Q5 Q5 Sportback

I think in everyday driving I would rather have an X3 M40i than an X3M, its noticeable a few on the BMW forum who got them in the mega cheap finance deals last year have bailed quickly, and I know many who got the last of the M5 base cars at silly prices like I did have already got rid. To be honest, with the traffic, speed cameras and **** state of the roads, 265hp is probably all you really need... and the son in laws M340i is a fab car, refined, comfortable, plenty fast enough...

I think I was swayed by the looks...
RS4 collection
RS4 collection 2
RS4 collection 3

Reactions: FBF01
Nice images...reminds me of the mine.

When I deviated to the RS4 I discovered that fast and fabulous handling don't make for a fun car - there has to be something else. For me, it was the bonkers character of the 5 pot RS engine, single turbo, off-boost and its civilised, on-boost its nuts and of course the sound - there is pleasure to be had under the legal limit.

Well quote back on an SQ5, looking promising! Be normal model with 21” wheels, black and pan roof. Awaiting the 2 X3 m40i offers still to come in. Suspecting they will come in cheaper

I think in everyday driving I would rather have an X3 M40i than an X3M, its noticeable a few on the BMW forum who got them in the mega cheap finance deals last year have bailed quickly, and I know many who got the last of the M5 base cars at silly prices like I did have already got rid. To be honest, with the traffic, speed cameras and **** state of the roads, 265hp is probably all you really need... and the son in laws M340i is a fab car, refined, comfortable, plenty fast enough...

I think I was swayed by the looks...
View attachment 216676 View attachment 216677 View attachment 216678

Beautiful motor

Reactions: isleaiw
Well a deal on an X3 M40i with pan roof, M sport pro pack and galvanic controls in Black sapphire is close to being agreed

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I had an M5 before the RS4. M BMWs are in my experience a lot more "raw racer" for the road than the RS Audis..... the M5 would down change for a junction and be in the meat of the powerband ready for me to race off, even when I was only pottering and in comfort mode... whereas my RS4 feels much like my SQ5 when I am in potter mode.

Great cars, but you should drive one before you buy and make sure it suits you. X3M very stiff and so low speed ride can be a bit crashy I am told.

@NevMan had an X3 M40i so would be well placed to advise, and my son in law has an M340iT which has a very practical boot and drives brilliantly. And not far off being as quick as my RS4, certainly at legal speeds its as quick.

RS6 sounds nice - too big and expensive for me, I found my M5 was too big on country roads really. And had a bit of a drink problem.....!

Loved my X3 M40i. As others have said definitely worth a test drive. Very much a sweet spot it seems (not just me saying this). X3M is a beast but a very hard drive but you can get deals as you have seen.

Shout (PM) if you want details for a contact at Cotswold BMW (Sales Manager), he has done some cracking deals in the past. I got a £53k spec X3 M40i for £42k, but this was mid 2019

95a259b58da35c8fd61c54d658fb12d1.jpg

cd674baf9cfa3660fde281b84992a540.jpg

Reactions: Audi Bairn and FBF01
And just to add, I had a 2018 Q5 2.0 TFSI (252) before the M40i, couldn’t fault it and it was fairly rapid but I found it dull. The straight six B58 is one heck of a motor. And I took mine to PCW for a backbox mod

Reactions: Audi Bairn and FBF01
Loved my X3 M40i. As others have said definitely worth a test drive. Very much a sweet spot it seems (not just me saying this). X3M is a beast but a very hard drive but you can get deals as you have seen.

Shout (PM) if you want details for a contact at Cotswold BMW (Sales Manager), he has done some cracking deals in the past. I got a £53k spec X3 M40i for £42k, but this was mid 2019

95a259b58da35c8fd61c54d658fb12d1.jpg

cd674baf9cfa3660fde281b84992a540.jpg

lovely motor, and pan roof as well I see, very nice! So have you now sold this, if so why may I ask? Is that black sapphire also?

What’s put me 100% Off the X3M C is the possibility of 19mpg lol. I mean my long term average is 25 in the RS3, bad enough, but I don’t think I could stomach 19 lol. Plus, Joe Achilles on YouTube had a video comparing the 2 and both agreed the X3 M40 was the better all rounder. I mean surely it’s fast enough! Even a remap and an exhaust tweak, maybe even a wee AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, would all that I’d be after.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
And just to add, I had a 2018 Q5 2.0 TFSI (252) before the M40i, couldn’t fault it and it was fairly rapid but I found it dull. The straight six B58 is one heck of a motor. And I took mine to PCW for a backbox mod

Wow does that sound good. Bet that was incredible on the move and through tunnels ha

lovely motor, and pan roof as well I see, very nice! So have you now sold this, if so why may I ask? Is that black sapphire also?

What’s put me 100% Off the X3M C is the possibility of 19mpg lol. I mean my long term average is 25 in the RS3, bad enough, but I don’t think I could stomach 19 lol. Plus, Joe Achilles on YouTube had a video comparing the 2 and both agreed the X3 M40 was the better all rounder. I mean surely it’s fast enough! Even a remap and an exhaust tweak, maybe even a wee AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, would all that I’d be after.

Yes sold, to fund a new kitchen and related building works, been going on
For 8 weeks, about 2 left

Carbon Black it was, with pano, m sport + pack, folding mirrors, hk sound and a couple other.

Yes, sounded lovely but no drone, and equally could have done res delete etc, but wanted it sound like it should have pre OPF.

Yep, 19 mpg is hectic, mine averaged mid to late 20’s, but a decent run well over mid to late 30’s

Reactions: Audi Bairn

0-62 something like 4.8 nowadays so goodness knows what you would
Get it down to with stage1 and a tweak or two

Well a deal on an X3 M40i with pan roof, M sport pro pack and galvanic controls in Black sapphire is close to being agreed

Great choice, I think that will make you happier than the Q5 SB 45, to be honest.

Reactions: NevMan and FBF01
I have messaged John Clark as well as Eastern Western re the BM and will see what comes back. As you say TRL ain’t the be all and end all, but quite keen to see what he offers. I do like the idea of the X3 M40i, stage 1 map will give me all that I need alongside the noise that it offers.

I’d rather be in an RS or M model but we’ll see what happens.

I changed my X3 M40i for a Q3 45 Edition 1 about 4 weeks ago.
The BMW is a very nice car, the highlights being the 3 lite straight 6 engine and 8 speed quaife box. It sounds fabulous and covers the ground very quickly when required but can also be a comfortable cruiser. As stated above most of the reviews prefer the M40i to the more hardcore X3m for this reason. Best to look for cars with the MSport +, technology and comfort packs as that gives you a pretty high specced car.
The X3 is considerably bigger than the Q3 especially interior space and one of the reasons for me changing was to get something a bit smaller. In the M40i I was getting about 16mpg in town driving and mid/high 20's on a long run if taking it very easy but that was difficult as it was such an enjoyable car to drive that I usually ended up pushing on a bit so low 20's mpg. It's not a cheap car to run but I would really recommend a test drive as going by what you are looking for as the M40i will tick a lot of the boxes for you.
Going by the dealers you have contacted have you tried Peter Vardy in Edinburgh? I've bought from them before and found them ok to deal with. They also had a well specced M40i on sale earlier this week with under 1000 miles on the clock at a pretty good price.
Good luck with your search

0-62 something like 4.8 nowadays so goodness knows what you would
Get it down to with stage1 and a tweak or two

yeh, stage 1 with an exhaust tweak will surely please me and not let me dwell over the sad loss of my beloved RS3 lol. Stage 1 with a down pipe would be superb. Love how with BMW you can add m performance parts.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and 8YARWY
Great choice, I think that will make you happier than the Q5 SB 45, to be honest.

let’s hope so! Will play one salesman off with the other tomorrow for the best deal. Almost there! Feel happier about cancelling my Q5 order, lovely car for sure, but just not quite right for me.

Reactions: NevMan
I changed my X3 M40i for a Q3 45 Edition 1 about 4 weeks ago.
The BMW is a very nice car, the highlights being the 3 lite straight 6 engine and 8 speed quaife box. It sounds fabulous and covers the ground very quickly when required but can also be a comfortable cruiser. As stated above most of the reviews prefer the M40i to the more hardcore X3m for this reason. Best to look for cars with the MSport +, technology and comfort packs as that gives you a pretty high specced car.
The X3 is considerably bigger than the Q3 especially interior space and one of the reasons for me changing was to get something a bit smaller. In the M40i I was getting about 16mpg in town driving and mid/high 20's on a long run if taking it very easy but that was difficult as it was such an enjoyable car to drive that I usually ended up pushing on a bit so low 20's mpg. It's not a cheap car to run but I would really recommend a test drive as going by what you are looking for as the M40i will tick a lot of the boxes for you.
Going by the dealers you have contacted have you tried Peter Vardy in Edinburgh? I've bought from them before and found them ok to deal with. They also had a well specced M40i on sale earlier this week with under 1000 miles on the clock at a pretty good price.
Good luck with your search

They are in pole position so far, the chap who I’ve spoken to, Derek I’m sure his name is, seems a nice guy and with being local, suits me to a tee. I was told to speak with Harry Fairbairn In Glasgow, Arnold Clark essentially, as believe they pretty much can’t be touched for their incredible offers. It’s a case of don’t ask don’t get.

Your review above is great to hear, makes me feel like it’s fitting my criteria pretty well. I mean the mpg at the moments sits well with me, if I could get close on 30 I’d be chuffed. However, it’s not fuel economy that’s forcing the change, it’s the size. From the measurements, it’s a pretty sizeable car.

Yes sold, to fund a new kitchen and related building works, been going on
For 8 weeks, about 2 left

Carbon Black it was, with pano, m sport + pack, folding mirrors, hk sound and a couple other.

Yes, sounded lovely but no drone, and equally could have done res delete etc, but wanted it sound like it should have pre OPF.

Yep, 19 mpg is hectic, mine averaged mid to late 20’s, but a decent run well over mid to late 30’s

I was sure that folding mirrors came as standard, or maybe they do with the options I have selected. Appears that way but I will confirm tomorrow. More than likely opt for the red callipers also, well aware not everyone’s cup of tea, but like the look of it on the configurator

let’s hope so! Will play one salesman off with the other tomorrow for the best deal. Almost there! Feel happier about cancelling my Q5 order, lovely car for sure, but just not quite right for me.

Fingers crossed, keep us informed

I was sure that folding mirrors came as standard, or maybe they do with the options I have selected. Appears that way but I will confirm tomorrow. More than likely opt for the red callipers also, well aware not everyone’s cup of tea, but like the look of it on the configurator

Yes, they do come as standard now, but not when I bought. Also the packs have changed slightly so you get the very nice seats in the plus pack, but costs more now than when I got it. I should have also gone tech pack, the HUD is AWESOME!!!

Good luck, great time to negotiate I reckon

Agree, the red calipers do look good and will look even better with your colour choice

Deal done with Peter Vardy Edinburgh :icon thumright:

Great offer. PX offer was strong as well. Can’t wait. Expected June

Sounds good. Sure you wont be disappointed with it.

Reactions: NevMan and FBF01
I mean, if the order is still changeable, we can have a go at a few more bits....

HUD is good if you like that sort of thing..... you need HK, shame you cant get something a bit better to be honest..... I'm assuming adaptive damping is included, and the upgraded bigger wheels, what about 360 degree cameras, wouldnt be without those.... merino leather is definitely closer to the nappa in Audis than the standard stuff...... everyone needs a heated wheel if they havent got a flat bottomed one, and heated rear seats would be ideal for when the back seat has an adult sat with the little one....

And are you sure about BSM v Carbon black?

NEVER come on a forum for new car advice, you end up with an RS4 and not a V60.... ;)

Sweet! Spec?

Black Sapphire Paint
Pan roof £1190
Carbon interior trim £600
M Sport Plus pack £2400
Galvanic controls £110

Mods planned, yes already thought out lol

Lowering springs and spacers
AC Schnitzer spoiler
AutoID gloss black competition front lip
AutoID carbon fibre/alcantara steering wheel trim
AutoID carbon mirrors and shark fin
Stage 1 map, boot mod by all accounts or MRC
voila! Ha

I mean, if the order is still changeable, we can have a go at a few more bits....

HUD is good if you like that sort of thing..... you need HK, shame you cant get something a bit better to be honest..... I'm assuming adaptive damping is included, and the upgraded bigger wheels, what about 360 degree cameras, wouldnt be without those.... merino leather is definitely closer to the nappa in Audis than the standard stuff...... everyone needs a heated wheel if they havent got a flat bottomed one, and heated rear seats would be ideal for when the back seat has an adult sat with the little one....

And are you sure about BSM v Carbon black?

NEVER come on a forum for new car advice, you end up with an RS4 and not a V60.... ;)

HUD supposedly doesn’t work if your wearing sunglasses. Unsure if this is BS or not. Yes, bigger wheels and adaptive damping within the M sport plus pack :friendly wink: A heated steering wheel to me is absolutely pointless ha, I mean might feel nice for ten seconds but sweaty hands and leather, no deal.

I prefer black sapphire, it’s very, well black lol. Carbon has a bluey/purple tinge to it, not really for me.

Ha, well I am super impulsive with spec, but I have the must have in my opinion. Comes with the sport seats, defo look the part, as good as the SSS in my car, maybe not.

Have the option to test drive one over the next week so will have to organise that.

Reactions: BigBill, isleaiw and NevMan
HUD supposedly doesn’t work if your wearing sunglasses. Unsure if this is BS or not. Yes, bigger wheels and adaptive damping within the M sport plus pack :friendly wink: A heated steering wheel to me is absolutely pointless ha, I mean might feel nice for ten seconds but sweaty hands and leather, no deal.

I prefer black sapphire, it’s very, well black lol. Carbon has a bluey/purple tinge to it, not really for me.

Ha, well I am super impulsive with spec, but I have the must have in my opinion. Comes with the sport seats, defo look the part, as good as the SSS in my car, maybe not.

Have the option to test drive one over the next week so will have to organise that.

HUD doesn’t “work” very well if you use polarised sunglasses

Nice spec

Going black seats? Or something else?

HUD doesn’t “work” very well if you use polarised sunglasses

Nice spec

Going black seats? Or something else?
Yes, went with plain old black leather. Would have gone for red if that was an option. Ivory looks nice, but could grow old of it then your stuck with it. What leather did you have? Interested in this test drive. Should still be more than quick enough in standard guise. Also, what black did you have?

Reactions: NevMan and 8YARWY
Yes, went with plain old black leather. Would have gone for red if that was an option. Ivory looks nice, but could grow old of it then your stuck with it. What leather did you have? Interested in this test drive. Should still be more than quick enough in standard guise. Also, what black did you have?

I had black with blue stitching, but the new m sport seats are much nicer.

709be1dc9e248202e500dff57a0e8fc3.jpg

f4f41e45d01db7d28940276fc206549b.jpg

Mine was Carbon Black. Wouldn’t say it ever had a purple hue, but looked black or a deep blue depending on light

a6be894c622bf3fdca56880206170527.jpg

d1d79650a4f482030fea71a717a445b4.jpg

3f4bca4f7df9f617d3cf5cda13d4fdf9.jpg

Reactions: Audi Bairn, FBF01 and Jassyo06

Colours and spec are very personal. I had HUD in the SQ5, did nothing for me, had it again in the M5, thought it was better, dont have it in the RS4 and rarely miss it. Do miss heated steering wheel on those really cold days....

As for colour, I had a black car once...... never again! And I have a Mini in undercoat grey, wouldnt pick that either, blame my daughter for that as it was hers from new....! I note that your RS3 was nardo!

You will love it, son in law loves his M340iT and he is fancying an M440i next time (if he cant wangle a new M4)

The original X3 was a really ugly looking bit of kit but the current one is really interesting me, apart from the colour, choice is up there with Henry Ford, loads of blacks, a grey, white or a ****** blue - *** where's estoril?

The original X3 was a really ugly looking bit of kit but the current one is really interesting me, apart from the colour, choice is up there with Henry Ford, loads of blacks, a grey, white or a ****** blue - *** where's estoril?

Is the blue phyytonic? son in law had one of those and it was nice.... but agreed the colour choices on most BMWs these days are pretty appalling, I suppose they argue you spend £4k to have any colour choice you want!

Is the blue phyytonic? son in law had one of those and it was nice.... but agreed the colour choices on most BMWs these days are pretty appalling, I suppose they argue you spend £4k to have any colour choice you want!

Close....Phytonic Blue Metallic
I am a big fan of the glacier silver, but REALLY like the X3M colours such Mas Donington Grey or the Toronto Red As has been said daily bland colour choice

Close....Phytonic Blue Metallic
I am a big fan of the glacier silver, but REALLY like the X3M colours such Mas Donington Grey or the Toronto Red As has been said daily bland colour choice

I also like silver, and really wanted Donington for the M5 but had Singapore instead as I work for a company with HO in singapore - that and they had the spec I wanted whereas the Donington all had more kit. Not a fan of bright red on a big car, suited my Golf GTi though....

My Audi is white as I didnt really like any of the colours that Audi did except Navarro blue - but that didnt suit the carbon black edition with black wheels in my opinion.

But lets be honest, I'll take a great car in a boring colour over a boring car in a great colour anyday.....

I also like silver, and really wanted Donington for the M5 but had Singapore instead as I work for a company with HO in singapore - that and they had the spec I wanted whereas the Donington all had more kit. Not a fan of bright red on a big car, suited my Golf GTi though....

My Audi is white as I didnt really like any of the colours that Audi did except Navarro blue - but that didnt suit the carbon black edition with black wheels in my opinion.

But lets be honest, I'll take a great car in a boring colour over a boring car in a great colour anyday.....

The red was a tongue in cheek, hence the laughing emoji. Agree, wouldn’t have in large car. Maybe a bit in the seats.

White never a bad shout, especially with black and carbon bits. Same with silvers and light greys.

Having had a few black cars in a row (Q5, M40i, Cooper S etc) going to try and go sensible (to keep clean!) next time...he says

The red was a tongue in cheek, hence the laughing emoji. Agree, wouldn’t have in large car. Maybe a bit in the seats.

White never a bad shout, especially with black and carbon bits. Same with silvers and light greys.

Having had a few black cars in a row (Q5, M40i, Cooper S etc) going to try and go sensible (to keep clean!) next time...he says

Building works nearly done, you need to start making suggestions of what is coming next......

I reckon cosmic blue might suggest an RSQ3.... ;)

Building works nearly done, you need to start making suggestions of what is coming next......

I reckon cosmic blue might suggest an RSQ3.... ;)

Nope, the case is lost....enjoy your BMW.

The only comment I'd make is a note of caution. BMW have been pursuing a path of heavy discounting for a few years now and that, historically, has destroyed brand residual values. Many car brands have done it and ceased to exist - maybe BMW see the end of the IC engine looming and have a short term business strategy as they'll be selling cars like 'white goods'. When EVs are mainstream then fully autonomous vehicles accessed from a mobile device will follow shortly afterwards - personal vehicle ownership will dwindle to nothing eventually. Heavy discounting destroyed Saab, GM Europe, British Leyland and my guess is JLR are struggling.

It's easy to buy an £80k X3 M40i @ £25-30k off list either brand new or with very few miles. That's good then? No because at the end of the PCP the vehicle is worth nothing, the deposit and all the monthly payments are gone with nothing to show for it - no asset, nothing. Do the sums on a bit of paper and see if it makes sense to you... at least on a PCP you can give it back when the half the payments are made and walk away I suppose.

Nope, the case is lost....enjoy your BMW.

The only comment I'd make is a note of caution. BMW have been pursuing a path of heavy discounting for a few years now and that, historically, has destroyed brand residual values. Many car brands have done it and ceased to exist - maybe BMW see the end of the IC engine looming and have a short term business strategy as they'll be selling cars like 'white goods'. When EVs are mainstream then fully autonomous vehicles accessed from a mobile device will follow shortly afterwards - personal vehicle ownership will dwindle to nothing eventually. Heavy discounting destroyed Saab, GM Europe, British Leyland and my guess is JLR are struggling.

It's easy to buy an £80k X3 M40i @ £25-30k off list either brand new or with very few miles. That's good then? No because at the end of the PCP the vehicle is worth nothing, the deposit and all the monthly payments are gone with nothing to show for it - no asset, nothing. Do the sums on a bit of paper and see if it makes sense to you... at least on a PCP you can give it back when the half the payments are made and walk away I suppose.

My comment was to NevMan who is carless having sold his X3M40i.

Yep, BMW have gone down the huge discount / crap residuals route. The £80k car you refer to is the X3MComp, and there are some good deals around on those, not as amazing as last year or late 2019. An acquaintance has just sold his, having bought with 1 month deposit and then 15 months in and cleared his debt so residuals doing ok currently.

PCP is currently the way forward on finance and sales so most people are taking the protection on residuals.

The problem is, looking at the new M3 and M4 out today, that the retail prices are getting ever higher so the discounts have to get bigger....

Reactions: cosmicblue