• Advice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Help

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hutchyq7

Reaction score
Hi Iv got a 2007 q7 3.0tdi with red screen mmi and 4 button Center controls. What are my options to change it to high? Can I get parts 2nd had or complete kit somewhere. U.K. Please thanks In advance.
John

Hi John welcome to Audi-sport.net .
These kind of upgrades can be pretty expensive and complicated. There are a few people on the forum who do these kind of things on a daily basis who would be able to advise you, @NHN being the main one. Hopefully he will be along shortly now I have tagged him :) .

Reactions: NHN and Hutchyq7
Its not a cheap upgrade tbh, how deep are your pockets :)

Reactions: Hutchyq7
Really that expensive? I plan on keeping the car for a good few years yet I just can't be doing with that horrible red mmi. It reminds me of an old Vauxhall corsa

I was reading on a forum somewhere that some bloke had got all the parts off eBay for around £700 and cost him £150 for Audi to program it

Well yeah if you want to hunt about & find them used, they will always be cheaper, but its impossible to quote used prices to people unless they're bought already, so you have to generally go with new.

How much would I be looking at roughly if I was to go through yourself? And do you sell used and new parts?

I have to agree the Q7 basic to colour MMI is not the easiest upgrade or the cheapest. I have done several and they take a long time. Basically the issue is with the amplification. The Basic Q7 does not have a seperate amp like in the A6 basic. It is built into the CD player in the dash and the car only has 8 speakers.

So when you upgrade to MMI high, you need a sound system which then has a requirement of front dash and center speakers and a rewire of the doors to split the BASS and TWEETERS speakers apart and link the TWEETERS with the dash MID RANGE speakers. All very time consuming and complicated as the AMP locates to the boot along with the radio. So again lots of rewiring and running of fiber cables as the boot does not have any fiber for the MMI.

There are so many things to fix in the Q7 from 2G basic to 2G high that it really is not worth doing.

I would suggest an MMI 3G upgrade as a better option. Less components to swap and cables to run. You can probably get away with mounting the radio/amp module under the armrest where the AMI would have gone in a 2G system. A lot less wiring, but would require a can gateway to make the cluster work, if indeed it will display on a red cluster which I'm guessing you have in a basic Q7. You would also get bluetooth and an Ipod/USB (AMI interface) for the money.

So for MMI 3G you would need roughly the following.

MMI 3G 5F unit for a Q7 (high or low, what ever your pocket can take)
MMI 3G radio/amp
Can gateway with new software to support 3G (pig to change as it's way up the dash below the air outlets)
MMI 3G control panel (high or low, again depends on what you want)
MMI 3G screen and cable (high or low) and screen surround to suit. (Maybe some new buttons for the screen surround)
AMI cradle bits and pieces to hold the radio securely.
Some FAKRA extension cables and plugs and sockets to fit the 5F unit and radio.
Front speakers for the dash and screws to fit them.
A GPS antenna.

A much better system if you go for the MMI 3G high. I converted my 2007 Q7 from 2G to 3G high and it was well worth it.

Reactions: edubine and Hutchyq7
Just checked the MMI 3G basic system and from what I can see you can get away with the 8 speakers you currently have on the very basic sound system. So that would make wiring fairly simple. Run a fiber extension from the dash to under the arm rest and 8 speaker wires, power and diagnostic cable extended from the dash to under the arm rest. Then finally the antenna cables from the dash extended to under the arm rest.

The only other issue the antenna systems are wrong HF/ZF to HF/HF, so you might need a Y splitter to join the single HF to the two HF's to improve signal.

Reactions: edubine and Hutchyq7
Sorry to highjack the thread, i have Q7 2008 with MMI 2G high, there is no module for IPOD, do you guys know what is the part number? i want to replace the cd changer with ipod connector.

regards,

You can't it wont fit. The Ipod interface goes under the armrest

Sorry, you can it will look sh1t
cant i just keep it in glove box? wire cant be extended? i dont reallly care about the looks. can leave the cd changer in dash , just unplug cd changer fibre wire and plug into ipod module.

You would struggle to fit an AMI module in the Q7 glovebox to be honest. For what the bits cost to fit it under the armrest and the speed it can be done (20 minutes tops) why dont you do it properly.

And you really should have started a new thread

You would struggle to fit an AMI module in the Q7 glovebox to be honest. For what the bits cost to fit it under the armrest and the speed it can be done (20 minutes tops) why dont you do it properly.

And you really should have started a new thread
well if it is just 20 min job, i will be more than happy to fix it at right place. But what parts i need? i need to know the parts number. appreciate if you could share.

thanks

Hi s8craig can you contact with me please? I open a new post asking help with my project to install a MMI 3g on my 08 Q7.

Thanks!

Thank you anyway... Is there any chance just to solve couple questions?

I just need to know what kind of cables I need to connect all (I guess old plugs doesn't fit on now parts)

Last edited: