q7 MMI issues - doing some fault finding

jaipal2004

Reaction score
Hi,

my 2006 Q7 MMI comes on briefly and then goes off again. I've done the following:

1. Taken the centre console out and made sure there's no water damage to the board. Gave it a good clean and made sure there's voltage going to it via a multimeter. The three button reset you can do seems to work in so much it restarts so am I safe to assume the centre console is working as expected? Or should I still replace it? You can get boards from eBay for £50.
  2. CD multichanger lets me load and unload so clearly the fuse for that is ok. I believe some units have their own fuses and they can also cause issues.
  3. Checked the other easiest unit I could access which sits behind driver side rear light cluster - appears to be a radio unit as it has an aerial input. There's no red light on the fibre optic connector so looks like a problem somewhere on the ring
Can somebody point me in the direction of any resources that may help or some steps? My next port of call will be the amplifier and anything that sits in the back passenger side and in the well in the boot.

Hoping this is a simple in-out type fix or even better a blown fuse somewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

The MMI I have is the MMI High 2G I believe going from the wiki page for MMI. Have the power button on centre console in top right and the centre wheel is press and turn, no joystick