Power tailgate error code logging?

nky_84

6th Gear
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone know if the power tailgate not closing properly (engaging the second catch) is logged anywhere or if the hinges etc are over extended? I bought the car from a main dealer and i was told at time of sale it was an electrical fault and just needed to be "reset" to fix the problem. The issue continued after i left the dealers, so i got it inspected at my local dealer and it turns out there is mechanical damage behind the scenes and its nothing to do with an electrical fault. Looks as if the car has been reversing with the tailgate up, and has hit a low hanging ceiling in a garage etc and its over extended the tailgate and bent the hinges / fixtures to the body slightly.

Dealer i bought the car from are refusing to link the electrical fault and the damage together and are standing firm that the car was damaged after it left them :-(.

Any help / suggestions on how i can prove this damage was done prior to my ownership would be greatly appreciated!

Why didn't the first dealer fix the problem if it was simply an electrical reset that was required. The car had a pre existing condition that they acknowledged when you bought the car. The problem seems to be that they have diagnosed it incorrectly and it's probably more likely the damage has been done by a valeter or them and they don't want to admit it.
How long after you bought the car before you took it to the second dealer ? .
Not sure where you go from here other than name and shame them and get onto Audi customer services. Seems like a pretty poor show to me.

I reported the problem 24 hours after i picked up the car and booked it into my local dealer to be inspected on the instruction of the original dealer. The inspection appointment was 17 days after i purchased the car (soonest the dealer could book me in).

Ive not done naming and shaming yet, but ive been round the houses with Audi UK, VW finance and now the financial ombudsman. All have been unable to categorically prove the car wasnt damaged when it left the dealers, despite my paper trail of issues relating to that specific area..

Unfortunately, when the local dealer inspected the car, they adjusted the tailgate so that i now closes, but the panel gaps are off. Which when you compare before and after pictures, it looks like the damage was done after point of sale.

My only hope now is to somehow get technical proof that an error code was dropped prior to the sale or some sort of technical report that states that there are no clever electronics in the secondary catch that can even be reset or cause the boot not to properly close.

Anyone care to comment on whether the attached shows any tailgate misalignment?

Attachments

• zoom.PNG
    zoom.PNG
    789.8 KB · Views: 131