Q5 Q5 2.0 tdi oil pump drive

Ian Andrews

Reaction score
Hi.
My 1st post as a new member :grinning:

I'm looking at getting a Q5 2.0 tdi but have read about the oil pump drive failure on some of these engines and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the earlier q5's were affected..?

The info I've read so far suggests that anything built before Feb 2010 could have the weaker 77mm hexagonal drive that is prone to failing. Can it be determined by engine or chassis number..?

Any help or advice much appreciated :thumbs up:

If you email KMB Parts Direct via eBay (a firm that makes an amended part) with your VIN, they can tell you if your engine has the later 100mm (solid) part. As you probably know, this shaft part evolved over time - originally being 77mm hollow (pre-2007), 77m solid/hardened and finally 100mm - the latter having now been in service for 9-years across millions of cars in the VAG range - and I am not personally aware of failures.

I suspect this issue is rather like the Porsche flat six engines IMS bearing - around 4% failure rate - but reading internet forums one is left with the impression that all Porsche engines are teetering on the brink of self-destruction. :glee:

Hi Retroman.
Thanks for your reply.
I rang KMB earlier and left a message. I haven't bought a Q5 yet but have my eye on a 2009 model so will need to contact them and ask for the vin.
I know what you mean about googling faults, you generally only hear about the failures and it can seem like doom and gloom :confusion:

The 77mm such is it's design the only explanation is it was engineered to fail.

They won't admit to a problem with it, even though it's been redesigned to be stronger, due to what it would've cost them to recall and repair
They just expect their customers to pay for it while they make even more money on parts and labour ☹

That's bizarre..! I wonder why just there and how can they justify recalling in that country and nowhere else.