Put the car in the signature?

Geraldy212

Sportback owner
Reaction score
One of the frustrations I face on the forum is not knowing details of the car when reading the posts. It would really be a good idea to add the details of the car (engine, year, model etc) in the poster's signature. Then when we read the post, we can quickly relate to the issue at hand, and possibly reply immediately with some helpful tips. So many times I have seen members having to reply with the question...well what car is it then? OK, so rant over, but I do think it would help. :yum:

Very good suggestion. :) x

Yes often I ask for this & even at times I get shxt for it aswell, asking for logs of the cars aswell when having a vcds issue, I get shxt for asking that aswell, cant win & tbh sick/tired of this attitude, you come on here for help, you dont get shxtty with the people that are trying to help you, its disrespectful & will not get you help going forward!!!

Yes often I ask for this & even at times I get shxt for it aswell, asking for logs of the cars aswell when having a vcds issue, I get shxt for asking that aswell, cant win & tbh sick/tired of this attitude, you come on here for help, you dont get shxtty with the people that are trying to help you, its disrespectful & will not get you help going forward!!!

Does that mean you agree with the suggestion Nige ?

I do, and have just added my ( pathetic but sufficient I think ) details ! :icon_thumright:

Does that mean you agree with the suggestion Nige?

I'll let you work that one out lmao

Butttttt, I do find people change there cars without uopdating sig & also talk about families, friends etc cars which makes the sig idea obsolete, but yes its part way forward.

I just think it should be defacto they just tell us the cars info in the 1st line of text before anything else, that way no confusion with sig etc.

Here Here, well said.

Ok guys, I will speak to admin if we could set something up in the registration process for all new members, as for existing members, that will require something else. :) x

Ok guys, I will speak to admin if we could set something up in the registration process for all new members, as for existing members, that will require something else. :) x

Sandra, maybe the easiest way would be to make it a requirement when posting a thread ?

That way it would cover new and existing members would it not ? xx

Sandra, maybe the easiest way would be to make it a requirement when posting a thread ?

That way it would cover new and existing members would it not ? xx

That would sure cover all existing members Mike. Thanks. :) xx

Dont make it default for a post.... or every post any one makes is going to need car info filled out ? Regardless of the post content.

But yes, its annoying when people dont specify details.

A bit like asking for stuff, and not having a location set...

Posts with specific questions relating to a particular car/engine/year/model cannot expect an answer without the necessary details.

I have ETKA and regularly use it to help members but sometimes the detail required by ETKA to answer the query is way in excess of the information provided by the OP.

A modicum of common sense is required to phrase a question in such a way to enable an answer. Unfortunately not all owners realise what PR numbers are and how they relate to the information required.

ROM, if you needed certain info. from ETKA then I would probably need to ask you whether it was DSG or manual ! ( just about to change my info !! lol )

But yes, its annoying when people dont specify details.

A bit like asking for stuff, and not having a location set...
I think it's a given that car details should be mandatory on any OP in the Tech forums, but draw the line with accurate location details on a public forum! anyone can see not only what car you have, but also the mods you've done - insurance declared or not - which might enhance the desirability to potential thieves.

I don't mind posting that I'm in Herts, but I don't want the world & his wife to know where or how I park my car ...have to leave the crooks a little leg work to do. :thumbsup:

Hey Nigel, I doubt you'd know how to describe that car of yours if you were ever to sell it. i.e: what year is it? = :think: all of em. lol

I think it's a given that car details should be mandatory on any OP in the Tech forums, but draw the line with accurate location details on a public forum! anyone can see not only what car you have, but also the mods you've done - insurance declared or not - which might enhance the desirability to potential thieves.

I don't mind posting that I'm in Herts, but I don't want the world & his wife to know where or how I park my car ...have to leave the crooks a little leg work to do. :thumbsup:

Hey Nigel, I doubt you'd know how to describe that car of yours if you were ever to sell it. i.e: what year is it? = :think: all of em. lol

I don't mean your house number and postcode ;)
But when people ask 'can anyone do this for me' or 'can anyone recommend a place to' or 'can anyone lend me'
They could at least post their rough location, Bristol, London, etc.

I use tapatalk a lot too, we don't see sigs, but ours still show for others not on tapatalk.