend to get filled in after a month or so. The only downside is the filling does not last that long and after a few months and traffic flow the pothole is back again.

The problem is that they are only "patched up" so after a few weeks with rain / snow etc they re-appear. WHY the councils don't repair them properly just the once is beyond me. Cost shouldn't come into it - we all pay our taxes and road fund licences - don't we?

They have started to cut a section out around certain potholes now rather than just filling them in and it appears to last longer.

Im sure I read somewhere that with all the money they have spent on filling in and repairing our roads it would have just been cheaper to relay entire roads.

Also with regards to claiming for damage, im sure the road needed to be reported to them before they will allow a claim.

POTHOLES SUCK !!!

The roads around me are terrible, you end up spending more time avoiding them than watching the road.
Not good for your car and not good for your concentration, Council doesn't seem to care.

If you want to make a claim against the council here are the tips...................

1. Write a detailed letter and include photos, map and any receipts
2. Submit a "Freedom or Information" request to show you mean bussiness - for this you must head any letter or e-mail with the strapline "Freedom of Information Act-Request for information." There is Code of Practice for Highway Maintenance Management drawn up by the DOT that you can read.
3. Do not be fobbed off with excuses.
4. Contact the highwqays department of your local authority
5. For more information: www.highwaysindustry.com and www.potholes.co.uk

There's lots of pothloes up here with white spray round about them marking the hole, so it's obvious they know about them, but takes ages before they get sorted. :mad:

There's lots of pothloes up here with white spray round about them marking the hole, so it's obvious they know about them, but takes ages before they get sorted. :mad:

March is when most surfacing and pothole work is undertaken because the council tend to find they still have cash leftover from their annual budget. If they don't spend it, they lose it the following year. Then in April they receive their new budget for which they then spend another 9 months agreeing how they are going to spend it all!

March is when most surfacing and pothole work is undertaken because the council tend to find they still have cash leftover from their annual budget. If they don't spend it, they lose it the following year. Then in April they receive their new budget for which they then spend another 9 months agreeing how they are going to spend it all!

So true - I'm in the south east too and my council has been "busy" painting lots of circles round pot holes, but doing little else !!!!

Saddly this will only get worse. Both my missus and I work in local authority and the sad truth is the budgets handed out by government is shrinking under their "cutting public spending" banner. Cost of doing jobs is spiraling as energy costs and more red tape is added. The network is falling apart quicker than we have the budget to sort it.

Saddly this will only get worse. Both my missus and I work in local authority and the sad truth is the budgets handed out by government is shrinking under their "cutting public spending" banner. Cost of doing jobs is spiraling as energy costs and more red tape is added. The network is falling apart quicker than we have the budget to sort it.

Sadly very true, but everyone is paying more taxes so the roads SHOULD be maintained !!