Private Plate? What do I need to do?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I just bought a private plate from DVLA - one that starts with R3 and then has my initials after - it is okay - I couldn't find anything super cool but it's better than the 67 plate now we are in 19 range.

For anyone that has put a private plate on their cars what is the process that is next?

It appears that there is an online form to change it over which I can do once I have some plates made up.

I assume I need to contact the insurance company to update my reg and also Audi finance?
What happens to my old plate?

Also as I do have a shorter reg now I assume I could potentially get a shorter front plate made... what are the rules regarding that? and how would you remove the existing plate holder and then attach the new plate?

Hi buddy, I just recently swapped mine over.

1. Get the plates made up. A lot of places like Halfords won’t make the plates up until you receive V317 document. You can get round this and save money by getting plates from somewhere like eBay.

2. When you want to put plates on vehicle contact your insurance and Audi finance to let them know the new Reg. This change should take affect immediately on their system.

3. Assign the plate to the vehicle. You can do this here https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/keep-or-assign. Use the online reference number you received when you purchased the plate.

4. Your existing plate will always be linked to your vehicle. For example when you take that private Reg off the original plates would go back on.

5. Yes you can put shorter plates on, but not sure of the exact legal dimensions. A simple google search will tell you.

6. The existing plate holders are just screwed on (mine anyway), so and easy swap over. I replaced these with genuine Audi sport plate holders which look better in my opinion. Plate simply clicks in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: S3 Rav and V6_Man
I've just put my private plate on in the last fortnight. Super easy to do. As above, follow the link online. It will ask you to put in your private reg reference number and you can then assign it to your car and put the plates on the same day. Then just let your insurer know.

Thanks guys.

I also pay my car tax by direct debit - anyone know if I neee to let them know or if it will auto update on the DVLA system?

Thanks guys.

I also pay my car tax by direct debit - anyone know if I neee to let them know or if it will auto update on the DVLA system?

It’s automatic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going through this myself now - just awaiting the document from the DVLA and I'll be changing them over.