Q3 Climate Control 8P Retrofit

Working on my A3 2007 Prerestyling unit
Man, you've got all the mods I dream about having! Looks fantastic, MarioAmazin! I have a 2008 US model (pre-faclift) 3.2...will that RSQ3 unit work 100% in my car? Also, your steering wheel, what buttons work and don't work? I'd love to have a new FBSW with round airbag, but I've read it's not fully functional??

So I read in a lot of places that if you put facelift hvac unit in early 8p model, it wont work. Today I tested fl hvac (from 2010 model) on my 2004-12 model and ac works as it should... Did someone try it and it did not work, or why everyone say it does not work?

If you have a
So I read in a lot of places that if you put facelift hvac unit in early 8p model, it wont work. Today I tested fl hvac (from 2010 model) on my 2004-12 model and ac works as it should... Did someone try it and it did not work, or why everyone say it does not work?

Which year is your car, it will present as working but it isn't fully due to change in motors & a plastic cam system in place of a motor, so once you change the direction of air it will show the issue.

It doesn't work on older cars, I can guarantee that as I researched every single part & wiring at the time.

To work on facelift units, parts need changing, so dash out job.

If you have a

Which year is your car, it will present as working but it isn't fully due to change in motors & a plastic cam system in place of a motor, so once you change the direction of air it will show the issue.

It doesn't work on older cars, I can guarantee that as I researched every single part & wiring at the time.

To work on facelift units, parts need changing, so dash out job.
As I commented, It is 2004/12 model. I tested it with ac on on low with recirculation on and it blows cold air. What should not work exactly?

So it's a Dec 04.

Test it all & you'll understand.

The 2 motors controlled the main fan flaps behind the glovebox between recirc internal air & external air, on your car there are 2 motors that control each flap front & rear, on newer cars, 1 motor is removed, no wiring to control that motor is there's this is replaced with a plastic cam system controlled by the motor fitted, now as you don't have the cam system & the facelift climate unit doesnt have the 2nd motor wiring or control, so therefore your motor, flap doesn't move back forth with the newer unit.

Only way to use the complete climate unit is to upgrade the heater unit with parts to cater for the changes.

I'm doing this at some point to a few cars.

So it's a Dec 04.

Test it all & you'll understand.

The 2 motors controlled the main fan flaps behind the glovebox between recirc internal air & external air, on your car there are 2 motors that control each flap front & rear, on newer cars, 1 motor is removed, no wiring to control that motor is there's this is replaced with a plastic cam system controlled by the motor fitted, now as you don't have the cam system & the facelift climate unit doesnt have the 2nd motor wiring or control, so therefore your motor, flap doesn't move back forth with the newer unit.

Only way to use the complete climate unit is to upgrade the heater unit with parts to cater for the changes.

I'm doing this at some point to a few cars.
So Today I had a bit more time and tested it a bit more. As I said last time, it blows cold air fine but I don't know how it blew last time with recirculation on, this time if i turn on recirculation, no air comes to the cabin, it seems that if you turn on heat it does not blow as strong as when it is turned to low temperature. I will have to look for older slim hvac, hopefully the will exchange for facelift one.
In summary, I have to retract my statement that it works good, and you all were correct.

Reactions: samuelh_888 and NHN
Every day's a school day for us all bud.

Here is my contribution to the RSQ3 climate control unit

In case people are wondering:
Part number: 8U0820043G
You need to file off about 2.5mm from each side. I suggest you use some tape to trace the outlines and compare heights with the original unit.

Another tip is to remove one of the side handles (see steps 5.2 through 5.4 here). This way you can easily remove and place the unit without damaging the handles when trying to fit. It seems like many people skip this and remove the climate control unit by removing the mid-trim with the coin tray. I tried it as well, but on my vehicle, the coin tray section is fixed on a frame behind the dash and doesn't come out as a unit that looks like a big chocolate bar.

I really wouldn't do this again, unless I have the proper tools. A file will do the job fine, but doing this job from start to finish cost me roughly 2-3 hours.
Can't wait to remove the center console to fit the telephone and heated seat cables :gun:

A bit odd that the lights on the dials aren't bright. Any idea if this is a VCDS thing? The unit I bought was basically brand new, with less than 1k km.

Attachments

• PXL_20210501_141206380.jpg
    PXL_20210501_141206380.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 306
  • PXL_20210501_141219349.jpg
    PXL_20210501_141219349.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 464
Reactions: GTz
Is the only issue the re-circ one? Otherwise it’s shave, plug and play?

what about the change from econ to a/c. Does the light show on when the a/c is off on a pre-fl?

Shave the sides and reprogram 08-HVAC (Adaptation-10) channel 26 to 55 (degrees C) if you have heated seats.

Reactions: R0cket
what about the change from econ to a/c. Does the light show on when the a/c is off on a pre-fl?
I can't say. I've only read that the facelift models aren't 1 to 1 compatible with the prefacelift models, you'd need an adapter harness for that. I can't say anything regarding the functionality either, as I own a facelift model vehicle.

@FPSUsername Seems to me like the brightness of the dials is okay. Even the stock unit has low brightness on dials when you have even a bit of daylight coming in. Compare it to your headlight dial, i belive its gonna be the same story there.

Also, on the side note, kinda jelaous you folk are able to find these units, i cant source one anywhere, and some ebay units are batshit crazy with the prices...

@FPSUsername Seems to me like the brightness of the dials is okay. Even the stock unit has low brightness on dials when you have even a bit of daylight coming in. Compare it to your headlight dial, i belive its gonna be the same story there.

Also, on the side note, kinda jelaous you folk are able to find these units, i cant source one anywhere, and some ebay units are batshit crazy with the prices...
Yeah, it's dim because it's tied to the dash lights. I drove through a tunnel earlier today and they're as bright as they should be (comparable to the other leds and the rns-e leds).

I bought mine from a store in my country (bm-parts) for 175 euro. Ebay has them listed at 185-230 euro.
You can get the Q3 unit for cheaper at around 100-150 euro, but the RSQ3 unit is an actual upgrade rather than going from red to white backlight.
I do highly recommend to check out local car stores that sell used parts first. eBay takes a cut of sold items and the international shipping is often expensive (especially parts from the UK, now that they're out of the EU).

For me it's actually worth doing, as I had to swap it out anyway for heated seats. Why not go with the better one :p
I was in luck as well with the RNS-E unit. I found this 193J for 250 euro and sold my 192 unit (including sd cards and maps) for the same price. Free upgrade :)

Last edited:
175 is a fair price for unit thats mint-like condition. Ebay ones are all scuffed and scratched for way more lol.
And yeah, i dont think Q3 is worth the price as it doesnt offer much besides color, the rsq3 unit is hella nice :D GOnna have to check with your store if they willing to ship internationally :p

Yes, mine was advertised as a 25km unit. They had other units with 1500km and some with 3000km. It was brand new apart from two metal clips missing, but I sourced those from my old unit. I guess they had luck with a crashed vehicle, or it was mis fitted.

I think the Q3 is only worth it if you want white backlight on a budget when you need the upgrade for heated seats. Then you have the choice of either red or white. RSQ3 is a luxury upgrade, totally worth it.

What year is the FL RsQ3 as the 1 i have in mine just came from a Q3 2012 model and its exactly the same as the 1 pictured on post

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Mine was from a 2016 RSQ3. Only the RSQ3 variant has nicer dials and a wider window (on top of the display). The other one is from the Q3 (which is basically the same as the A3 variant but with a white backlight).

The only thing that doesn't make sense is why Audi chose to use "Max" and "Rear" for the RSQ3 and not "Front" and "Rear" like the Q3. Makes more sense that way.
Here are two more pictures in the dark. I put the dash brightness to the lowest (helps with pictures).

Attachments

• PXL_20210502_201713351.jpg
    PXL_20210502_201713351.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 313
  • PXL_20210502_201721301.jpg
    PXL_20210502_201721301.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 248
Reactions: theViTALiTY
Mine was from a 2016 RSQ3. Only the RSQ3 variant has nicer dials and a wider window (on top of the display). The other one is from the Q3 (which is basically the same as the A3 variant but with a white backlight).

The only thing that doesn't make sense is why Audi chose to use "Max" and "Rear" for the RSQ3 and not "Front" and "Rear" like the Q3. Makes more sense that way.
Here are two more pictures in the dark. I put the dash brightness to the lowest (helps with pictures).
Will need to check mine again tomorrow

thats not the case.

the parts numbers for the rsq3 and q3 climate controls are exactly the same, no differentiation.

check out these 2 cars for sale. the 2016 q3 tdi has the newer style climate, the 2014 rsq3 has the older 8p style climate.

dont have access to etka right this second, but from memory i believe the change in climate design happened around 2015.
the reason for the confusion i believe is that the rsq3 came out later than the regular q3, 2013, so most of the rsq3 would have had the newer style.
but they are not rsq3 unique climate controls. it would be like saying you have s3 8p taillights- they are the same as regular a3 taillights.

Reactions: ch1z64 and FPSUsername
Pre mid 07 cars arent compatible, its not a harness issue, its a hardware issue.

2 motors became 1 with a cam system to replace the 2nd motor.

Also & irrelevant, the dash vent temp sensors became irrelevant, connected it not, they serve no purpose onwards.

@NHN
All i can say is i have checked my CC ( 2012 Q3 ) and it is no different from the RSq3 , as to earlier models u are god as thats u thing . Samisnake i love u

I think there's been a miscommunication, I'm referring to purely 8p compatibility, not Q3 etc.

Hello everybody,

Thank you for all these sharing which encouraged me to buy a q3 facelift climatronic :)
Reference : 8U0820043J

But I have an issue, everything works except the AC, when I press the button the red led immediately disappears therefore AC doesn’t work..

I think I need to configure it by VCDS but I don’t know how, can someone help me ? :(

For info my car is an Audi S3 8p Sportback facelift 2009 model

Thanks a lot !

Attachments

• B53B9F60-73DF-414E-B602-8F59B892F18B.jpeg
    B53B9F60-73DF-414E-B602-8F59B892F18B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 246
Last edited:
That's weird. The only coding you should do is the adaptation for the level 3 heated seats and turn that down to 55. You can then play with 1 and 2 to fit your needs.

Did you check with VCDS if you get any errors? Try to clear them, often the car generates tons of errors if you replug modules without unplugging the battery, locking out features.

Reactions: Liljo
Hello everybody,

Thank you for all these sharing which encouraged me to buy a q3 facelift climatronic :)
Reference : 8U0820043J

But I have an issue, everything works except the AC, when I press the button the red led immediately disappears therefore AC doesn’t work..

I think I need to configure it by VCDS but I don’t know how, can someone help me ? :(

For info my car is an Audi S3 8p Sportback facelift 2009 model

Thanks a lot !
What i noticed in this post that thr part number mostly used ended with a G not a J

Reactions: Liljo
It works perfectly now thanks :)
I just did an adaption on 04 basic setting and I also amended the value for heated seats

edit : my new interior

Attachments

• E3B64D6C-4C2C-4998-A1DB-AE8B2DC481E1.jpeg
    E3B64D6C-4C2C-4998-A1DB-AE8B2DC481E1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Reactions: curtis92, TheMightyBK and ch1z64
Will I be able to retrofit this onto a pre-facelift 8Pa 57 plate (2008) with heated seats?

Last edited:
Remove your glovebox & check if your heater motor has an orange cam plastic system fitted, if so then yes.

You'll need a heated seats version & coding.

I have one for sale, not cheap but way below Audi price.

Reactions: nade
Remove your glovebox & check if your heater motor has an orange cam plastic system fitted, if so then yes.

You'll need a heated seats version & coding.

I have one for sale, not cheap but way below Audi price.
Could you pm with the price mate? It doesn't let me pm anyone, cheers.