Powered tailgate

Pee Jam

A6 Avant LeMans 3.0L Seat Alhambra xcellence
Reaction score
Powered tailgates!

Looking for owners of Avants with a powered tailgate, how easy is yours to close manually?

mine is really quite hard, it feels like im doing damage to it!

I have seen a post of a guy in the US with a Tuareg and unpowered his tailgate closes real smooth by hand, I think they use similar motors?

I have taken my motors out and the tailgate is a pleasure to use now. With the motors in it was very hit and miss if it was going to open electrically.

Thanks
Peter

Did you adjust the locking plate on the boot bumper area, sometimes if its too tight it doesn't like it as it can't unlatch so easily.

Did you adjust the locking plate on the boot bumper area, sometimes if its too tight it doesn't like it as it can't unlatch so easily.
Yes, that has been checked as best I can. The boot will release and try to open about an inch, then fall back down, if I click the remote again it will open fully 50% of the time. But then its a 50/50 chance of it closing with then button.

Yes, that has been checked as best I can. The boot will release and try to open about an inch, then fall back down, if I click the remote again it will open fully 50% of the time. But then its a 50/50 chance of it closing with then button.
Hi there, I've sorted a few of these out fir people in person.

Firstly the boot programming needs to be reset. Using the release button allow the boot to open all the way then hold the close button for 5 seconds at the height you want it, this will reprogram the boot height

Also your boot struts on there way out. There isn't enough pressure in them initially to lift the boot. Replace before they damage motor

Sent from my ELS-N39 using Tapatalk

Hi MistaT

Thanks for your reply, I have worked through those tips already, new powered tailgate struts fitted, apparently they are a different rating to non powered tailgate ones.

VCDS is reporting no comms to master drive unit. I have removed both motors for now and the tailgate is a lot easier to use!

Ok, I have been looking at this problem again today as I have brought 2 second hand tailgate motors to try out.

Still no operation from either the door switch, key fob or if the tailgate is manually opened, from the tailgate button.

But via VCDS and output tests I can power the tailgate open and close but only if the tailgate is not latched, if it is latched then it will not open and I get a Module refused the request 7F 22 11 error. If I then use the drivers door button it will unlatch the tailgate, but not open it, I can then use VCDS to open the tailgate and close it. The tailgate button will not close it.

I have checked the action of both buttons via VCDS and they both register on VCDS testing outputs, so they are working.

I have also used VCDS to test the tailgate latch and it appears to work correctly in that it moves up and down and no errors are present.

There are no errors at all apart from some on the engine, glow plugs and engine mount.

Has anyone any insight into powered tailgates at all?

Thanks

Forgot to add that the current status of the motors/clutches is HOLD, maybe that's why its so hard to close manually!

I have performed a factory reset on them too with no change in their operation.

UPDATE: Fixed

I brought a second hand master motor/controller, fitted it and hey presto it works like new.

I did have a company take a look at the original units and 2 others that I had brought. The original master kept losing its coding as it was operating, they suspected a cracked circuit board inside that was being flexed by the operation of the tailgate. And the other master unit of the second pair I brought would not accept any programming.