Private reg?

S32B

Reaction score
Anyone switched their old Audi for another Audi (in the UK) and moved the plates over?

Is it something you can let the dealer sort out or do you have to remove the plate off your old car before switching it for the new car?

Reason I ask- I just had a quote for my car which is £150 more than Audi are offering, BUT they would want me to put a normal plate on the car before taking it off me...so if I'm paying for that to be done it's not worth messing around with, may as well let Audi have it for £150 less.

Just do a cherished transfer if you have another car available or put it on retention, the latter can now be done automatically online during working hours and your old number is reassigned straightaway.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Yep did it three months ago., As mentioned done instantly online for £80.... but your insurance company will also charge you an admin fee of maybe £30. So the difference seems hardly worth the hassle.
I did it as I have had the same number for twenty five years and it is worth about £1500 now !

Yep did it three months ago., As mentioned done instantly online for £80.... but your insurance company will also charge you an admin fee of maybe £30. So the difference seems hardly worth the hassle.
I sis it as I have had the same number for twenty five years and I is worth about £1500 now !

Not all of them charge, mine was free :)

Yeah that was what I was getting at, if I sell it (non Audi dealer) I'll have to pay £80. So if I just switch cars with Audi will they do it? If so the £150 less they are offering is worth it as they have the hassle of changing it over and then I just switch cars on the day. By selling it elsewhere and having to switch the reg myself I'd only be up by £70....so not worth getting from one place to the other for that amount.

What...car are you getting,a white s3 saloon panroof

Ermmm no! Mate got this quote and it interested me as well:

Tt

Reactions: Jassyo06
audi won't do it unless you ask them as part of the deal, otherwise they will assume you don't want the plate and you won't get it.

i'v never came across quite a conundrum about a private plate or not, you either want it on your new car or you don't??

Power folding door mirrors... bin the Alcantara...sorted...nice car. go for it

Yeah that was what I was getting at, if I sell it (non Audi dealer) I'll have to pay £80. So if I just switch cars with Audi will they do it? If so the £150 less they are offering is worth it as they have the hassle of changing it over and then I just switch cars on the day. By selling it elsewhere and having to switch the reg myself I'd only be up by £70....so not worth getting from one place to the other for that amount.

Ermmm no! Mate got this quote and it interested me as well:

View attachment 75978

Seems quite expensive to me for an s-line considering it's fairly lean on options?

audi won't do it unless you ask them as part of the deal, otherwise they will assume you don't want the plate and you won't get it.

i'v never came across quite a conundrum about a private plate or not, you either want it on your new car or you don't??
lol no conundrum, obviously I want it on the next car, I was just expecting a simple answer from someone who had switched cars & plates with Audi. When I bought the plate from DVLA I just gave the paperwork to Audi and they registered my S3 with it and it was on when I collected the car. I just wanted to know if it's as simple changing it over to the next car, hence why I asked if anyone had done it.

Pointless me paying out to put it on retention and then someone coming along and saying "Audi would have just switched it over to your new car for you".

Seems quite expensive to me for an s-line considering it's fairly lean on options?

£35,690 Says the configurator???? sorry yours is Haldex so veeight would say lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon L
£37,155 with the options! hence why I liked the look of £30,963 :)

lol no conundrum, obviously I want it on the next car, I was just expecting a simple answer from someone who had switched cars & plates with Audi. When I bought the plate from DVLA I just gave the paperwork to Audi and they registered my S3 with it and it was on when I collected the car. I just wanted to know if it's as simple changing it over to the next car, hence why I asked if anyone had done it.

Pointless me paying out to put it on retention and then someone coming along and saying "Audi would have just switched it over to your new car for you".

Just ask them to do the cherished transfer as part of the deal? Thats what they did with mine.

Well the price av got on the configurator before discount is £35,690...minus quattro lol

Just ask them to do the cherished transfer as part of the deal? Thats what they did with mine.
and there's the answer :) thanks.

The other place insisted that I'd have to remove the private plate before they'd buy the car off me.

Looks like I am going to be a lonely S3 8v owner in my neck of the woods again....:crying:....lol
ps Looks like a nice spec. of car..:respekt:

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon L and Jassyo06
Was fairly easy to do. It is done on line and you get the new reg number instantly.
I got the new log book for my old car within three days , and a retention certificate a few days later.
Phoned the insurance company and changed the reg number.
It did cost me £80 to the Dvla and £30 to insurance co. But I got £1500 more on than the trade in offer.
Try the dealer , mine seemed to not want to do it..

and there's the answer :) thanks.

The other place insisted that I'd have to remove the private plate before they'd buy the car off me.
I have changed mine over many times (11 to precise) and in each case I've just put the plate on retention and then given the retention certificate to my dealer. They have then registered the car with my number. I think putting it on retention costs around £110 but £80 of that is the actual transfer fee. Not a lot extra when I buying a £30k+ car and always very straightforward.

I drive my existing car with H5DJR on to the dealers and collect my new car also with H5DJR on. Usually I take a photo of both cars together. Not quite legal but my dealer always says as only one of them is one the road at any one time it's no real problem.

Reactions: Pulp84
I did it a couple of months ago , and the price includes the retention and transfer for about £80.
The web page is dead easy to use.

I would think that, even without the consideration of the number plate, it would not be worth £150 extra to sell the car to a third party.
The convenience of driving up in your old car and driving away in your new one would be worth £150. IMO.

When I bought this A3 (new) the dealer wanted my plate on retention so it could be registered straight away with my private plate - it never was given an age related plate.. This suited me anyway as it gave me the option of punting the car around other dealers for cash and I had time to get thsi done whilst it was being built.

Previously when I did the same thing at Audi dealers but on a used car the dealers were happy to do the transfer for me - I just paid the fee. However they have now closed all the local DVLA offices (where you could get the transfer done there and then) so its probably not practical any more as it all has to be done by post.

Hopefully at some point in the future all the cherished transfers will be done online, rather than online. At least the cherished retention certifcate is now 10 years (and free).