Project MPG - Thought needed

deanogtv

Reaction score
Project MPG 2.5TDi Quattro

Heres the crack, I just purchase an 2002 2.5TDi Avant which I intend using for my 50 mile motorway daily commute. I totally understand that this engine is as efficent as smaller lumps. However I'm keen to get the most miles out of my hard earned cash hence the reason to enbark on project MPG. Thought I'd get your view on the following:
Optimumal crusing spped for best MPG in 6th gear??
Optimumal tyres pressures for best motorway crusing??
Are there any other factors which may help??
Tuning box??
Fuel addatives??
High grade desiel??? BP Ultimate??
The slightest gain in MPG will save be £££££ every year

Project MPG 2.5TDi Quattro

Heres the crack, I just purchase an 2002 2.5TDi Avant which I intend using for my 50 mile motorway daily commute. I totally understand that this engine is as efficent as smaller lumps. However I'm keen to get the most miles out of my hard earned cash hence the reason to enbark on project MPG. Thought I'd get your view on the following:
Optimumal crusing spped for best MPG in 6th gear??
Optimumal tyres pressures for best motorway crusing??
Are there any other factors which may help??
Tuning box??
Fuel addatives??
High grade desiel??? BP Ultimate??
The slightest gain in MPG will save be £££££ every year

Just drive it ***! :laugh:, and post some pics whilst you are at it!

OK, kidding aside, stick 32-34psi, you will generally get high mpg with a bit more tyre pressure, but it will effect your handling and maybe tyre wear. Optimum speed has to be 56mph or there abouts, 70mph is not the best speed for mpg, the faster you go, the more it will drink.

Last edited:
I'm sure the fuel addatives and higher grade diesel would ofset the MPG cost anyway making about the same!

I find that around 55-60 gives me the best MPGs
just be light on the loud pedal!
try not to use your brakes so coasting up to junctions/lights etc. light pull away. changing at 2k..
these are things i do to see the mpgs rise.
standard fuel no additives.
make sure the car is serviced aswell.
and keep the car light ie dont use the boot as a storage place for rubbish!

I love my 2.5q, but its an intriguing choice for an mpg challenge!

My DPT tuning box gave me a extra 2-3 mpg from the second I fitted it. As mentioned, a light throttle and change up by 2k would be my tips. As well as riding the ruts in lane 1 with the HGV's at 55mph. Have you got cruise?

Use Fuelly.com don't trust the DIS.

Not too sure if your 2.5 has the same tech as my 1.9 PD, but if you are going down a hill, just release the throttle and coast down it, it will cut the fuel off until your revs drop to 1200 or below I think?

Not too sure if your 2.5 has the same tech as my 1.9 PD, but if you are going down a hill, just release the throttle and coast down it, it will cut the fuel off until your revs drop to 1200 or below I think?

How do you know that? Is it on the A3 TDI as well? I've been coasting down every hill I've come across for two years in neutral:( Must have wasted a ****** fortune!

Lol that's in every injection car mate... A car should use no fuel on overrun. Hence why live mpg gauge doesn't show digits on overrun... My dads rav 4 just shows 999mpg when cruising downhill

You will use more fuel in neutral ha!

Anticipation is the key to mpg success, read the road as far ahead as safely possible. For example if your on a flat doing 50, and you see a red light or traffic 1/4 mile ahead, release the throttle and start slowing down using engine brake. It may seem obvious but some people don't read the road very far ahead

spot on sportstractor in gear coasting is best possible way to save fuel little footbrake as possible best thing for this is leave a distance between you and the person in front tailgateing causes exsesive fuel usage !! fact.... all that needs to be done is roll in gear up to islands, bends, t junctions, and read the traffic lights ahead if there on green get ready to ease off and stop if there on red ease off earlier and then hopefully keep the vehicle moving in motion try not to be heavy on the throttle on take off...

Definitely, iv had this argument with a short sighted friend who thinks its best to all drive close... The way I see it is to view traffic as a slinky spring lol... If the cars are close it's like the spring being fully compressed... Everybody has to stop, therefore losing momentum. But if everybody drives at a decent gap apart, then someone in front slow for whatever reason, the lose of speed is taken up in the gaps... And not everybody will need to come to a stop. Resulting in safer, stress free driving, with optimum economy...

If only we could educate the masses...