Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

1m13.6 required to do this.. but this turbo will be same size as mine so no excuses why it should'nt be faster than mine now. Aero, sticky tyres.. should go like a scalded wotnot

NOT with me behind the wheel.:laughing: :coldsweat:

Reactions: <tuffty/> and Prawn
Or with you in the passenger seat, tubs :laugh:

I joke I joke. We should get Oliver to drive. It'd up the bhp/ton by about 50 :racer:

Or with you in the passenger seat, tubs :laugh:

I joke I joke. We should get Oliver to drive. It'd up the bhp/ton by about 50 :racer:

Or if you lost a few kilo's it would be equivalent to £10,000 of carbon fibre panels.:blahblah1:

Reactions: Rainbird and Prawn
Or if you lost a few kilo's it would be equivalent to £10,000 of carbon fibre panels.:blahblah1:

Leave it out in the rain; rust is lighter than carbon fiber.

Sand off the rest of the clearcoat on the bonnet, clearly doesn't need it :p

Reactions: Prawn
I have waited many years to own one of these!

If anyone has a 0.63 gt30 housing they want to swap for a brand new 0.82 then let me know!

Reactions: RobinJI, craigt1985 and sparrow
BMW now manual! No more slushbox.

Time to start work on the a3 again!

Reactions: tomjol, scotty_24, Golfyste and 4 others
Nice one no more box issues thouch wood, the manuals are pretty strong. Miss my old bmw she was a soldier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a3 related, but it's all part of te story so I'll Add it here!

E39:

Now with 3 pedals:

And a wooden stick!

1324dfd733535e58dba70264e6d05c9b70346204d2cacef65abef9c702746d1c.jpg

Reactions: tomjol, Golfyste, scotty_24 and 4 others
Hooray for no more slushbox!

Was it as much of a pain as expected in the end, or did it go ok?

Plate diff finally ordered today!

I've had a big pile of cash sat waiting to spend on it and just not had the time to get to the bank to pay it in!

Paid it in yesterday and finally ordered the diff today :racer:

Darkside (3j) nxg 1. 5 way plate diff. 40/60 ramps with 70lbs preload.

I cannot wait to see what a proper diff is like!

Reactions: scotty_24, Golfyste, jojo and 2 others
I've asked that question Bill, thanks :) Rich said there were issues pressing the crownwheel bolts in.

He looked up Tonys e-mails whilst I was on the phone and said it would be resolved before mine is shipped :)

Really wish I could find the time to get the engine and heads stripped. Wedding this weekend, then I've finally got 2 weekends free so the engine WILL be stripped and the bits ready to go up to Bill :)

Hopefully with the BMW fixed I can finally make some progress :)

Reactions: Golfyste
Just writing something to keep this thread alive. I'm old, Nicholas is young, Oliver is a future BTCC driver I am sure. Progress on the car will start shortly because Nicholas is so busy. Over and out.

Reactions: Golfyste, jojo and Prawn
40 valves stripped over the weekend. 20 of those pretty much cleaned up ready to go away with the freshly cleaned head.

Old engine stripped down and pistons removed. Tuscan rods looking in great shape and no little end play so they are good to go for the new build!

It was very hot and uncomfortable work, so no pics really. Will try and get some this week ☺️

Reactions: Golfyste, StaceyS3, Lavis89 and 3 others
So, the weekend came and i finally got to spend some time in the garage!

I pulled off my baffled sump, and removed the pistons and rods from the dead engine.

It's fairly safe to see where the failure was too!

From the top these look OK, try to look past the fact I've cleaned half of it:

Perhaps some early signs of det, but nothing too Major at all. It certainly never ran lean or knocked whilst in my ownership, so I can only assume this was historic damage.

Once you look at the side though, it's a very different matter!

Pistons 2 and 3. The ones with awful compression. Clearly absolutely dead on the sides of the crown.

Once cleaned up they both looked pretty awful:

If ever I needed a reason to justify the spend on shiney new Wossner pistons, this is it!

Given the engine always ran fairly rich with me, and was never allowed to knock, I can only assume the damage was historic and has been there a while. Right from the first start it never sounded particularly high on compression, although stupidly i was so excited to have the car working again I never did a compression test. Lesson learnt there.

It also never made particularly good power on the previous car it came from, and if we're honest, nor the one before that either! Perhaps this was down to a shoddy bottom end all along.

More later, I'm off into a meeting now

:racer:

Reactions: jojo, Golfyste and superkarl
My former AGU of WIN is stripped to a bare block.

Fresh agu head from Rainbird is cleaned up and ready to go

40 valves cleaned, and the tuscan rods ready to go

Off to Badger 5 in the morning :)

:racer:

Good spot SK :laugh:

40 removed. 20 cleaned. Twice because I decided the first attempt wasn't good enough!

Reactions: superkarl
Oh dear.

It appears photobucket have changed their terms of service and banned image linking. Surely the ONLY thing anyone has ever used the site for?

No idea how I can get them back at the moment. I've been looking for a decent alternative to photobucket for a while.

Argh.

Not impressed

Sadly you will have to pay :/

I have been paying for a while tbh but seems to be the way things are going these days...

<tuffty/>

It's $400 though dude!

I've had a $3 per month paid account for years, but for some odd reason they stopped taking the money a few months ago.

Happy to pay $3 per month. But $399 a year!?

Christ!... Think I pay 25 dollars every 2 years... So far I think mine is still working

<tuffty/>

So,

After some reading, it seems like this photobucket issue is here to stay :(

Can anyone tell me why the forum is setup to not allow post editing?

Assuming I can download all my ~6000 images and find somewhere else to upload them, might it perhaps be possible for admin to make it possible for me to edit my own posts in this thread only? Just so I can spend the next month or so going through it and trying to fix what Photobucket have done!

@Sandra / @Administrators Anything you guys can think of that could allow me to go back and edit from the beginning? I really don't want every image to be broken and to lose what I've spent so many years writing!

To those of you with build threads using photobucket, I would suggest it's only a matter of time before this happens across the board. A quick google suggests lots of unhappy people worldwide having the same issue.

So,

After some reading, it seems like this photobucket issue is here to stay :(

Can anyone tell me why the forum is setup to not allow post editing?

Assuming I can download all my ~6000 images and find somewhere else to upload them, might it perhaps be possible for admin to make it possible for me to edit my own posts in this thread only? Just so I can spend the next month or so going through it and trying to fix what Photobucket have done!

@Sandra / @Administrators Anything you guys can think of that could allow me to go back and edit from the beginning? I really don't want every image to be broken and to lose what I've spent so many years writing!

To those of you with build threads using photobucket, I would suggest it's only a matter of time before this happens across the board. A quick google suggests lots of unhappy people worldwide having the same issue.
We can possibly give you some editing permissions for a short period of time Nick. :)

Reactions: Prawn
just get some free web hosting, or paid web hosting if you want some peace of mind and host the images yourself. You've always got the option of having a website for "Team Prawn Racing" then too :)

Reactions: snowy
Photobucket don't make it easy to download the images it seems... I have ftp access and can only grab the the resized images (1024 x 768 typically)... fine for using in posts tbh but I used to upload full res ones typically (not so much now) and the hires folders via FTP aren't accessible...

Have also tried downloading via the 'download album' link but not convinced they are hires either plus it doesn't grab sub albums so if like me you are mildly organised you have to go to each sub album and grab them individually...

Need to try to grab my photography album later and see if it delivers the hires versions... if not I have all the lower res ones I can dump on my web hosting and thankfully all my original pics are backed up elsewhere anyway...

I can appreciate Photobucket needing to pursue viable revenue streams but I pay $39.99 every two years currently for a smallish amount of space so I can link my images in posts... its not like they aren't getting money for it and I realise bandwidth costs money but seems a bullish way to approach this tbh...

My next payment is due in Feb 2018... I plan to migrate away from Photobucket as a little worried they might try and charge me $400 with no notice!..

<tuffty/>

backed up elsewhere

That's the key
t&c's are always changing (never for the better)/screw ups/hacks/etc
whatever you upload to the cloud should be disposable + sanatized

Reactions: Rainbird
Whilst it doesn't help with the PITA of trying to collate any images you don't have a local backup for (or the organisation of them...) if they're going to start wanting silly money, perhaps it'd be worth considering sorting out a bit of your own (or communal) storage/hosting. Would obviously be far nicer to find a PB equivalent which keeps it user friendly with a nice GUI, but it could be another cost-effective alternative if things go to sh*t any more

ASN has had the ability to upload images as attachments and include in posts for some time now... once you have all your images available and because you are having to go through post by post there there is the option to replace using attachments...

However... this will be a massive PITA if you can't actually see the images to know what ones to upload for any given post... while you can match files names it doesn't really make the process user friendly...

Far easier to host images elsewhere and just do a find and replace per post on the URL portion of the file path on a thread like this...

Either way its gonna be painful :/

<tuffty/>