Problems after fitting 19's

Brodster

Reaction score
Website
www.brotek.co.uk
Evening peeps

Need to pick the brains of the wheel masters. Just fitted 19" BBS CK's to the S3 running 225/35/19. Now after getting them balanced after the front end almost got shaken off I have a worrying problem. Above 70 mph the front end of the car seems to go very light and skittish......to the point where I thought I had no control whatsoever. Even on general handling it doesnt handle nearly as well as the 18's. Is this a common problem when running 19's coz if so then they will be up for sale very shortly. Now the only thing I can think of is as they are slightly stretched being 225's tyre pressures need to be spot on. I am running 44 front and 38 back. Is this about right?? Hopefully this can be resolved as the car isnt a joy to drive anymore. I do have a set of BE 18's coming so I might swap them over see what happens. Any ideas anyone.

I had a similar problem, where the car would start shaking when I went above 60mph. I was told it was not about the balancing, but due to the actual alloy not fitting correctly on the hub of the car. I got some spigot rings which solved the problem and now does not shake at all.

So did mines, but when you have the spigot rings fitted, you will notice a difference when you fit the alloys on.

This is from my experience, it could be something else maybe? Im sure other asn members will be able to shed some light.

Maybe the tyres aren't much use? What make/model are they? Were they new with the wheels?

I assume you've checked they're actually bolted on properly?

The same as above, had very fill your pants handing on my BMW when I fitted 18's, turned out to be the ****e china tyres that came with the alloys, as soon as I put good XL tyres on, order was restored :)

The tyres that are fitted are brand new Avon ZZ3's on the front and nearly new with 6mm on the back. Had my mate re-balance them today and give the wheels a once over........he uses one of the computerised balancing machines and not the older lights on lights off machine. Said they were spot on after re-balancing. Just doesn't feel right and I know something is up. Im a little confused about the spigot rings though......the bore of the wheel is the perfect fit for the diameter of the hub so I shouldn't need them should I ??? I hope I can get this sorted as if not then 18's back on and 19's binned.

Reactions: ilim
The spigot rings make the alloys fit on the hub nice and tight .,drop the tyre pressure 44 down a bit...

Last edited:
Try dropping tyre pressure down a good 6pi and try that fella I have mine nowhere near that high And the obvious that they are bolted on properly

can you post pics of both bores, you using spacers? i asume you e checked for any ovality

Will drop the pressures down to 36 front and 34 rear to see if that makes any difference....hopefully it will as I love these wheels but if its going to cause issues then a rethink needed. There seems to be afew conflicting views about correct tyre pressures for this size of wheel......In the last 2 days I've been told about 3 or 4 different values so I am going to do a little research on interweb. 225/35/ZR19 88Y

Im not using spacers as the wheels are ET44 which looks spot on and the wheels were checked for ovality yesterday and all spot on. My mate gave them a good going over and was quite happy with them.

Last edited:
the std pressure for fwd is like 34 & 32, the s3 is via autodata supposed to be 38 & 36, also worth pming rico over on vagoc he had the same rims lad he should be able to give you the number of the garage that fitted them and an idea of if they did anything extra

just hoping my 19's dont end up with the same story i should get a call from the depot tomorrow to arrange delivery :)

Your pressures being that high will have a big effect on what you're feeling, so hopefully if you've dropped them you will notice an improvement.

I run my 19's with 225/35/19 Assymetrico 2's at 39 front and 37 rear after some playing around ( that's on a S3 Sportback ) as 36/34 felt a bit too soft when pushing on.

I actually found it quite difficult to find the right pressures, but then remembered that the RS3 runs this size of tyre ( albeit on slightly narrower rims ) and is a very similar weight to my S3 and that runs 41F/40R so I took a couple of psi off to allow for the slightly lighter car and for me it works really well.

Just been to the garage and dropped the pressures down to 38F and 34R and its made a massive difference.....not perfect but a hell of alot better. The front end isnt skipping about as much and seems to be more stable over 70mph. Didnt think 6-7 psi would make much difference....how wrong was I. Cheers for all the comments peeps....greatly appreciated.

I've had a set of 18 bbs ch et 45 alloys fitted with 215 40 18 tyres which are Falken fk452 s it has 15 spacers on rear handr springs and it's a a3 tdi 57 plate since the change from my 17s to these the handlin has gone awful going around islands feel like the car is boaty and the tyres are flexing why is this help Pleasee dan startin to regret the change

Brodster, even with the reduced psi I'd check for spigot rings. If they're not there, then I'd suggest getting a set. As I said in PM, my CK's came with spigot rings in, having told the company what make and model of car they were going on. The last thing you need is a bolt snapping.

mine also came with spigot rings aswell.

The wheels already have steel spigot rings fitted so its not that then. I think it could be just down to tyre pressures. I will do more invest to see if I can nail it down. If not then 18" rotors it is.

WOW.....just got word back from Avon or Cooper tyres as theyre known. A major case of sloapy shoulders me thinks.

"Dear Mr Brodie
With regards to your email I should bring to your attention that Cooper Tires are a replacement tyre manufacturer and not an original equipment tyre supplier to Audi. Therefore, as in this instance we do not have full technical data on optional tyre size fitment and pressures approved by Audi.
Tyre inflation pressures are recommended by the vehicle manufacture after testing with the original equipment supplier. Regardless of manufacturer, if the tyres fitted are of the correct size, load and speed rating, the inflation pressure as indicated in the handbook or vehicle placard are to be employed."

Cheers for that.......:gun2:

The wheels already have steel spigot rings fitted so its not that then. I think it could be just down to tyre pressures. I will do more invest to see if I can nail it down. If not then 18" rotors it is.

Where u getting the Rotars from? Brodie dodgy deals!!!!!

Dunno where you get your dodgy Rotars from but I get my ROTORS from genuine suppliers......so get it right up ye!! :moa:

Hahaha really get me a set while ur at it!!!!