Pre-sense Front - Automatic Braking

cemerson

Reaction score
Well, the system has now been tested in my car and it certainly works! Though the thing that triggered it was a crisp packet in the road... It was exactly central, lined up with the radar sensor, and being blown along the lane as though it was a car in front, and I guess it must have been metallic too. Bizarre set of circumstances but brought the car almost to a halt pretty quickly!

I have a video from my dashcam that I'll probably post up later. Good job there was noone behind me as well!

Blimey !! You must have wondered what on earth was happening !

Was there anyway you could override the emergency breaking if someone was say behind you and like this it wasn't an emergency

Blimey !! You must have wondered what on earth was happening !

I had seen the crisp packet, and had worked out what was going on pretty quickly when the beep came, followed by the jolt on the brakes, but it was a bit surprising that it pretty much came to a stop from 30mph! A few people looking at me wondering what the hell I was playing at no doubt.

I honestly can't remember what I was doing at the time, but I was trying to stop it braking I think and there seemed to be no way to override it (but then, that's the whole point - the system wouldn't be much good if you could!). I'm pretty sure I was pressing the accelerator pedal, but no effect.

If someone behind me did go into the back of me I'm not sure what the situation would be - they'd obviously have been driving too close so technically their fault I suppose.

Reactions: Rob2k68
^^ Glad you're ok and no harm came of it.

I'm assuming that the system activated the brake lights to give those behind a warning.

Indeed glad you are ok as well. Very true what you say about how the situation would play out if someone had gone in to the back of you. Having a dash cam would have shown the crisp packet hopefully, so you would have that to back you up. I also read on the forum about the pre sense not liking the car over taking bicycles to closely as well. Hoping the benefits out weigh the potential issues you get one in a while.

I get a warning quite often, mainly when a car in front of me is slowing to turn off. It's quite frustrating when I know I've got plenty of room and start to accelerate before the car in front has left the road but the system still thinks you are going to hit the car in front.

Sometimes I'm a bit close I must admit but other times I've felt I've left lots of space.

Now the missus is moaning at me for getting too close every time the beep comes on to warn me!

^^ Glad you're ok and no harm came of it.

I'm assuming that the system activated the brake lights to give those behind a warning.

I would assume so, though no idea of course.

Indeed glad you are ok as well. Very true what you say about how the situation would play out if someone had gone in to the back of you. Having a dash cam would have shown the crisp packet hopefully, so you would have that to back you up. I also read on the forum about the pre sense not liking the car over taking bicycles to closely as well. Hoping the benefits out weigh the potential issues you get one in a while.

I've never had it go off overtaking a bicycle. It sounds like these people are overtaking them a bit too closely to be honest...

...Now the missus is moaning at me for getting too close every time the beep comes on to warn me!

The missus taking sides with a computer I can relate to that lol !! At least I'd take satisfaction knowing I could switch one of them off ;o)

I've never had it go off overtaking a bicycle. It sounds like these people are overtaking them a bit too closely to be honest...
That was me and it wasn't the bicycle per se, it was the large metal shopping cart being pushed along the opposite side of the road. I went around the bike with plenty of room, the car briefly angled toward the shopping cart, and pre-sense decided it was an oncoming car.

You can accelerate to override it :)

Can you? I'm pretty sure I was doing that... surely it would render the whole system pointless as it wouldn't do anything for someone who still has the accelerator pressed as they approach the back of the car in front?

If you had your right foot in the same position as when the pre sense kicked in, then no, pre sense has priority.

When it goes "bing" and/or when it jolts the brake, if you then push your right foot harder into the carpet, it will give you back control.

Can I confirm that the Pre-Sense (this is the same as what the Audi configurator calls 'Front Assist'?) is active at all times, even when you're not using adaptive cruise control at the time?

There are 2 sorts of Pre Sense
Pre Sense Front
Pre Sense Basic

Pre Sense Front comes "free" with ACC
It works all the time, regardless of whether ACC is active or not
But you can turn it off in the MMI

lol makes a change from the "Did you not see the dog that ran out in front of me?"..."Did you not see the crisp packet blow across the front of me officer?" :D

There are 2 sorts of Pre Sense
Pre Sense Front
Pre Sense Basic

Pre Sense Front comes "free" with ACC
It works all the time, regardless of whether ACC is active or not
But you can turn it off in the MMI

What's the difference between the two? The 'basic' one does stuff like tension the seat belts etc but the 'front' one does active braking etc?

Pre sense basic does things like close windows, tension seatbelts etc when it senses you are losing grip (I think). Pre sense front is the auto-braking when it detects you are going to hit something / likely to.

Reactions: NATOuk and veeeight