Project B7 420-R: 2012 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech As Base Car.

I never set timescales

To be fair (and in Rob's defence) this thread was started a year ago and it seems other than the car (purchased 5 months ago) most stuff was already owned, plus that's only taking into account this thread and not the original b6 project thread which never came to be (years ago).

Fair play if it happens we would love for this and ambitious projects alike to come into fruition just hard to believe when we haven't seen anything yet.

Reactions: Daniel M
To be fair (and in Rob's defence) this thread was started a year ago and it seems other than the car (purchased 5 months ago) most stuff was already owned, plus that's only taking into account this thread and not the original b6 project thread which never came to be (years ago).

Fair play if it happens we would love for this and ambitious projects alike to come into fruition just hard to believe when we haven't seen anything yet.

But Mr. Nollywood (bit presumptuous, could be Ms, Miss or Mrs Nollywood!) said that he's bee working abroad and only home every other weekend. As I have done the same, there's not enough time at the weekend to do everything on Her Majesty's list, let alone open the garage doors!

C'mon, give the guy a break!

Reactions: AvantMike
Thank you, Pedro. You understand perfectly.

Happily, my contract abroad is over, Friday is my last day. I have booked a ferry crossing this time, as I have to bring back my tools, and a run about I purchased whilst I’ve been away.

Sailing to Holyhead on Friday night. Then a 5 hour drive to my home. My new contact is nights, 4 on and 4 off, so plenty of time with my kids, and the cars.

Jake, you don’t have to believe anything. Folk who know me well, know that my projects ALWAYS get completed.

Updates will be on Instagram.

Reactions: Mr Tidy
Hmmm, sounds like the offshore game - platforms of vessels?

It will be good to see the project crack on - things like this are inspirational to others.

M&E Global?

Going waaaaay off track here.

(See what I did there? )

Yesterday, I picked up my BCY engine, using my Avant.

It handled the 230kg weight with ease, though I was conscious of the extra drag. And I took corners with care - it’s all too easy to put a side window through.

67 miles later, the engine was unloaded into my storage unit. I’ll be doing the required maintenance - belts, water pump, rigid coolant pipe between oil cooler and block will be replaced with an aluminium BUFKIN version. The plastic original is prone to fracture, due to becoming brittle with heat cycles.

I will be replacing the stock BCY valve covers with BFM ones, after getting them painted in the car’s chosen colour. Coil packs will be replaced with R8 red coilpacks.

All that is currently required is an R&D B6/B7.

Pictures from yesterday, collecting the BCY motor:

312eKG3.jpg

C5xsO9K.jpg

R7EsHhP.jpg

hhPPgF0.jpg

cnDmZYm.jpg

l4qXCLc.jpg

2c4iYMD.jpg

kLW2Yuu.jpg

wD47wPT.jpg

xF7O7KM.jpg

Reactions: Sidrick
At last, I have managed to secure a 2002 B6 R&D car. It’s a Denim Blue 1.9 TDI PD 130 Sport Sedan.

This will form the basis of the test rig for my C5 RS6 engine install into my B7 Avant. I will remove the existing 1.9 TDI PD 130, and install my BCY motor. I’m not going to attempt wiring it up in the B6, to get it running. The purpose of the R&D car is solely to get the actual install buttoned up, in terms of the exhaust manifolds, and turbochargers clearing the transmission tunnel.

I’m picking up the car on the 27th. It’s a flight away, and a 5 hour / 300 mile drive back. Should be a fun road trip, as long as it doesn’t break down.

I'll drive it to you if it's close to me.

How does your seat boot open from the outside??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Knew you was going to say that. So if I go seat boot lid route, I'll not be able to get rid of the seat badge as it's a handle

Knew you was going to say that. So if I go seat boot lid route, I'll not be able to get rid of the seat badge as it's a handle

You could fill out the SEAT logo, making it more like a block rather than an “S”, and paint it satin black or colour matched to your car.

Or weld it over completely, then wire the micro switch to a dash mounted button, replacing one of the blanks above your head unit.

Of course, you still have the option of opening the boot / tailgate with the remote.

So after roasting a B5 RS4 clutch in a stock RS4 Avant, I have decided to go with a B7 RS4 clutch. This naturally means a new flywheel.

My original will be for sale, if anyone’s interested. It’s a TTV Racing single mass steel flywheel, for an 8-bolt crank. Never been used. I am going with a C5-specific flywheel this time, 10-bolt fitment, that accepts a B7 RS4 clutch. It comes in 2 weights - 5.6 and 9.0 kgs. I have opted for the 9.0 kg version.

My manifolds will be ready in the next 2 weeks. Thanks for being patient, and following this far.

I got my intercoolers pressure tested, and they’ve been given a clean bill of health.

So I got both painted in satin black paint. I’ve never liked silver intercoolers. Just waiting for my manifolds, and I’ve got to decide what spec I want the turbos to be built to.

Must support Stage 3.

2MBfNYU.jpg

UCWXbow.jpg

Reactions: Seanchadwick2k3 and Sidrick
So due to needing another car while my other “B7 Avant” is going through one of it’s phases, I pulled the trigger on a daily.

It’s a 2006 B7 A4 2.0T S-Line Quattro Avant. I’m curious to see how it stacks up against the 2013 B7 SEAT Exeo ST Sport Tech, in terms of handling and equipment.

We all love pictures, so here goes! I won’t have any more until tomorrow.

O4qvjU3.jpg

wp9IIF0.jpg

mixVckk.jpg

HFkRxUE.jpg

BMyM0bV.jpg

c9EOIMD.jpg

URL]

Z0hALek.jpg

hxk048L.jpg

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Looks ok

So after a long talk yesterday with a fellow Audi enthusiast, I now have a shop that is going to handle the bodywork side of project B7 420-R.

A lot of shops I approached, though they had excellent work, they were not Audi enthusiasts, or car enthusiasts either. They only wanted to do quick turnaround insurance jobs. It was also hard making them understand the concept of going OEM widebody on a B7 Avant.

With a VAG-based shop that handles a lot of Audi models, and is no stranger to blending in a C7 front end onto a C6 A6, it was easy to get the shop to understand what I’m trying to achieve. The owner actually took the time to send me a portfolio of jobs - before, during and completed projects.

I’m going to visit his shop next Saturday. I will be stripping down the car, delivering it with the B7 RS4 parts. And putting it all back together after the panelling and paintwork is done.

My newly-acquired 2006 B7 A4 2.0T Quattro Avant S-Line will take over daily duties. The Audi is an immaculate example, totally stock, and a candidate for a B7 RS4 widebody conversion, I have already begun to acquire parts for it. And I’m in negotiations with the purchase of an Audi, as an engine donor. More on that later!

c9EOIMD.jpg

WP0vEOB.jpg

Good news on the build then, one thing that does puzzle me a bit now is this.
You bought the Seat to become your special project car and the recent b7 to become your daily driver , but now you are also turning that into a project aswell.
Surely it would be better to channel rescources into the Seat project rather than start another project at the same time, not being picky chap but just seems like your getting a bit ahead of yourself , but hey, if it works then great but seems to being going around the houses .
Just my input.

good luck

Rob, I think you misunderstood me.

I’m acquiring parts for the Audi, while the SEAT is being done. I’m not tearing it down to actually start work on it.

As parts are not easy to come by, it makes sense to grab them as they become available. The engine in particular has not been installed in a B7 A4.

So once the SEAT is done, I’ll have all I need to start on the Audi.

So, next Saturday, I’m making an 8-hour round trip, to meet up with the shop owner who’s going to be handling B7 420-R.

Then we’re setting a date for the work to commence. My newly-acquired B7 A4 2.0T Quattro Avant will be taking the place of my SEAT as a daily in the meantime.

Despite the distance between my base and the shop, I’m going to be closely involved in the evolution of humble SEAT Exeo ST Sport Tech to wide and aggressive B7 420-R. I’m super excited to finally start. The bodywork side of things will officially mark the commencement of Phase 1 of my build.

I’ll be making arrangements to get my B7 RS4 Avant parts trucked down, along with my genuine B7 RS4 wheels.

Keep watching guys!

Reactions: Sam1989 and Sidrick
EPIC

I’m about 3 hours into my trip to the body shop. It’s almost 5 hours each way!

I finished the graveyard shift at work, and straight onto the road. I’m just having my second refreshment break.

So tired. Thank God for coffee!

I’m back home after a 533 mile round trip, to engage a shop that’s going to handle Phase 1 of B7 420-R’s build. OEM RS4 widebody, and bumpers.

The owner of the shop is a true VAG nut. I looked over some of his work whilst I was there, and the standard of workmanship is excellent. You can say he knows his ****.

And no, it’s not going to look like your regular B7 RS4 Avant, or a B7 RS4 clone / replica. There’s going to be a twist. You’re just going to have to wait and see what it is!

I’m picking up my newly purchased B7 A4 2.0T S-Line Avant on Monday. The SEAT Exeo ST will be delivered to the shop in the next few weeks.

I can’t wait to get Phase 1 done.

Reactions: Sidrick
Just wondering if this thread would be better in the project section.
Given it is such a big project and the results are going to be something special maybe moving it to the project section would be more appropriate.
Give it some bigger exposure than just in the B7 section.
It think its become more of a custom hybrid project car than a modded B7 now, albeit Seat format.

What do you think Chap.

Last edited:
Rob, I think that would be best. I was actually thinking of asking if it could be moved.

Will do Chap.
Don't forget to keep us upto speed with your B7 daily project in this section as it progresses.

will be watching both threads with keen interest.

rob

So due to needing another car while my other “B7 Avant” is going through one of it’s phases, I pulled the trigger on a daily.

It’s a 2006 B7 A4 2.0T S-Line Quattro Avant. I’m curious to see how it stacks up against the 2013 B7 SEAT Exeo ST Sport Tech, in terms of handling and equipment.

We all love pictures, so here goes! I won’t have any more until tomorrow.

O4qvjU3.jpg

wp9IIF0.jpg

mixVckk.jpg

HFkRxUE.jpg

BMyM0bV.jpg

c9EOIMD.jpg

URL]

Z0hALek.jpg

hxk048L.jpg
Yep piccy's are good and the more the better.
Nice looking daily aswell.
:thumbs up:

So yesterday, I picked up the Audi.

I drove it the 60-odd miles back. It didn’t take even 2 miles of driving to reaffirm my belief, that despite the cheaper MRSP and the non-Audi badge, the Spanish car trumps the German, both in handling and equipment levels.

The SEAT feels more nimble and composed on twisty roads, where the Audi feels cumbersome and unsettled in certain road conditions, at certain speeds. The 2.0T motor in stock form, despite its 200hp output, lacks the urgent punch the 2.0 CR TDI 170 has, despite the 30hp deficit.

I drove the Audi last night, and I’d forgotten just how poor the halogen non-projector headlamps were. Facelift B5 halogen projectors are like in a different league. I found myself toggling between main and dipped beams. With the SEAT, the BiXenon setup is out of this world.

Both cars are Sport models.

Audi A4 Avant 2.0T Quattro S-Aline.
SEAT Exeo ST 2.0 CR TDI 170 Sport Tech.

The Audi’s equipment level is pretty basic, compared to the SEAT. The only extra the Audi has over the SEAT, is a sunroof! It doesn’t even have a front arm rest.

The Audi has the following as extras:

- Electric lumbar support.
- Electric sunroof.
- Rear door blinds.

The SEAT has the following as extras:

- RNS-E.
- BOSE.
- Colour DIS.
- Full DIS (Highline).
- Front and rear PDC.
- BiXenon headlamps with AFS.
- Electric folding mirrors.
- Auto-dim interior mirror.
- Black sports heated leather interior.
- Front armrest.
- Headlamp wash.
- Auto headlamps.
- Coming / leaving home.
- Auto wipers.
- LED DRL’s.

The Audi has the following as standard:

- Audi Symphony I.

The SEAT has the following as standard:

- Bluetooth.
- MFSW.
- SDS.
- Cruise.
- Shift light.

Even the base Exeo, the 2.0 CR TDI 120 S has the same standard equipment, which is standard on the 2.0 CR TDI 170 Sport Tech.

The Audi needs a LOT of retrofits, to get it even close to the SEAT trim level, but I’m going to enjoy doing so. I won’t be making any big changes though, until at least Phase 1 is completed on the SEAT.

7qSioCn.jpg

A3Pq1se.jpg

reF4sHJ.jpg

6RyFH8F.jpg

Last edited: