Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Well, Rockingham has come and gone for ever. I had five sessions which is the most for a long time.

The car was great but the track was lethal in the morning with some bends very greasy and positively dangerous.

A lot of free grass cutting took place by several drivers.

However as midday approached the sun came out and the track started to improve and on went the slicks. Being a cold day the rears never got any heat in them, so for next year we think softs will go on the back for colder days.

I really enjoyed my seat time and got quicker with each session. However the lag when comming out of corners was very noticeable but when 4k plus was reached the car flew. The lag is being addressed.

New discs and pads resulted in enormous stopping power with only a light touch on the pedal needed.

Cooling was incredible with the new mods. Temps were very much lower by perhaps 30% plus over the last outing at Coombe. All in all a brilliant day and to cap it I was the last on track leaving the pits at 1550 by myself and as 1600 approaced the inner circuit was closed and I got to drive the full oval. WOW.

Im sure Nicholas will provide a fuller report shortly. O A O BBD

Reactions: desertstorm and Prawn
What pads and discs did you go from and what are the new ones you put on. Also what calipers are you running on the front.

We run a btcc 368x36mm disc up front with Raybestos ST45 btcc pads in an AP CP9660 6 pot caliper :)

The difference dad mentions is the difference between many times heat cycled pads that have been on all year vs a fresh set i fitted before the day.

It was pretty clear when fitting new pads that they are MUCH sharper than the used ones, so it takes a bit of adjustment getting used to the pedal effort required after a change of pads.

It certainly made for an interesting morning in the damp greasy conditions!

Reactions: craigt1985 and hydro s3
So, Rockingham happened!

I got the car finished at about 2130 on Thursday night, leaving me very little time to do any work on the map.

I was DETERMINED not to go to another trackday with the fuelling all over the place and things not as they should be, so I headed out at 2130 with the tablet and got to work on the fuelling.

9JZmYe9.jpg

Initial runs were pretty promising. Back on the 120a alternator, and with additional earth strapping. AFR seemed better, and temps seemed to be pretty stable too which seemed to help maintain a stable AFR.

After a bit of tweaking, I ended up with a mid map making 21psi at the top end, ramping up in a nice linear fashion, and map 3 on the button doing 27psi, the highest I've run yet. Both held AFR reasonably stable between 11.8-12:1, and the car felt like it was FLYING!

8oVomDM.jpg

Friday morning arrived, and as promised Ed dropped the worlds largest trailer off at my house soon after 7am:

F9Wjodb.jpg

Before loading up I measured the rear arch height of the BMW:

A5DrgFz.jpg

610mm.

I then loaded up the car, filled the BMW with tools and Stes wheels to return to him, and measured the back end again:

bp7yLMw.jpg

qoaryLi.jpg

610mm.

I LOVE self levelling suspension!

I set it up with around 70-80kg of nose weight, and thanks to the rear SLS of the BMW the trailer chassis sat perfectly level:

C3e9O1r.jpg

I tried to get a pic with Oliver, but he didn't seem that interested :laugh:

1hbZsRH.jpg

From here we towed it down to the Wheel Alignment Centre in Southampton so Nick could give it a quick once over:

CJsBCFD.jpg

The tracking was ever so slightly out which had been causing the pull to the left I'd been getting. This was reset, and the car setup with a fraction of toe out. I'm undecided at the moment if I'll keep it this way.

From here, the car was towed up to work, where it would stay overnight ready for the trip tomorrow.

One thing to note: this is a SERIOUSLY long load with the 5 series Touring and the huge Brian James trailer. I thought it looked pretty cool though! You don't see many modified tow cars:

PdD8HYN.jpg

Having dropped the car off at the unit, I went home to enjoy a family afternoon, followed by a meal out with work.

Small and I went to the woods:

OpgT22b.jpg

Then later I had a curry and a becks blue :laugh: wouldn't want to be over the limit the next day!

MLkabRk.jpg

Saturday morning arrived all too soon after not much sleep, and we set off at about 0450:

UEXNevH.jpg

A quick stop at work to hitch up and off we went!

aAn9zOy.jpg

Shell stop mid day for essential 6am coffee:

ZVn6qYX.jpg

and we arrived at Rockingham before 8am!

J2N7pRP.jpg

The BMW Towed absolutely brilliantly! As a tow car I really couldn't be happier with it. It comfortably carried all our stuff, in complete comfort. It would happily still accelerate up any hill despite the heavy load, and it returned about 26mpg over the whole trip. What a car!

Dad came up in his A4 as he and Mum were coming back to stay with us afterwards, so it was a Prawn family event!

I unloaded the car and had it sound tested. 100db cold! Wow. what a difference.

The exact same exhaust setup had been 92db 6 weeks ago when we arrived after a 2 1/2 hour drive, so it really goes to show how important it is to warm the whole system up before heading to a noise test!

With the noise test done, we got the car into the garage and got everything unloaded:

7JgCHqA.jpg

We were sharing a garage with @Golfyste and his awesome mk4 Golf.

q4NAZDj.jpg

Cars unpacked, it was time for the briefing.

Dad and I were front and centre for a change!

NjWo3gj.jpg

Then we jumped in the que for the sighting laps, which Dad was driving to get used to the car:

vXYjTIv.jpg

diUlJDp.jpg

The sighting laps were GREASY! Dad kept locking the brakes. I thought he was being a muppet.

Turns out, he wasn't!
I've experienced more traction from a greased weasel than Rockingham in the wet :laugh: you'd have more confidence trying to run across an ice rink in flip flops than that surface offers! the levels of grip were so unbelievable low you really did need to be there to experience it. madness!

When we returned from the sighting laps I noticed that our garage 18 was right under the podium.

I couldn't resist a quick pic!

RZrIJGU.jpg

Cameras in and Dad headed out for another session:

Bh2XEUG.jpg

Conditions were tricky at best, as I think is best demonstrated by this pic of Niges golf after his son Matt took it out for a few laps:

46453194_10216472665304691_3618465098831495168_n.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dad and I seen here checking out the debris whilst the Pinder girls all had a very good laugh at Matts expense!

94Y7whC.jpg

Gurds was also out lapping in the Flying Tomato, but oddly we seemed to be 'out of sync' so didn't come across him on track all morning!

z7RZkpB.jpg

After a few sessions to set tyre temps and things, we found ourselves in the pitlane with Ste, so decided to head out together and have a few laps, swapping places so we could both play chase :racer:

For a bit of a highlights reel on the above, skip to 04:50 to watch Ste almost slide into an RX8, then 08:10 to watch me nearly take off the back of a brand new F80 M3 :laugh:

Ste and the M3 slowed WAY more than I was expecting, and given the risk of rear ending an M3 or taking to the grass I thought it best to dive right. We smacked the kerb pretty hard, so I decided to come straight in to check the car over.

No damage done. All good to continue :)

Reactions: ADs3 and desertstorm
That was a little bit too close to the BMW. Big shame Rockingham is being demolished I really enjoyed driving round there. Why did you change back to the larger 120A alternator?. Just about to put a 70A alternator on the TT.

It was indeed a little on the close side Karl!

I changed back to a 120a alternator trying to find a voltage issue. If I'm honest i'm not sure if it really changed anything. it's just what I happen to currently have fitted. I may swap back to the 70a at some point, or just carry it as a spare.

Following the slippery laps with Ste, Dad decided to sit it out for a couple of sessions. It wasn't an ideal time to learn the car AT ALL. If anything the changing track state was more tricky to read than one that's either full wet or fully dry, so I got a few extra sessions in.

I went out for one session with Andy. We had a pretty good few laps, but noticed after a few that the tablet wasn't logging any ECU data.

Keen to sort that, we decided to head in, so slowed down for a cool down to head into the pits.

As we rounded the last hairpin and indicated left for the pitlane, Nige appeared alongside in the Pinderwagen. D'oh! I wasn't going to miss a chance for a few laps with Nige.

I look at the temps, usually the limiting factor that stops me staying out.

Coolant: 75c
Oil: 92c

Good to go!

We had an absolutely awesome few laps! Both out braking outselves into the last hairpin followed by histerical laughter :laugh:

then 2 laps later I did exactly the same thing again :laugh:

That's what days and circuits like this are about! Knowing when you can push that extra bit, and knowing when you need to get it right. The consequences at that corner were nil, so as a result we tried to push it that bit further each time, often without success :racer :laugh:

8u7paMH.jpg

imhUUkw.jpg

XfuTgeZ.jpg

7hYDirG.jpg

I think Dad had one more drive before lunch on the AD08s, and was going very well indeed as the track dried, really starting to get used to the car.

We decided as the morning drew to a close to throw the slicks on and try and get one session in on the slicks to get some temp into them and set pressures.

Que the white wheels!

RGIy8hi.jpg

Reactions: wrayvon, scotty_24, Alex C and 2 others
Can't beat a tow car + trailer combo shot! :grinning:

Attachments

• 20180505_125131.jpg
    20180505_125131.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: Prawn
So, white wheels on, and out we went.

My god it was slippery on cold slicks!

We did a few laps trying to build up heat, but if I'm honest we really struggled with the rears. They just didn't seem to want to switch on at all. Not a problem we'd had at Castle Combe on a warmer day 4 weeks prior.

We got 1 session in before lunch to see how things felt, then came back in and adjusted pressures, then had a nice lunch break.

Sadly, just before lunch, Ste had a fire in the golf which ended his day :( Thankfully the damage wasn't TOO severe though, and nobody was hurt. The golf will live to drive another day, it just needs a mini winter overhaul!

Back out after lunch, and I drove the first session to get some heat into the tyres.

We had a decent little session with Dad on board, but I never felt 100% comfortable with the rears.

Looking back, we should have tried removing the ARB, or at least softening the shocks, but you always get caught up in the excitement on trackdays and never think of such obvious things at the time :laugh:

I tried taping up the bonnet vent to see if it effected temps much. Sadly the tape didn't last long at all as the pressure under the bonnet blew it off! But we did see a small rise in temps whilst the tape remained in place. More on temps later.

Annoyingly, all the best pictures from the day are from the session which the tape blew off, so I have several decent pics with an unsightly bit of tape flapping around on the bonnet!

Me driving:

r6ZTVAQ.jpg

Dad driving:

mDO6PJ5.jpg

Dad again, tape flapping proudly!

yT8jGc4.jpg

8U0c4i9.jpg

I think Dad found the same as me with regards tyres. No matter how hard you tried to push it seemed impossible to get them to switch on. And if you pushed too hard, round came the back end in an almost uncontrollable manner!

Still, it was looking pretty awesome even if we had no rear grip!

sQHPUAM.jpg

This pic does confirm that it needs a diffuser now though! As did something else later in the day :racer:

After a couple of sessions, still struggling to get heat into the rears, we finally found ourselves in the pits at the same time as Nige and Gurds, so we had a quick chat and agreed to head out together for some fun.

We all lined up in the pitlane together, I had Ram on board as passenger.

We headed out, and within about 10 seconds I KNEW this was going to be a good one!

Now, I realise I post a lot of fairly long and boring videos of track sessions, but if you're going to watch just one video, please make it this one!

Rather than the usual monotonous session video, we've all grouped our footage together, and Nige has spent a LOT of time editing together a Front Wheel Drive Turbo shootout video!

Of all the videos I've ever shared, I'm most excited by this one!

Sadly we got black flagged mid way through because Ram's door hadn't been closed properly! I was absolutely gutted, but overall I don't think it detracts from the vid.

Nige has done a really fantastic job of editing this.

All any feedback is welcomed, we'll definitely be trying to make something similar again next year!

Reactions: ADs3
That was a good video of the 3 of uses. Seeing the back of your a few times there I'd agree that a rear diffuser would look.pretty cool along with that rear spolier.
Do you know what ur 0-60 times where with the gt3076r so you can compare it to the new G25-660?

So who is the fastest?

Straight to the point :lol:

I think given the right conditions, and a clear run, we're all pretty even.

Truth is, on the day Nige was quickest. He gets so much more seat time than Gurds or I so he's mega consistent from the off and far braver :laugh:

Despite the black flag that was a properly epic session! One to remember for a long time.

During the session I'd noticed a Clunk developing when I came on and off the power.
This also seemed to have caused some sort of exhaust leak which was getting louder and louder.

I got the Andy to jump in and slip the clutch with the brakes on. Watching the engine whilst he did it this confirmed that something was wrong on the engine mounts. It was moving too much.

Both main mounts seemed fine, so that just left the dog bone. Hopefully it had just come loose!

Car up on jacks, splitter buzzed off in about 2 mins flat, and it was pretty clear. The dog bone small bush had failled and was letting the engine move.

With no way of fixing it and only about 45 mins of the day remaining we decided to refit the splitter and continue anyway.

Nige and I had been planning for a little while to drive each others cars to get some idea of what works well and what doesn't, so it seemed like a good time for Nige to jump in for a few laps before any issues got worse :laugh:

7Jjn4Ov.jpg

Nige drove mine for a few laps. It was really interesting!

He confirmed my thoughts that my brakes are insane :racer:

He thought the front end felt very good

He felt the rear was far too mobile. I'd been feeling this all day too, and I'm fairly sure it's down to the slicks in cold weather.

He thought the turbo seemed way too laggy. Oddly it seemed more laggy now than ever before. Surely an exhaust leak shouldn't cause that? Hmmmmmm.

We both commented that Nige was too late on the power on most corners. This is down to the nature of the delivery from the turbo. It's as if I've taught myself to be on the power sooner to preempt the boost coming in. Nige said I'd notice a massive change in his.

It was really good to get another point of view on the car. I think overall Impressions were positive. Nige also loved how the gear lever felt and the lightness of the controls but commented that there was still good feel in the steering.

Back into the pits and I jumped on board the famous Pinderwagen!

Eek.

Leaving the pits it was immediately obvious that all the controls were MUCH heavier. The clutch and throttle took a lot more effort to press.
The engine felt very eager though, and pressing the boost button for 1.2 bar propelled the 1000kg car forward at a very enjoyable rate!

I did however find the rev limiter almost Immediately :lol:

I'm so used to mine which has become a bit of a rev monster these days, that a 7200rpm rev limit felt quite alien to me at first :lol:

Nige has recently found that on the 235 slicks he can run into cv joint issues, so he now runs a very low 0.5bsr wastegate spring, with 1.2 bar on the button. This means you drive the corner at 0.5 bar and almost immediately get on the button at the exit of every bend. This was a bit different to me as I only usually use the button for that little extra boost when chasing people down!

What was immediately apparent with me driving his car, is that in his I was on the power too early wkth his little turbo so keen to just go immediately.
What worked great in mine was too early in the golf and resulted in it wanting to push on more.

Its interesting how different cars require a different approach, even when from outside there is nothing between them!

Pressing the brakes I was alarmed at how much brake pedal travel there was. They worked at the end of the travel, but it was so alien compared to mine.

Nige had commented that he found my brake pedal too high to heel n toe. I found his too low for it :laugh:

I have a 10mm spacer behind my brake pedal that I'll be removing.

The biggest thing though was the aero.

We had noticed all day that Nige was able to make huge gains on us around the fast banking.

Where I was on a steady throttle he was just reeling us in easily at an impressive rate.

Nige tried telling me that the banking was flat in his car.

I wasn't Convinced! Writing off the countries best known mk2 hadn't been in my list of objectives for the day!

First lap and Nige said to go flat. I couldn't do it :laugh:

He was so adamant that we did another lap just so I could try it.

The throttle trace shows I still had a little lift, but was flat for the most part.

This video makes me cringe, but it belongs in the report so here it is :laugh:

Reactions: Pedrosousa, superkarl, desertstorm and 1 other person
We had agreed before I went that Dad would take the A3 out whilst I was out driving Niges car.

Unknown to him I set the camera recording before I left so it'd capture Dads solo session on film :racer:

Here's @bigal 1 enjoying a few solo laps of Rockingham without me sat next to him shouting instructions that he can't hear anyway!

What an absolutely fantastic day!

Time now to start writing up post Rockingham stuff! Plenty has happened already!

Reactions: bigal 1
So, lag. as discussed above!

Is the GT30 too laggy? Well, I think the answer there is no.

Is the gt30 potentially too laggy for ME, and my uses for the car? possibly yes.

We know that my cam timing is not optimised currently. Since being set up at Bills a few interesting developments have occured and something new has been found that's not yet been implemented on mine.

The massive exhaust leak also turned out to be something altogether more sinsiter, and explained the funny noise I've been chasing for a while. The manifold was cracked! ******!

Those of you who follow the 1.8t scene via facebook will know that recently our in house Badger (@badger5 ) has very selflessly bought a new Garrett G25 660 unit and installed it on the Badgerwagen.

The G25 has been out about 6-7 months now, but until recently almost nobody had fitted one to a 1.8T. Certainly not anyone who's felt the need to share any results, so until Bill put himself out and tested it, all the rumours and hype were just that. Hype.

For more in the G25 testing, see Bills thread here:

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...nfo-here-as-more-sticky-than-facebook.380912/

So, if you read Bills thread, you'll see that the G25 660 spools faster than the HTA3076 by a good margin, around 500rpm ish. It also spools faster than the GTX gen2 by a VERY good margin. It also produces the same kind of power as the GT30 variants at fairly similar boost levels. The G25 maybe needing 1 or 2 psi more, but it's very close, and as we know I don't shoot for peak numbers anyway.

From Bills LAST round of turbo testing 2 years ago we know that my AET falls somewhere between the HTA and GTX units, so with everything optimised, my AET could never spool AS well as Bills HTA. The G25 out spools the HTA, so whatever I changed, the G25 is still the benchmark in terms of spool.

With this in mind, I decided not to persevere any further with the GT30. Whilst the G25 is relatively new and untested people are wary, so GT30 values remain high.

Give it 6 months, the G25 MAY well be all the rage, and people arn't going to want to buy a GT30 any more. I think knowing when to get out is key here!

I put the GT30 up for sale before I went to Rockingham, saying it was available from the Monday.

I had a message whilst on the way home from Rockingham, removed the turbo Monday night:

GSAkLQ6.jpg

A8ygViU.jpg

It still looked basically brand new!

Tuesday morning it was on the ferry with me to the Isle of Wight:

jW7wTG7.jpg

And replaced by a nice big fat wad of 50's to keep me warm on the way home:

BJOgp74.jpg

I didn't waste any time in ordering a G25 either!

A few days later, a huge box arrived!

OyQjSJR.jpg

Inside which were 2 smaller boxes:

kH1Et23.jpg

Inside which lived this beauty!

UIGNrv4.jpg

What a baby little thing!

mBc0A1f.jpg

Lt9CW4u.jpg

8j7f4Zp.jpg

Reactions: A19quattro, Alex C and hydro s3
That's a great video Nick & looks allot of fun was had. I saw it earlier in the week on BT 20vt's.........makes me wanna do track days.....more power & a mk1:racer:

Looking forward to what you make of this Nick and might be looking for a little help with some mapping :).
They seem to be coming down in price as well. Think you have done the right thing but only time will tell if it's reliable. I think Bill has confirmed that they make the power and certainly spool well.
Slightly concerned about your manifold cracking, Is it one supplied by Bill?. Do you think there is much difference in the weight of the 660 and the GTX you had on, might make it a little easier on the manifold.

My Manifold was not supplied by Bill no Karl.

It's a very early tsr manifold over 7 years old. Formerly 38mm gate. Modified by stevie wonders mate using a banana that he thought was a mig welder. That's why it's cracked.

I'll go into more detail later, but when this one finally dies for good, the only option for replacement will be Bills 1.25" runner manifold. It can't be beaten!

Right then you miserable lot :laugh:

It seems like engagement on forums is on a massive decline world wide, and with the rise of facebook and other social media it's no huge surprise.

So, rather than spend ages photographing, uploading, then writing it all up, I've decided to venture out into the world of Vlogs and start filming my adventures instead.

I'll still post some pics, but from now on the plan is to be much more video focused.

With that in mind, here's a very small taster of what's hopefully to come!

Reactions: S3AMJ, Gonzokew and Rainbird
I like this idea, should be fun. Could also be entertaining for all the wrong reasons depending on how quickly you learn to edit :tearsofjoy:

so you are now going to start to create "watch mother-in-law scream and then cry in 450BHP 1999 A3"

as soon as you get to 6,000,000 subscribers you will be on strictly come dancing and be allowed to decide the Brexit result :D

also you might need to buy some new shorts when you are working on the head.

once you get to 100K subscribers you can create an "innuendo" youtube best of.

awkward entries

Reactions: Rainbird
So sad if the demise of the forum is near. I am not on any social media thank god. I know it has its uses if its used properly. I find the forums a good reference and easily accesible with a permanent searchable data base.

Just to mention the "animal" its power is really good but the spool is not.

At Rockingham, to me, the spool did not suit my driving ( not wanting to take any risks) . Old, tired, blind. The track was lethal, wet etc. There were times when I thought I should change down a gear for a corner to get the spool for the exit, but that would have upset the balance of the car and also induced traction problems. WET WET WET.

However this new Garret G25 660 is a toltally different piece of kit. It starts to spool at something like 3k, not 4.5k and the torque is very much better and it gets up and goes VERY quickly. The mapping is going well but cannot be optimised because the wet weather means it wheel spins at any excuse and of course we need expert help to get the best out of it.

With luck BB will be able to optimised the engine. We can only go so far without expert intervention/help.

I drove the car on Christmas day, as usual, on narrow side roads and the effect of the acceleration on the narrow roads was electrifing . With the damp conditions spinning the wheels at high speeds was the norm.

I/we have very high hopes for this engine. It can only get better.

Congratulations to Nicholas on his Trailer licence and ARDS licence.

Last edited:
So sad if the demise of the forum is near. I am not on any social media thank god. I know it has its uses if its used properly. I find the forums a good reference and easily accesible with a permanent searchable data base.

Just to mention the "animal" its power is really good but the spool is not.

At Rockingham, to me, the spool did not suit my driving ( not wanting to take any risks) . Old, tired, blind. The track was lethal, wet etc. There were times when I thought I should change down a gear for a corner to get the spool for the exit, but that would have upset the balance of the car and also induced traction problems. WET WET WET.

However this new Garret G25 660 is a toltally different piece of kit. It starts to spool at something like 3k, not 4.5k and the torque is very much better and it gets up and goes VERY quickly. The mapping is going well but cannot be optimised because the wet weather means it wheel spins at any excuse and of course we need expert help to get the best out of it.

With luck BB will be able to optimised the engine. We can only go so far without expert intervention/help.

I drove the car on Christmas day, as usual, on narrow side roads and the effect of the acceleration on the narrow roads was electrifing . With the damp conditions spinning the wheels at high speeds was the norm.

I/we have very high hopes for this engine. It can only get better.

Congratulations to Nicholas on his Trailer licence and ARDS licence.
I'm hoping you carry on with the forum as well. I do follow on instagram but I really would rather read about what you're doing than watch a video. For one, it's a lot easier to get away with at work!!

Reactions: bigal 1, superkarl and hydro s3
Why do I get the feeling my post has been doctored?

Vlogs are great prawn but you might find you put more effort into that project than the car.

Much easier to find time to work on editing videos and getting a few quick clips than it is to spend hours working on the car, especially through the winter while it's cold and dark.

Plus, if anything, the vlog will give even more reason to get out and do stuff in the name of content :)

Edit: A decent, detailed forum post takes up to a couple of hours to put together - may as well swap the stills camera for something doing video whilst working on the car and then edit footage instead

Last edited:
Nick the instawhore is now a youtube princess... its a natural progression :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: bigal 1 and Prawn
I can't possibly comment, "

"But I do like him"

Reactions: Prawn and <tuffty/>
The numbers 522 come to mind at the moment.

More to come.!

It seems like ASN is a HIVE of activity at the moment, so seeing as I havn't posted anything here in ages I thought I'd double the forums predicted post count for today by adding this post.

Since the last update with the G25 arriving, MUCH has happened.

The G25 went on. It looks basically the same, so not much to see there.

Er9yjeF.jpg

su6thgc.jpg

however, on the road it's VEEEEEEEEEEEEERY different to the GT30. It almost feels like going back to a k04 hybrid in terms of response. It's just ballistic!

Early testing seemed promising (note rpm and boost guage)

gc8JPsF.jpg

That's 12psi at 3150rpm, 16psi at 3500, and 25psi at 3800!

Some further tweaking was done with the tablet of joy:

8zOY4Ne.jpg

Resulting in this:

dbG351t.jpg

that's 1,4 bar, or 20.5 psi at 3376rpm!

I've also changed my fueling strategy on the K6 and started from scratch with all my maps.

I've ditched the map compensation based alpha N fueling and swapped over to Speed density, and i'm finding fueling traces are far more stable.

We've done plenty of driving:

oDNdKq7.jpg

The G25 has totally reignited my love for just driving the car again. On the GT30 it was a very fast and capable tool, but somehow it just didn't excite me the way it used to, I didn't come home from work and just want to take it for a drive. You had to work it to extract the capability, and you ended up going very fast very quickly and despite how that sounds, it was less fun.

fpNsg3Y.jpg

I took it up to Thruxton:

FSSALIb.jpg

To sit my ARDS test in a Cayman:

lsB37ea.jpg

So i've just applied for my National B Race licence this week :racer:

RJPDDUe.jpg

More driving was done:

YPJkjIv.jpg

Dad and I even went out in the snow!

QCSyyl3.jpg

Yet more driving, just purely because it's so ****** enjoyable to drive now!

JiWpc5w.jpg

Then most recently I've bought an SEM inlet manifold from Bill :racer:

GgaHxVy.jpg

I've wanted one of these for a while, but it's always been the last piece of the puzzle to complete.

Wanting to put some truth to all the hype, I decided to do some power runs at a local place near me. These arn't final runs, but I'm doing a before and after power run. first with the stock inlet manifold and TB, then after I've swapped over I'll do some more runs with the SEM and VR6 Throttle body fitted :) It also helped me confirm where I'm at with my own mapping attempts, because 2 bar + in this current weather is both dangerous, and impossible to get a full pull through 4th gear, so a dyno was a much safer place to do it.

Arrived at Horsham Developments for some power runs. Jez at H-Dev has a lovely windows based Dyno Dynamics setup which is famously cruel (read - realistic). There are many a tale of dyno day attendees at H-Dev coming away very sad because they made so much less then expected :laugh:

DE90fRs.jpg

With this in mind, I drove up hopeful that the car would make somewhere around 460-470bhp at this stage. Entirely road mapped by me, and still on the stock inlet and throttle body.

We got the car strapped down:

Usp8mzC.jpg

What followed shocked pretty much everyone.

B8WY1Zc.jpg

Yup. The baby Garrett that spools better than a 28 is punching FIVE HUNDRED AND TWENTY TWO Horsepower :wtf:

303bhp 250lbft at 10psi
475bhp 375lbft at 25psi
522bhp 425lbft at 30psi

Safe fueling, very safe timing. EGTs stone cold at 630c peak all day.

da1db1866441aaf582b366086f3d744561ce3bd58460710bed57adc75de193bb.jpg

Reactions: Dubster5, superkarl, hydro s3 and 5 others
All in good time PT :laugh:

Plans to make vids etc are coming together. But I'm struggling to find the time to actually get out and make the first one!

I've filmed loads of stuff including getting the race licence etc, dyno time, driving around randomly, but I want to make a proper intro vid first then take it from there

All in good time PT :laugh:

Plans to make vids etc are coming together. But I'm struggling to find the time to actually get out and make the first one!

I've filmed loads of stuff including getting the race licence etc, dyno time, driving around randomly, but I want to make a proper intro vid first then take it from there

All you really need to do is plan what sequence you want to put the video clips together, figure out what content you have missing, create that content, and then edit!

This car is a beast! Looking at your results, I cannot wait to get my G25-660 - will be mega! Where have you set the rev limiter currently?

Thanks man!

For this test I had the soft cut at 8050 and the hard cut at 8200.

We didn't see the need to run it much beyond 8k. Peak power is occurring around 7700.

I am very happy with how it's done. The spread of power is amazing.

It's over 500bhp from 6300-8000.

Looking on my gear ratio charts, If I change from 2nd to 3rd at 8000rpm, it starts 3rd gear at 450bhp.

Changing from 3rd to 4th at 8000, it starts in 4th at 6250, so in theory once you're on it you'll never really drop below 500bhp!

Reactions: Gonzokew
Mental! I have to say, I didn't expect there would be such a difference between the GTX series of turbo's and the G25 series - spool seems vastly improved.

Would love to see your car and Gurdip's Golf in action at some point!

Looking on my gear ratio charts, If I change from 2nd to 3rd at 8000rpm, it starts 3rd gear at 450bhp.
Changing from 3rd to 4th at 8000, it starts in 4th at 6250, so in theory once you're on it you'll never really drop below 500bhp!

This is quite a terrifyingly awesome statement to be able to make.

Car's come a long way over the past decade dude!

Great news Nick that looks very encouraging, can't believe it's making that much power with a standard manifold and throttle body on it.
On a Dyno Dynamics dyno as well.
Be very interested in the differences you find with the SEM setup and the VR6 throttle body. I have a VR6 throttle body to fit to the standard manifold on my car. Just rang to see if the block has been rebored yet for the new pistons. The number I rang was diverted to another office and I have been told Competition Engine Services has been shut down and has ceased trading. They are however going to do the work for me but it won't be till the week after next as the machinist is off next week. At this rate I will have the car back together around Christmas.
I bet your car is going to be epic on the track now. Are you upgrading your front driveshafts ?