Problems with A3 2.0 TDI 140 helppppp!!!!

fchana786

Reaction score
Hi

Its been 2 months since i bought a 56 plate a3 2.0 tdi and ive just noticed that when i am in neutral the car vibrates. Took it to audi who could not find anything wrong with it. I have never ever had a diesel before and my S3 has never ever had any problems like this :(

What could be the problem ?

Thank you

Most probably the DMF is on the way out . Put the car in neutral and push the clutch pedal down, if the vibration stops the DMF is on the way out which is why the Audi dealer decided not to notice the problem.

Why would the dealer decide not to notice?

Is it covered on a re-call or something?

Whats wrong with a heavy single mass fly? Can it be fitted to a diesel? All I hear about is people saying how crap DMF's are and they always fail. I assume it's not just VAG that have issues with this?

Last edited:
Thanks for replies guys, would DMF be a big and costly job because my warranty just ran out 4 months ago :( my cars now just covered 50k miles and the vibrations getting worse and does get solved when the clutch is engaged so most probably is the DMF :(

You didnt expect Audi to find a problem with an Audi !!!LOL........ no fault code...no problem. I have an A3 that runs like a lawnmower but it has no fault code............so ya ********....official ! My car has done 40k and as far as Audi are concerned it might as well be a Nissan !!

Last edited:
I guess il be going to audi tomorrow and hope they can sort something out i just hope it doesnt cost something stupid :|

Kaz long time no speak, when you did your timing whilst doing IMF etc, do you remember the MB you checked for your timing, as I dont remember that being mentioned in your post way back, be good to see on here, thanks

I guess il be going to audi tomorrow and hope they can sort something out i just hope it doesnt cost something stupid :|
If your Audi needs to be worked on and it`s out of warranty DO NOT take it to and Audi dealer as you will get screwed over. Most good independent garages will be 25% cheaper then a dealer.

My local independent BMW garage charges £60 an hour, Audi will charge £150 an hour.....be warned.

Yeap I'd agree, if no warranty, go independent as the cost will skyrocket with audi.

Kaz long time no speak, when you did your timing whilst doing IMF etc, do you remember the MB you checked for your timing, as I dont remember that being mentioned in your post way back, be good to see on here, thanks

Hi fella!

Been busy fiddling with the new car but spotted N8KOW the other day on the motorway so decided to jump on here to see what you guys have been up to - Hope alls well!

The timing wasnt done with the IMF, it was done when the dealer accidentally stabbed the cambelt with a screwdriver. When he fitted the new cambelt, the timing torsion was out making it judder (I'll see if i can find the vid). In the end, i had to adjust the pulleys nearest to me the make the timing more advanced. I think tollerances were -2 to +2 nd mine was out.

I also fiddled with the idle speed a bit.

The threads on the topics are below and make a good read - there's also a few on this forum but the search function isnt working :S .

The Measuring block is in here if im right: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=215202 (may not be exact as i remember fidling for a while before i found it)

this threads handy-ish too: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=228579

idle speed: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/284735/1880448.aspx#1880448

if the idle speed doesnt help, then you need to do the cam torsion, This thread helps a lot in that: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/273493.aspx

The timing torsion in my case sorted it but i only had the car 2 days and then she sold - but she was miles better, smoother and less juddery at idle and even when driving felt better. I had my local mechanic do the torsion but it looked simple enough - just keep checking it vagcom so you get it in tolerances!

I dont have a car to check the torsion on and sold my vagcom but still have a copy version i got off a member which i think still works (terrymgc i think) and my mate has a mk5 golf so can check it if you still cant find it!

HTH mate!

Kaz when you adjusted the timing, beforehand did you have any starting issues?