Quattro clutch replacement, Engine in or out methods.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening chaps.
Not that I need to do it yet as such but I'm toying with the idea based on a pre-emptive strike before I go for more performance bits.
Without a full lift I think this is going to be a pig of a job insitu, so would an engine/gearbox out be a better option.
I know it's a bit more work but that is a lot less aggro than trying to do it from underneath on axle stands etc.
Anyone done a Quattro clutch replacement using the engine out route, if so anything to look out for and handy hints.

I'm not being held to Ransome by garages around here for sky-high labour costs when the parts are not that costly, i was quoted £1600 min today by 3 indy garages...it may be a Quattro but that just bonkers.
I have a 2-ton engine hoist, etc so not completely without a level of tools.
all feedback gratefully received as per normal chaps.

rob

Evening chaps.
Not that I need to do it yet as such but I'm toying with the idea based on a pre-emptive strike before I go for more performance bits.
Without a full lift I think this is going to be a pig of a job insitu, so would an engine/gearbox out be a better option.
I know it's a bit more work but that is a lot less aggro than trying to do it from underneath on axle stands etc.
Anyone done a Quattro clutch replacement using the engine out route, if so anything to look out for and handy hints.

I'm not being held to Ransome by garages around here for sky-high labour costs when the parts are not that costly, i was quoted £1600 min today by 3 indy garages...it may be a Quattro but that just bonkers.
I have a 2-ton engine hoist, etc so not completely without a level of tools.
all feedback gratefully received as per normal chaps.

rob

Quattro what age rob??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Hey Rob, Have you looked into hiring a garage/workshop with a pillar lift? Might be worthwhile

There’s some near me that charge by the hour, half day or day rate. Most have a transmission Jack, basic socket sets and air lines if you have your own tools.

Hey Rob, Have you looked into hiring a garage/workshop with a pillar lift? Might be worthwhile

There’s some near me that charge by the hour, half day or day rate. Most have a transmission Jack, basic socket sets and air lines if you have your own tools.

I have thought about it but i'm a bit concerned what the format would be if there was an issue and the car was unable to be completed or moved, it would be a real pain if the car was stranded away from home etc.

I have a nice double garage with an engine hoist, jacks etc plenty of tools, not really the same as a dedicated lift i know but at least if there was an issue, and i needed parts or worse case had to order a part, the car would be safe and no charges mounting up.
Also, i would be able to do it at my own pace, not having to be on the clock with a hired lift etc.

Reactions: Inertiauk
late 2006 manual.

Only ever done them on a 2 post lift you can get box out in about 2hr 20mins
It’ll be hard work engine and box out splitting air con and water pipes and all front end off.
Pity you wasn’t a bit closer I’d have lent you a lift for a few beer tokens
If you fancy a road trip more than welcome to come use one

Reactions: Inertiauk and Charlie Farley
£1600 seems expensive… Had mine replaced last year with a Sachs organic kit and LUK fly wheel and paid half that. It’s a bit beyond my technical ability and I don’t have a lift so worth paying for. Plus it’s ready for the incoming power mods. I don’t miss the tax garages down south seem to charge!

£1600 does seem steep. Was that for an organic or uprated clutch?

I paid £1050, for a standard clutch and DMF including fitting - but that was a couple of years back.

Thanks for the replies and advice guy, I really appreciate it.
Garages around surrey just charge so much for anything that has a german name in the equation.
There is a sort of logic to my idea of removing the whole lump.
In keeping with my ongoing performance upgrades the clutch will need doing, it's on 89k now and still the original, apart from brief issues back in 2015 its been fine but that isn't really a good basis for increased output, it will just finish a worn clutch for sure so best to do that asap really.
I need to check the cam chain tensioner and variator sooner than later, also want to do a decoke and fit this new IC and decat pipe, it is just doubling up on all these jobs doing them individually so why not just pull it out and do them all at the same time, just makes a more logical operation, i can check the oil pick and pump at the same time.
I have no problem with a garage doing these jobs but they just charge so much in labour around here, it kills of doing some repairs.

cheers
chaps.

I'm no mechanic and I am less experienced than most on here.
A friend did exactly what you want to do on his drive a fair few years ago. It did not go well.

The problem is its hard (or at least my friend found it hard) to line it all up using the engine hoist with it free swinging and limited space without damaging the spring diaphragm portion of the clutch as it goes in.

A gearbox on a lift can be put into place and lined up then slid in.

I think if you removed the whole front pannel too then it would be more doable, but even then from underneath with the right stands to hold and slide the box back on would still be much easier.

I get a feeling you enjoy a challenge though Rob.

My plan "A" was to pull the engine and gearbox out as a complete unit and then do the items planned.
which is the :
check the cam chain tensioner again and variator assembly
Decoke the head etc
new clutch/DMF
replace the oil pickup pipe, not that it needs it but might as well
check the oil pump
replace gearbox mounts
change the gearbox oil
swap out the cat for the decat pipe
fit new FMIC
replace offside headlamp washer that's gone tits up this week.

that was the bulk of the work that I was thinking to warranty the work involved in an engine /gearbox out project.

just makes logical sense to do it all in one swoop with easy access when not in the chassis.

But, that was plan "A" , now there is a possible plan "B" but not sure i want to go back that route.

I have a sneaking feeling this project maywell become one with my power upgrade project.... :yes:

And will involve using Copart .:whistle2:

To be honest, there is nothing really wrong with the clutch fitted at the moment, but I doubt it will hold out for much longer with any substantial increases in power output.
Which does really dictate what I can do to the engine at present hence my current line of thinking, start off with a good strong base unit .

Only ever done them on a 2 post lift you can get box out in about 2hr 20mins
It’ll be hard work engine and box out splitting air con and water pipes and all front end off.
Pity you wasn’t a bit closer I’d have lent you a lift for a few beer tokens
If you fancy a road trip more than welcome to come use one

Thanks for the kind offer paul.
What neck of the wood are you in?

If your opting for an engine out route Rob, its a fairly straightforward enough job. As for the clutch itself, there wont be much difference between a 2wd and quattro apart from removing the prop shaft. I did my own on mine and it was easier than i expected tbh. I didne do mine on a 2 post however but pulling the engine out to do it would make it easier.

Lol , just a bit , thanks for the kind offer anyway. :yes: