Powder coated exhaust tailpipes?

~RS~

Reaction score
Anybody had this done to their exhaust? Probably driving diesel like me if you have lol...
My chrome tips get black in no time, doesn't help I have a custom exhaust ala miltek... so I am considering powder coating them like the new BMW diesels tailpipes in that greyish black colour they do.

What do you guys think?

Interesting haven't thought of this idea!
You not going for the glossy look of the rs3 black tailpipes then :p

I never seen an RS3 with black tail pipes, any pics? Just had a look but couldn't find any...

i like he idea of black tip exhausts :drool:

your car looks good RS, defo like the black roof rails!

Heres a pic of standard and below gloss black option for RS3

photo-4.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Picture quality isnt great but you get the idea.

satin black or dark grey?

Would look awesome the same colour as the S3 valance

"RS" ......As you have my tips.....I would like this done ...when you get yours .....I'll take the gloss black option please.... :yum:

It would go lovely with my blacked out bits......:jump:

yeah man will look awesome got to carry on the combo eh lol but how will i do it tho thats the thing hmm

Yeh a tricky one I dont know how you'd do it. Dont think it would suit my car but would look good on yours!

I was about to say the heat may cause issues with any painting.

Fran, Will that stuff stay on chrome?

Digzz no more swagger jackin :p

If you lightly rub them down first with some fine sand paper the high temp stuff will be fine, Also im a big fan of powder coating and ive had lots of things done that get realy hot and never had a problem, they cure the powder between 200-300c so i presume it can take some temp

Had the exhaust tips on my R32 powder coated as the chrome was burning off due to the tips getting so hot and expanding so can be done.

How much was it Mikey and what needed to come off?

On the Mk4 R32 the exhaust tips are clamped on to the back box so easy to remove. Just looked at the receipt i got charged £80 + VAT to get the exhaust tips ( 4" round and 6" long times two ) and rocker cover powder coat black.

The exhaust tip expand a good 2" when hot and used to turn purple in colour but still no signs of cracking on the powder coating after 9 months of abuse sorry i mean daily use.:thumbsup:

Lads, grandad used to own a factory that did powder coating. Apparently the powder wont bond with the chrome, but would flake if it did when the exhaust got hot anyways. Best bet would be that high temp paint if possible but how it would look i dont know. I do like the idea though. The tips on mine are nearly black from the deisel... Time to get the autosol out... works a treat!

No doubt they dip the tips in an acid to remove the chrome before coating. Painting will crack.

Thats one way around it. Just shop around and see who rekons they can do it.

I think it would look smart! Let me know how you get on with it.