PRNDS Flashing - Intermittent Starting Issue

Shandow

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 2006 DSG A3 2.0 TDI (BKD) and it has an intermittent starting issue - the car turns over but will not start.
The DIS shows the PRNDS flashing. I have to keep taking the key out and re-inserting and then it starts.. however, this has been getting worse.
I have sent my ECU to BBA Reman which meant I was without the car for 2 weeks. They have sent the ECU back and there was nothing wrong with it at all.. I am really confused, what could the issue be?

PRNDS flashing usually indicates a problem with the DSG gearbox. Not a good sign at all. Have you had the car scanned with VCDS, which should show some fault codes that you can use to determine where the problem is? Not heard of gearbox issues preventing a good start, but perhaps it is logical. Make sure you have a really good battery. These cars do need lots of amps at the right voltage. If your battery is more than 5 years old, it should be load-tested to see if it can still deliver the goods. A diesel needs to turn over fast to get the fueling right, so do get this checked. . Glad your ECU is OK. Good luck.

It's really strange, when the car is driving it drives spot on, everything is fine, smooth gear changes etc.
It's just the starting issue really. I have read somewhere it could be related to the shifter as it's locked in park position or something. This would make sense as I have to reinsert the key or play about with the alarm, locking and unlocking the car and then it starts...

You best of getting the car scanned with VCDS or something along them lines, as the scan should show up any faults. Maybe a local garage can go this or maybe have a look in the members VCDS section. Maybe someone local that could scan for a couple of beer tokens.

I had it scanned and the mechanic thought it would be the ecu.
I'll get it scanned again in the afternoon and report what I find!

Two things come to memory? from that era.
1. Wiring loom plug to gearbox might need reseating.
2. Gearbox temperature sensor faulty.

So I had the VCDS connected and here's the code I got:

Hi,

I still have the issue. The mechanics checked all modules and relays and their all fine..
I'm really lost on this. How could a wiring harness go wrong??
Could it be the TCM??

Any help guys or any one know of any good mechanics near the Heathrow area.. Could do with someone checking my relays and wiring...

Hi all,

FINALLY FIXED!
I thought I would come back to this thread as when I was looking around and searching about this issue, there was a lot of unanswered questions and open discussions with barely anyone resolving the problem.

So to cut a long story short - it was the ECU!
I went to another mechanic who tested the mechatronic unit and concluded that it was fine. He then went on to check all the wiring and guaranteed me it was the ECU (even though I had it already tested by BBA Reman).
I decided to use this company: http://www.ecutesting.com/ who I highly highly recommend.
They first test the ECU and if there isn't a fault, then only a testing fee is charged (around £45) and the rest from the original total is refunded. If however there is a fault, then it is part of the total you initially pay. It also comes with a lifetime warranty so whatever caused mine to ****** up, if it does happens again, then I should be covered.
You also do not need to re-code anything!
They have extremely good customer service and also have a tracking service for your unit which is on their website (they also send texts and emails with any updates as soon as it happens). In terms of turnaround time, I had mine back to me in 5 working.

I will get my other mechanic who originally sent the ECU to BBA Reman to ask for a refund - hopefully this won't be a headache!
If they had diagnosed the issue correctly, I wouldn't have had to fork out on the mechatronic testing and the wiring harness being checked which would have saved me a small fortune.

Reactions: janice brisow and leegsi
Hi all,

FINALLY FIXED!
I thought I would come back to this thread as when I was looking around and searching about this issue, there was a lot of unanswered questions and open discussions with barely anyone resolving the problem.

So to cut a long story short - it was the ECU!
I went to another mechanic who tested the mechatronic unit and concluded that it was fine. He then went on to check all the wiring and guaranteed me it was the ECU (even though I had it already tested by BBA Reman).
I decided to use this company: http://www.ecutesting.com/ who I highly highly recommend.
They first test the ECU and if there isn't a fault, then only a testing fee is charged (around £45) and the rest from the original total is refunded. If however there is a fault, then it is part of the total you initially pay. It also comes with a lifetime warranty so whatever caused mine to ****** up, if it does happens again, then I should be covered.
You also do not need to re-code anything!
They have extremely good customer service and also have a tracking service for your unit which is on their website (they also send texts and emails with any updates as soon as it happens). In terms of turnaround time, I had mine back to me in 5 working.

I will get my other mechanic who originally sent the ECU to BBA Reman to ask for a refund - hopefully this won't be a headache!
If they had diagnosed the issue correctly, I wouldn't have had to fork out on the mechatronic testing and the wiring harness being checked which would have saved me a small fortune.
Hi Shandow,
My A4 s line convertible has the flashing lights and my Mechanic has advised the ECU be repaired. I've had a quote from ecu testing and was wondering how much you paid for the mechanic to refit the ECU.

Hi Janice,

I was charged £300 for the Mechatronic testing (taking off the gearbox etc) and finding the fault through checking all the wiring and finally taking out and installing the new ECU.
I would say between £40-70 is what you should expect to pay for just the ECU on an A3.