Poxy wiper has scratched the windscreen

Schlaag

Bwah
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully compounded out wiper scratches on their windscreen?

Must have been some grit caught... i'm so p*ssed off. Directly in front of the driver view... driving me crazy.

OR I guess this is the perfect time to get a new windscreen with the tint for an automatic mirror through insurance....

OR I guess this is the perfect time to get a new windscreen with the tint for an automatic mirror through insurance....

apocalypse-now-30.png

You smell that? I love the smell of insurance fraud...

Reactions: doctor46goat and Darren92
How unfortunate it would be if that screen were to crack or break :p

Reactions: Darren92
I did think that. But it opens a whole new can of stress, notably getting an OEM screen (yes ive read the threads)... or a decent fitter/install job... Insurance no claims (apparently my historical NCB is protected but I do not gain a new year if I claim a windscreen. C**ts!)

All a ballache

R
I did think that. But it opens a whole new can of stress, notably getting an OEM screen (yes ive read the threads)... or a decent fitter/install job... Insurance no claims (apparently my historical NCB is protected but I do not gain a new year if I claim a windscreen. C**ts!)

All a ballache

Really? Usually window replacement claims don't effect your Ncd

Yes you have to declare but it doesn't effect the premium or Ncd acaccumulated

Yep. Accrued no claims are protected but the one in process to be gained end of the year policy is cancelled if a claim is made

thieves

"
We may choose to repair your car with parts that may not have been made by its manufacturer but are of a similar standard. Any payment for replacement of glass under this section will not reduce your No claims discount, (although at your next renewal you will no longer be eligible for any increase in your No claims discount according to our declared scale). However, in order to obtain the full benefit under this section the work must only be undertaken by our approved repairer contactable via Swift Glass Claims on 0871 231 2310*.
The most we will pay:
If you do not use our approved repairer, the most we will pay for any windscreen replacement claim under this section is £100, or £50 for any windscreen repair."

The thing is, i'm sure I can feel the scratch with my fingernail, but for £12.. I may as well order it and give it a go!

Generally speaking, if you can feel it with you nail - and it's a forward-facing (laminated) window - you could be wasting your money; yes it's 'only' 12-quid, but you'd pick it up if it was on the floor.

Side glass and heated rear windows are usually toughened glass and will generally take a lot more than a laminated one will (the heat build up is immense). The reality is, the deeper the scratch, the more heat you will generate trying to polish down, ergo, the chances of cracking the glass are higher. Whilst this is a worst-case scenario, it is also very common for polished glass to become distorted.

I suppose it all hinges on where the scratch is.

Had this happen on my a3 and my s3. I slipped and cracked my windscreen both times

The scratch i repaired was large and right in the drivers view, the scratch could not be felt but was very obvious and annoying. I used plenty of the polishing compound and a powerful drill being careful not to stop in the same spot for longer than a second or 2. I must admit the glass did get very hot so be careful! Took me well over an hour to get a good finish but the scratch was completely gone. :)