Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Congrats mate, great to see the beast back on the road. Can't wait to see how the mapping goes and it performs on the track. Well done for plugging away with it and getting it to this stage :rock::respekt:

And so the next evilution begins! Might actually get a run out in it this time :p It's looking awesome mate, definite change to what started all this nonsense!

Reactions: Prawn
Well, there is good news and bad news.

The BAD news is that it's TEN weeks away. ???

The GOOD news is that is approx how long it will take for two sets of TD 1.3 s to arrive. One set in White for the track and one set in Silver for the road. Both with 15 offset.:yes::yahoo:

Reactions: Prawn, Golfyste, Rainbird and 1 other person
Temporary bodywork can be done with 20 minutes of grinder action, followed by some tupperware and duck tape.
If Nick/Al work together I'm sure they could sneak it past MrPrawn/TheMartiarch...

Reactions: Golfyste, bigal 1 and antwan64og
so the body work project along with a 550hp dyno session is in a 10 week window?

haha, I'll be honest I can't see that happening Ant!

I am toying with the idea of a temp job of sorts to get it running and some bolt on arches, seeing as the wings / quarters will all be replaced soon enough anyway.

Maybe even just remove the front wings and run the 10's up front with no wings to see how it feels :laugh:

We shall see.

Hoping to get out for a drive this evening. Things have been rather busy since Saturday!

Haha, I like your thinking.

Raise the coilovers till the TD wheel goes lock to lock.

Get a £30 ebay arch roller and some £50 ebay arches, drill and a rivet gun. Job done

I have access to an arch roller so that's not an issue. The issue is that the rear arches are either rust or filler depending which side you look at :laugh:

Reactions: antwan64og
God knows Alex :laugh: the ****** pipeline is so long I have no idea what's in it, where it started, or where it might end at the moment!

haha.

Engine - run in and mapped is first priority for the car now.

Shortly followed by making the big wheels fit one way or another. I'm currently quite liking the cheap and easy option of something temporary and bolt on for this year, and look at properly doing the bodywork at the end of the year maybe.

Reactions: Alex C
I think the bolt on arch is the solution to get on the road legally. Major bodywork at the end of the year. There is just no time to get the bodywork done properly with track days coming up and we don't want to miss any with unfinished projects.

For how little they cost, i guess there is no harm in finding out.

If they look awful and fail, no harm done as the wings and quarters would be cut off anyway so nothing would be left from the experiment.

If they work surprisingly well and look OK, then they could well stay.

It's just a case of finding some arches of a suitable size.

I'll put the wheel on each end this evening and put a straight edge and tape measure up against it to see how large they'll need to be.

Reactions: Golfyste
Arches....
20170813-96dpi-IMG_7487.jpg

<tuffty/>

And again. Now those ARE arches.
2016_ParisAutoshow_Audi_RS3_LMS_rear_IVM.jpg

Reactions: scotty_24 and Dubster5
90mm or 70mm are standard arch sizes from memory and you can pull the body work out a bit. Since body panels can be consumable.... using cheaper A3 panels may have the advantage there. Triggers brush and all that.

Soon Prawn’s going to be the number one google search for wide arch A3 8L’s

I have access to an arch roller so that's not an issue. The issue is that the rear arches are either rust or filler depending which side you look at :laugh:

Baseball bat works a treat

sort your camber out first - sporty...
Camber

I have the cheap ebay ones (£60) on to get through the MOT for the rusty wheel arch - they are not permanent though - but haven't fallen off whilst sitting on axle stands.

Reactions: SHUk
So, it's Friday. The car is running. This can only mean one thing....

TRACK CAR FRIDAY!!!!

huWYe4x.jpg

uf5sc6s.jpg

This ritual has been greatly missed!

Reactions: scotty_24
Currently not at all really!

First few pulls is was mid 13's as boost came in. I added 10% to everything above 4k this morning and it was high 12's. Added another 10% and it went to low 12's which seemed like a good place to start.

Problem is I'm getting some interference on the crank signal in my logs, making it hard to identify the RPM site I'm working on, so I need to figure that out first.

Feels ****** good though!

How did you extend the stock wiring harness to get the ecu into the cabin? Did you use shielded wiring?

I’m pretty sure you didn’t leave the Emerald in the rain tray

The emerald does actually live under the scuttle still! It's on a raised up mount and covered by a rain shield so no water can ever drop onto it, and no water can flood around it.

Turns out my logging issue was a false alarm :laugh:

Tired, late nights, not used the software in a year. I'd somehow turned off the rpm display and turned on the throttle %age trace which is a similar green :laugh:

First proper log taken last night. Pretty happy so far.

This is as it stands currently. No boost solenoid fitted, just a pipe from turbo to gate. No vvt. 630cc injectors for the minute.

0LI4Vt1.jpg

Spools to 0.7 bar at 4k
Takes ~26 degrees ignition advance without the slightest hint of knock
Afr low 12s
Egts sub 700

It feels very, very good so far considering there is so little boost.

You setup the crowd funding page for me and I'll see it through :laugh:

Do you have VVT prawn?
Hoping to utilise that and the N/A cams for spool??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have added a vvt solenoid yes SK. I just need to get hold of a plug from TPS to wire it into the Emerald, then work out how to activate it using one of the user configurable outputs!

Given how everyone says how important it is to use VVT to aid spool, and how 76's are supposedly laggy, I'm absolutely amazed by how spritely this feels low down.

Sure, it's not a ko3s 2000rpm whack of torque by any means, but a healthy 9.5:1 and a shed load of timing certainly don't see me feeling I'm missing out low down at all. It just gets better the more revs I give it.

Considering how good it feels for just 9psi, I just cannot wait to see what it's like at 20+!

Reactions: desertstorm, Erikn89nl, s3 Hoggy and 3 others
Ready for 450 BHP and 440 lb/ft Torque through the front wheels yet? Wont the tyres just stay on the road whilst the wheels are turning!

skip to last 10 seconds

Reactions: IPG, SHUk, hydro s3 and 1 other person
Had a passenger ride on Saturday , pouring with rain so no heroics. Goes very very well on just spring actuator, about 9 psi, no boost. First thing I noticed was how smooth and more quiet the ride was. No crashing as before, quite quiet if that sounds possible. Bearing in mind that the springs are now 550lbs all round as opposed to something like 350 lbs before.
First oil change at 30 miles, next at something like 100 and then 300 and then the proper biz and tuning.

As for the brakes, WELL, what can one say with a setup like that, and they haven't been used in anger yet.

Roll on the first trackday.:thumbs up: :racer:

Reactions: Rainbird, RobinJI and Prawn
Happy Tuesday Erik!

I have some pics to upload later on for a little update.

Things have been quiet, for reasons which I will explain in due course.

Dropped the boost pipes off at the Powdercoaters at 1030 this morning, and just had a call to say they're done already!

:racer:

Then some more miles, and soon, more boost!

Woooooohooooooo!

:racer:

Reactions: scotty_24 and Rainbird
Excellent stuff good sir! How're you finding the Gaz Gold's road manners?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk