Purpur A4 B5 Restore Thread

pjw

Reaction score
I bought this A4 about a month ago from a young lad that had spent a fortune on it putting it through its last MOT. To be honest, i have no idea how it got through that MOT. In the last few weeks ive done repairs just to make it legal and roadworthy. Its a rare colour - even Audi dont stock a rattlecan for it - and before you say it is an Audi colour, LOB3.

The last owner replaced three calipers, the steering rack, one of the back axle bushes, and two tyres (and some other stuff). Think the MOT tester got bored and just put it through after he did this work on the 5th November.

Its also had a new windscreen sometime in the past.

81415903.jpg

I would like to know if anyone recognises it. Think it used to live in Perth or Ayr, not sure before that. I might get on DVLA and pay the £5 to get a history check done.

Eventual plan is to drop a 1.8t engine in. Ive started collecting parts for it, and it will probably happen in the spring. Depends if ive got money left after the alloy refurb.

96 Audi A4
1.6 ADP 8v
Lowered 50mm
19" RS6 Replicas
S4 Full Leathers
S4 Interior Trim
S4 Skirts
Sony XPlod Speakers/HU

The items on my todo list are:

Repair centre section - REPLACED
Repair wandering steering - N/S front upper arm replaced.
Repair knackered drivers lock - DONE
Blacken outer chrome of grille
Blacken outsides of front lights
Repaint skirts
Fit remote central locking
Wheel refurb
Secure sparewheel - REPLACED, £1 off Ebay!
Repair ABS fault - Sensor replaced, reluctor ring needs buying.
Service - Rotor Arm, Dizzy cap, timing belt in hand. Plugs done.
Fit S4 steering wheel
Fit CarPC
Various bits of touchup
Clean heated washer jets
Get an Audi owners manual
Repair N/S back axle bush

Work done today 22/12/10
Temp: -10

The chrome outer trim was missing out of the lock barrel on the drivers door, and looked ****. I was worried id have to change the whole lockset, but as its the same as a VW design you can actually buy a service kit for your locks if they become warn for £40, so i figured i could just get another lock, and swap the brass slides over. Paid £7 delivered for a lock with no key off ebay, some photos from the job:

image1vj.jpg

image2pl.jpg

image3lu.jpg

image4g.jpg

image5qb.jpg

image6at.jpg

image7nu.jpg

image8i.jpg

image10ch.jpg

image11r.jpg

image13a.jpg

image14rv.jpg

image15hc.jpg

image16vj.jpg

You can see that mine had snapped halfway, loosing me some of my slides. I reckon someone had tried to get into it with a screwdriver, snapped the outer half of the barrel and failed. After some fettling of spares i had i managed to remake the lock properly and refit it to the car. Easy job, but ill be replacing the circlip and the doorcards not on yet, too cold.

Last edited:
Nice one mate, rare colour that, I've only ever seen them in Germany before and thought they were resprays, It looks the same colour as Aragorns Avant but may well be different. Good work with the lock, you must have been a thief in a previous life lol. If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it?

The car itself? I actually swapped it for a car i had previously, an MGZR, which was far too small for my liking. I really don't even know what its worth. I know its an odd colour - you should try getting paint for it! Id love to do more touching up but im going to wait until the spring, as the only supplier i have lists it at £20 a can or £10 a scratch repair kit.

Its nice in the sunlight, pearlescent. Audi dont believe me when i phone them with the code, even when i drove to Glasgow Audi they told me it was a repsray until i got one of their reps to look in the boot.

Looking good, really like the colour. Some facelift rear lights would go well.

I no that car, used to kick about ayrshire,guy from ayr owned it im sure.