Previous TT owners now B7.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Afternoon guys,
I'm about to take ownership of a MK1 tt 225 quattro but before I do I was looking for some info on them.
I have posted on the TT forum but the thought crossed my mind that maybe some of you B7 owners may have been TT owners at some point.
any info / help would be good on the subject either here or to my post in the TT section.

cheers
rob

Reactions: Sandra
Being in the motor trade over the years they just seemed to have the odd one suffer from electrical gremlins so that may be worth investigating as far as the bam engine there amazing!

Reactions: Sandra
I'm allways open to new experiences..lol, its only a cheapy but overall VGC, so a bit of a project car really, oddly the interior is very good for its age ,anyway something to do in between fixing the old bus.

I can’t believe how cheap they are now unbelievable amount of car for the money.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I work with a guy who has a 99/00 1.8t TT quattro. Good little car apparently. He had issues with corroded wiring beneath the scuttle (where the engine ecu is) that prevented the car from starting. Also every oem head unit by the sound of things are either broken or going to break soon. Thats all i can help with unfortunately

Funnily enough I’ve been converting a MK1 TT for a while now... I’d like a Sport Quattro but prices have started to go crazy on those. The essential buyers guide (on eBay for about £5 inc postage) is a good start. Also Performance Audi has a good artical this month. Classics mag (spring issue) has some helpful tips too.
I can scan them and email over if you’d like?
2F7DA436 6BC5 40A4 B743 2BB35A9567C2

I got a Roadster 2 years ago so was great in the sun last year and this so far.They don't seem to date and are well made.The 1.8 can suffer pick up pipe problems so best to get one not on longlife and maybe even do a clean up with the sump off if its going to stay.They are holding their value especially if it has good extras which mine has and I even found a cheap tonneau last year.So far had to replace the wiper motor and sort a power steering fluid leak.The aircon hasn't worked but that's no bother in a roadster on an open road.

Ask away Rob, I’m been involved with Mk1 TT’s for many years and I’m also an Admin on The Audi TT MK1 Forum and Community on Facebook

I have had a 3.2 dsg and a qS. Both low mileage cars. I did baby them and were only used on sunny days but they are cracking cars. I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one if something popped up.
I sold the qS last year for good money, bit it did only have 28k miles on it and was an absolute minter
They are getting harder to find in good condition but they are out there. They sold a lot of them
As already mentioned check the history and the oil change intervals. If in doubt I would drop the simp and replace the oil pick up as they block.
The dash pods can play up but can be fixed relatively cheaply. Check the windows drop when you pull the door handle. The microswitches/door mechanism can be faulty.
Like a lot of Audi's at the time the buttons on the stereo can go clear as the buttons wear.
Check the seam/join at the back of the front wing where it meets the sill. These can get a build up of crud under the plastic wheel arch liner and rust. If ok the first thing I would do is remove the liners and clean it.
The roof rails corrode as they are painted aluminium, very common but straight forward enough to sort out.
As with any car of this age, go in with your eyes open and if you fall in love with cars at first sight take someone with you to calm you down!
Any other questions I am sure there are plenty of people here to help. The TT forum is a very good source of info and some very knowledgeable people on there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My wife has a 2001 roadster and it's what prompted me to look at Audis when I replaced my Land Rover. The difference in build quality between a TT and a Disco 2 (yeah I know they're old) is ridiculous, particularly when you consider the Disco was £10k more new!

I had an 03 V6 DSG Quattro, my issues were:
- Dashpod petrol gauge not reading anything and the MTE not working, I used to drive on the logic of £25 got me 80 miles
- DSG PRDNS light of doom came on and I had to replace the Mechatronic unit
- Rear springs were from a sport model so not the correct height
- one window didn’t drop
- one Xenon needed a tap

Otherwise loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned 2 mk1 225 quattro's. Loved both of them and never had single fault with either. Only thing I would say is it will probably feel lacking in power compared to the 2.0 TFSI. Even more so as you've uprated some of your components on your old bus

Standard mk4 platform problems which are minor and mostly age related like

Wiring deteriorates
Most sensors will be on their way out
All the rubber hoses will be perishing with age/hot oil.
Every bush will be nearly or will be knackered.
K04 exhaust manifold can be prone to cracking.
Window motors fail.

Engine itself is solid, the 02M box has stronger gears than the old 5spd 02J but has minor issues that can be considered preventive performance maintenance.

I’d get one in a heart beat, service the haldex and have some fun, fix it as required.....