Quattro Strange noise from rear axle

Spotontqs

Reaction score
Good morning all
I have a 2004 A4 1.8T Quattro 190bhp
I’ve just started to hear a strange noise coming from the rear axle when setting off,but when driving I can’t hear it.has anyone come across this problem before?.any help would be appreciated thanks.

If it's a low knocking noise that sounds like your driving over cats eyes but it then dissapears with speed its probably the rear diff!

It can also be the center bolt what's holding the driveshaft. They call it also the stretch bolt. Check that as well mate. I replaced my bearings last week and mine was loose i could turn it with my fingers the stretch bolt

Mine had under 90k on the clock when it started! First it was barely audible but it got a lot worse within a few thousand miles, typically just when I sold it so I gave matey a kick back to help out with the repairs....

Mine had under 90k on the clock when it started! First it was barely audible but it got a lot worse within a few thousand miles, typically just when I sold it so I gave matey a kick back to help out with the repairs....
I think the bearing normally should be changing every 100k. I would just put a the wheel up and put your hand behind the wheel and put it to you and feel if there is any movement and you can notice it if it the bearing. Otherwise big chance it the driveshaft mate.

The guy that bought mine took it to an Audi indy and they traced it back to the rear differential, I spoke to a few breakers and it is something that can happen...and there was me thinking the quattro system was pretty much fail proof lol!

The guy that bought mine took it to an Audi indy and they traced it back to the rear differential, I spoke to a few breakers and it is something that can happen...and there was me thinking the quattro system was pretty much fail proof lol
You should be having also leak the torsen system wont break if the seal from the driveshaft is ok and it's full with gearbox oil though. Did you had also oil leak?

Only info I can share is like I said it was audible knocking subtle to start with then progressively worse pretty quickly. The guy I sold it to reckons all other options were looked into but in the end a second hand diff' sorted it ...

Only info I can share is like I said it was audible knocking subtle to start with then progressively worse pretty quickly. The guy I sold it to reckons all other options were looked into but in the end a second hand diff' sorted it ...
That gone cost you money mate....

I don't think it cost him too much, around £700 I think.
Worth spending as the car was very low mileage for year and mint condition.

Reactions: Torsen4you