Power magic pro running battery down

Ok so this morning I reduced the voltage to 11.8v and set it to 6 hours. The green LED was on so I left it and 7 hours later the cameras were still on.

I decided to use my multimeter to troubleshoot. First I disconnected the power magic pro from the white connector that goes in the back and I measured the voltage on the earth pin and yellow perm 12v pin which showed 12v, then the switched 12v (with ignition off) and it was 0v. I switched the ignition on and measured the switched pin and got 12v so the power input into to PMP is correct.

I then turned the ignition off and connected the PMP again. With the PMP off I measured the voltage inside the female cigarette socket that comes with the PMP and it was 12v, I turned the PMP on and it was still 12v (the green LED never turned on). I switched the ignition on and these measurements dropped to 11.8v.

So it is now clear that the power magic pro is faulty as even when it is off it is providing a 12v feed to the cameras. I havfe contacted the supplier to arrange a refund, all this time wasted and it was a faulty device that caused it!

Reactions: Jet2004uk
I don't want to count my chickens until the replacement is received and tested but the test results are pretty conclusive :)

Just got back from Glastonbury where I have been since last Tuesday and the car started fine so it was the camera causing the drain. My replacement PMP arrived whilst I was away, installed it today and I am having the same problems!! One thing I did notice was my multimeter (cheap one) sometimes measures 0.01-0.02v on the switched fuse when ignition is off. I have measured the voltages on all other fuses and any empty fuse bays where there is a metal pin and can't find an alternative switched live. Does anyone have any ideas?

I will try testing the PMP by putting the switched wire on a perm 12v and then taking it off again.

So I tested again with the red ACC+ wire disconnected so it would have a 0v feed and I still had a 12v feed from the female cigar lighter socket, this was the same with the PMP switched on or off. At no time did the PMP LED illuminate. Bit lost now...

Glasto was amazing, I have been to loads of different festival over the past 11 years and this blew them all out of the water!

I have potentially fixed it, not sure what I did other than change the voltage to 11.8v which allowed the PMP LED to turn on when the box was on. I still measured 12v on the female socket but decided to give it a try anyway so with the PMP off I connected the dashcam and it remained off, I then started ignition and it turned the cam on, turned ignition and cam turned off. I have now set it to 6 hours and turned the PMP on which turned the cam on so will test it is off in the morning.