Preparation work on new car prior to applying Gtechniq

france71

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

New car should be arriving soon and I have purchased the range of Gtechniq products from Slim's detailing. For the paintwork I have the 'serum light'.

My question is how to prepare the car. The car will be delivered without any special add-ons just the normal showroom preparation for a new car. I have plenty of Gtechniq panel wipe and lots of new microfibre clothes. So can I just get the car 'really' clean then use the GT Panel wipe -say 2 times everywhere to prep the paintwork. I don't want to get into machine polishing if not necessary.

I have looked at online videos as well as Getchniq's own videos but I would like to hear from others that have been at this stage.

The wheels and glass will get similar Gtechniq treatments....

Thanks in advance.

Hello everybody,

New car should be arriving soon and I have purchased the range of Gtechniq products from Slim's detailing. For the paintwork I have the 'serum light'.

My question is how to prepare the car. The car will be delivered without any special add-ons just the normal showroom preparation for a new car. I have plenty of Gtechniq panel wipe and lots of new microfibre clothes. So can I just get the car 'really' clean then use the GT Panel wipe -say 2 times everywhere to prep the paintwork. I don't want to get into machine polishing if not necessary.

I have looked at online videos as well as Getchniq's own videos but I would like to hear from others that have been at this stage.

The wheels and glass will get similar Gtechniq treatments....

Thanks in advance.
Hopefully you'll be applying all of this indoors, panel wipe is all you need on new car paint, as for application, 2 panels at a time for application giving you have the correct temperature around 20 degrees centigrade.... If warmer one panel at time.... Curing time is all down to room/garage temp

You will get very good advice on this forum but you can also try
www.detailingworld.co.uk
as well but be prepared to get sucked in and it costs £ £ £s but well worth it ....

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Jassyo06
Hopefully you'll be applying all of this indoors, panel wipe is all you need on new car paint, as for application, 2 panels at a time for application giving you have the correct temperature around 20 degrees centigrade.... If warmer one panel at time.... Curing time is all down to room/garage temp
Thanks. Yes I have a garage but getting the 20 deg C is going to be difficult at this time of year.

Thanks. Yes I have a garage but getting the 20 deg C is going to be difficult at this time of year.
All the better as you can apply it to more panels at a time, break the application up into 5 area's, 2 sides plus the front and back then finally the roof, don't use the buffing cloths for any other purpose and make sure you have a new cloth for each area as you'll get better results =it won't be as grabby when buffing off, also l would use the block type applicators to apply the serum light and not Gtechniq white circular ones they're gash, also ex03 l would apply this over the serum for maximum effect, l applied all of this to my last car it looked awesome, remember post photos of yer results mate

Thanks for that. What is the minimum recommended temperature. Of late it has been rather chilly. Car not yet at dealership but I've been told 'any day or another'.... I'm stuck at sea working so when I get home to collect it will be another matter. I'm off to the UK for Christmas and New Year so it might not get done until early New Year. I have one large roofed open garage (no front) which would offer more light and one enclosed with doors triple garage but none of these are heated and they have stone walls that hold the cold in. I'll be looking for a bright sunny day to get it cleaned and washed. I have a compressor to blow away the water but getting the car super dry will be tricky.

I bought about 30 new micro fibre clothes for this project and my old ones will be relegated to engine and wheel duty....

It is a A4 Allroad Ibis White 2.0TFSi. Diamond cut wheels with summer tyres and 18 wheels with Winter tyres will get fitted. Having the spare set means I can get C5 product for the wheels done inside so that is a plus.

Once done I'll post some pictures.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. What is the minimum recommended temperature. Of late it has been rather chilly. Car not yet at dealership but I've been told 'any day or another'.... I'm stuck at sea working so when I get home to collect it will be another matter. I'm off to the UK for Christmas and New Year so it might not get done until early New Year. I have one large roofed open garage (no front) which would offer more light and one enclosed with doors triple garage but none of these are heated and they have stone walls that hold the cold in. I'll be looking for a bright sunny day to get it cleaned and washed. I have a compressor to blow away the water but getting the car super dry will be tricky.

I bought about 30 new micro fibre clothes for this project and my old ones will be relegated to engine and wheel duty....

It is a A4 Allroad Ibis White 2.0TFSi. Diamond cut wheels with summer tyres and 18 wheels with Winter tyres will get fitted. Having the spare set means I can get C5 product for the wheels done inside so that is a plus.

Once done I'll post some pictures.
In that case just apply to one panel at a time, also use a electric heater of some sort and l ain't been funny a hairdryer these 2 things will speed up the curing of the serum

Probably too late, but don't let the dealer clean or use polish on the car as any residue will increase the chances that the Serum Light wont adhere as well as it should. Always use an iron decontaminate on the paint. Think it's not needed? See the picture of my new car after using some....
IMG 1243

If you are applying the 'light' serum, this will lock in the condition of your car for something like 5 years, so it needs to be squeaky clean. Usual safe wash procedure, then using Iron X, Tar remover and clay to get the best possible life span out of your product. Machine polishing may be necessary if you've seen some of the cars that get handed over these days..far from 'showroom' condition.

Looking back on all the money I've spent over the years, I think i would probably pay a professional detailer to prep and apply this to my next car, making maintenance washes a breeze.

Say i'd spent £1k on products in 4/5 years....an 'enhancement detail would be roughly £500-600 (for a medium car), with a ceramic coating setting you back something like £300+?

Its all good advice above, especially using a heat source to speed things up this time of year.

If you want something to view rather than read to give you a better understanding of what you are taking on, take a look at this, there are planty of other examples on youtube.

Jungle

Reactions: Jassyo06