Pressure Testing Turbo Hoses.

jm-baker

Reaction score
I tryed pressure testing the hoses on my S3 today.

I made a 80mm plug, put a shrader valve in it, and put it on the inlet hose, where it connects to the MAF.

I then removed one of the hoses connecting to the inlet hose (the larger of the two) and plugged it off. From what i can see, this hose i removed is the breather hose for the engine, as it connects back to the top of the head ?? The smaller of the two i left attached ( goes too vent side of N75 valve).

When i apply pressure i can hear what sounds like oil bubbling in the sump, as if air is leaking back into the engine. Tho i can see no other route it could get there other than the hose i plugged off.

Any ideas ??

Any help would be much appreciated!!

I cant seem to find a good write up on how to do a pressure test, and i have no manual to refer too.

Cheers

Thanx 4 the link, iv not seen that site before.

Reading it, it seem to be exactly what i did today, so im not sure why i can hear the bubbling inside the engine when i add pressure??

when you say after the MAF , did you mean after the turbo? the intake does have breather pipes into it.

No, after the MAF. I took the hose off the MAF meter and put my test plug with valve in at that point.

The two hoses i then refer to are the two that tee off that hose, before it goes onto the turbo.

James

Been thinking about this more, could the pressure be going through the turbo bearings and into the oil lines some how? i really want to get this pressure test done.....

if your bearings seals are gone yea , you'd also be getting oil leaking into your turbo and being blown through the exhaust.

Just a thought did you block off the pipe that goes to the throttle body, it could be leaking through TB butterfly or through the idle control valve.