Pre Sense Tried to Kill me!

cass1usclayton

Reaction score
Driving on cruise control at 70mph (through average speed check cameras) I was in the outside lane about to pass an artic in the middle lane, as the front of my car passed the back wheels of the artic my car slammed full on and I mean full on, the only other time I have felt my brakes as strongly was when I let my wife drive once (who drives a manual) and she used her clutch foot on the brake.

I was then sat on the motorway looking in my rear view mirror at other cars bearing down on me and anchoring on also, my car would not move, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree and cycled through a list of issues; Airbag light, Parking brake light, exclamation mark triangle, Pre sense fault, emergency braking system off, safety system fault, start stop system fault, Emergency Call function fault, parking brake fault, TPMS Fault and Stabilisation control fault, then the car decided it was ok to go again so I set off, all the faults remain on the dash screen but at least the car moves, Audi tells me this is down to an airbag sensor fault and want to charge me £1100 for the privilege of replacing it, I asserted that this is surely a recall issue but they say they only recall if more than 5 cars exhibit the same fault so I'm just wondering if anyone else has?

Attachments

• IMG_4675.jpg
    IMG_4675.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_4676.jpg
    IMG_4676.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4677.jpg
    IMG_4677.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4678.jpg
    IMG_4678.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4679.jpg
    IMG_4679.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4680.jpg
    IMG_4680.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4681.jpg
    IMG_4681.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4682.jpg
    IMG_4682.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4683.jpg
    IMG_4683.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 166
What car do you have?

I will shift your post to the A5 section

Reactions: cass1usclayton
Have you spoken to an Audi dealer or contacted Audi customer relations directly ?

Sounds like a potentially dangerous fault, on a car that is sold partly on its safety features.

Have you spoken to an Audi dealer or contacted Audi customer relations directly ?

Sounds like a potentially dangerous fault, on a car that is sold partly on its safety features.
I have been in touch with Audi directly, they are not remotely interested in figuring out how this happened or why it caused all the other systems to go down with it.
The party line is that until it happens to 5 cars they do not investigate.
When I pressed them they did admit that none of these systems should have failed as a result of an airbag sensor malfunction but that is definitely what happened because once they had replaced it, everything else came back online.
I didn't even realise it at the time but my satnav had been effected too, when I was driving to the dealership to leave the car with them I tried to use it and it was just spinning round and round, this issue also completely cleared up when the airbag sensor was changed.
Audi's attitude has been about finding the problem, repairing it and saying job done, instead of trying to figure out what caused this in the first place or why it took everything else down which they conceded it shouldn't have done.
This is the last Audi I will own on the strength of this response.

That sounds like a poor response to what could have been potentially very dangerous ?

You might not get anywhere, but I would take the time to put your complaint in writing and send it to 'head office', don't know whether UK or Germany would be the best bet ?

It fell far short of what I was expecting for such a serious incident, to my mind a failing sensor should at the most have warranted a light on the dashboard and a message on info screen, to anchor on from 70mph and then lose all systems is a catastrophic failure that warrants a thorough investigation.
I will try write to Audi in Germany

It does sound as though the car 'over reacted' to the sensor fault.

Be interested to see what response you get from Audi ?

Hope you get some sense out of the manufacturer, will wait to hear what you get back from them.

Did you ever get a reply? The exact same thing just happened to me in my 2019 Q5 as I was driving my son to school. Luckily it was when I was going 40mph on a back road. Waiting for my Audi dealer to call me back.

This is why I've stuck with a 2011 car! That sounds utterly dangerous and if the original poster had been going even faster past the lorry it could have been far worse!
I'm assuming "pre sense" is some sort of safety feature...