Problems after a new slip ring

tdisportuk

Reaction score
Hi all

had to have my slip ring changed due to the horn switch part being faulty, had the slip ring change now the cars throwing up ESP errors and the steering lights on. Steering does not swing back as it used to. Could it need a lateral angle sensor too? how can i sort out the ESP its not showing any errors when read but light is on and it wont attempt to control the car when you wheel spin it so its deffo not working

hi,

yes it was brand new, a friend of mine did it for me but then nothing was showing up on the diagnostics. But thanks for that link will pass it on to him asap!

THANKS AGAIN :D

the esp still remains the same after following the steps :| i give up!

Was the part a direct replacement ie same part number?

While messing about with my new cluster I have had to do the above proc loads of times, the only time i had a problem was when I accidentally clicked on the ESP test drop down menu. That causes the traction control light to stay on until you have completed a series of manuvers. These consist of driving round in circles one way & then another a certain speeds. Does it flash for a certain time after switching on the ignition beore staying on?

Yes if the slip ring was installed properly & I mean properly as in centered wheel etc & red tab pulled of if new when fitting wheel back on, then the procedures will work, may take a few times but they do work, did you make sure the steering angle sensor is fitted in ok aswell, its a small module fitted in the same area as slip ring & steering ecu.

Hi guys,

many thanks for the replies.

As far as im aware this was done correctly, however im none the wiser as i wasnt the one who fitted it. Yes the part number was the same. When starting up the car will show all the lights as it should, then the steering and esp lights remain, they dont flash but when i press the ESP button to turn it on/off it makes the 'dong' then says ESP OFF then it will beep as an error and give the 'ESP FAULT' message, and theres no traction control whatsoever.

We were thinking of changing that sensor its been tried a few times, on one occasion they disappeared for a split second then came back on instantly. They are not using VCDS, i think its called solarus or something? not to sure but it covers most of the cars, it throws up the same options as VCDS but just in a slightly different format.

Car - 56reg 2.0tdi a3 sport

Many thanks

Yes if the slip ring was installed properly & I mean properly as in centered wheel etc & red tab pulled of if new when fitting wheel back on, then the procedures will work, may take a few times but they do work, did you make sure the steering angle sensor is fitted in ok aswell, its a small module fitted in the same area as slip ring & steering ecu.

Its fun fitting a 2nd hand one, you have to ignore the "dont turn it disconnected" advice. Just as well I did as it was definately not centred! Had to count the amount of rotations & devide by 2 LOL.

Is there somebody near you with VAGCOM that can give you the specific fault codes? Might help to narrow it down - it must be a pain to drive like that!!!

Not that i know of, was thinking of buying one but im looking to sell up soonish, so i doubt it will be worth it unles i get another VAG car.
Yeah it is a big pain driving it, its nearly been a year! that post back back in may '09!

Will try get hold of someone with vcds

Where have I read this before, was it you before I advised to get vagcom on it & not use the other kit, rings a bell, but vagcom will fix it end of, cant believe you've left it this long without fixing it or finding someone with vagcom, really cant, its been a year almost.

I think ive only left it this long due to the company car! - just pure lazyness! :$ now im thinking of selling up im trying to get things moving i guess!

and yes NHN your bang on, you did say to buy it!

hi,

sorry about the late reply. Im from birmingham.

Did check that the slip ring supplied was the correct one. TPS confirmed this incase its of any interest the p/n is: 1K0959653D

Many thanks

Thats fine, so its vagcom you need to reset the options or they screwed up the install.

if the install had be srewed up then would i need to buy another one?

Thanks

Yes, but as already advised get vagcom on it, its pointless doing anything else until you get this scanned & then do the procedures to reset them.

will get in tocuh with midland vw today, the seem pretty good! - i think!

PM 1wheelonly as he's in midlands, he can help resolve these issues as vw will charge u the earth

agreed, pm 1wheelonly he will be able to help, hes not far from birmingham and could deffo sort it out for you, hes got vagcom aswell.

Lol!

again thanks for the ultra quick responces! sorry responces due to work overload :(

Well i did manage to contact midland vw - a mechanic not knowing or confused by me saying calibrate a slip ring on an audi a3 wasnt very promising but they quoted £25 inc vat but also said it will take a few hours?! im sure this process cant take long to do 3 or 4 wheel turns and drive a short distance at a slow speed?!

SOO..

hello there 1wheelonly =D please say you can help?! even if its more than £25 i dont mind.

Many thanks :)

When i fitted my FBMF wheel and new slip ring i got stuck and took it to Colchester Audi with the steering assist not working problem. not joking but it took them less than 2 mins while i watched and they didn't even charge so i gave the guys a few beer tokens!!

the only trouble with going to 1 wheel is you will end up with a PS3 installed where your airbag should be and a remote control tire presure monitor before you can say "Just the slip ring please" :)

Last edited:
LOL! thats exactly what i told the guy on the phone and he said no its not 'that simple' and will need the car there for a couple of hours.

haha! as long as the steering assist and esp starts to work again, i guess ill just have to live with the ps3 :cool: LOL

Shut up pat, it would be a PS2 not 3, lmfao, anyway I can vouch for wheelie if that helps, get in contact with him asap to get your issues resolved tdi as this has been going on for way to long now huh fella.

Ok, so after visiting Lea (1wheelonly) glad to say hes managed to sort the damn thingy out, im actually shocked with 'mechanics' around that dont have a clue what there doing! Turns out to be the whole of the steering ecu has been 'played' around with and bits here and there were not pluged in correctly.

id reccomend Lea (1wheelonly) anyday! - and anyone with a VAG car to buy VCDS from Nigel (NHN) its like a magic wand for these cars! lol

once again, cheers buddy!

no problem mate, glad to help, deffo had some issues there, was a head scratcher for a while for sure, turned out to be bent pins , nothing round the steering column seemed to of been fitted properly/ securely.
big shout and thanks to nige ( nhn ) who was on the end of the phone for me for advice and help to check and double check things, cheers mate.

still need to get your other bits for the rest of the car, would advise getting sooner rather than later mate.

Most welcome Lea as always, good job done again aswell.

Yes that was an adventure today huh given the steering angle sensor wouldnt calibrate given wasnt even seen, which lead us to the bent pins & crap fitment, TDISPORT, dont know who did your car, but sack them asap as was terrible workmanship mate, Lea's near you so he'll sort things for yer.

Once pin was back in ok, we could see the calibration was possible & Lea sorted, wasnt as easy as it sounds, just a quick bit of info for others, but saved a seriously expensive day at audi thats for sure for mr sport.

I'd suggest you get the other errors worked on asap mate to alleviate any concerns & also takes these out of the equation should a major fault arise huh.

@1wheelonly @NHN - thank you again guys, yes i wouldnt even want to think about what audi would of charged for this - considering they would of just put on new parts rather than attempting to mend the current one plus redicoulous ammounts of labour.

@khufu - already 'exchanged' words, caused so much headache - the car was just left parked up in the end. :icon_thumright:

the drive back was 'fun' again knowing that the steering swung back as it should do, and the esp working.

Last edited: