Queries on A4 3.0 Tdi 218 Quattro Avant

Roarsman

Reaction score
Hi all
I was on this forum previously asking about wheel / tyre sizes for an A4 Avant S Line Tdi 190 I was buying, but in the end I actually went for a 3.0 Tdi 218 Quattro Avant Sport instead.
I have just come out of a BMW 320d Touring X Drive so the smooth engine is a real relief!
My queries are:
  1. Any issues with mixing tyre brands or wear / tread depths. The X Drive needed certain quality tyre brands (expensive) and rolling circumferences to be matched by replacing all 4 tyres at the same time (transmission wind up and transfer case issues otherwise). Does the quattro system have any requirements like this?
  2. What tyres are best for 225/50 R17 wheels would people say - at up to £100 a corner?
  3. Anything else to watch out for to keep it running at its best ie: Recommended Timing belt change mileage / age? Transmission fluid change timing? Oil changes at shorter intervals than recommended?
  4. Any other quirks or things to watch out for?
Any advice gratefully recieved.

Many thanks

Last edited:
225/50 17 tyres don't have the best range of options. I liked Michelin Primacy 4 but now have Hankook Evo2's at £108 a wheel; they are unbelievably quiet even compared to the super quiet Primacy's. Can't comment on anything else as I have a 2.0Tdi.

Hi
Big step up in quality from a BMW 320. Even if it has Audi plastic leather it'll feel much nicer than BM Rhinohide. Refinement in all respects (engine/tyre/wind noise) is a huge step up compared to the F series 3. That 3 litre engine is silky but the S-Tronic box it is mated to can be very soporific compared to the ZF8 you're used to.

Did you personally have issues with transmission wind up on the BMW? I would assume not. While in theory it could cause issues, there has to be bigger differences than different tyre makes/wear to cause an issue. After all BMW don't even use the same size tyres front to rear. Do the circumference maths and you'll see they talk with £orked tongue!

Everyone states how their new tyres are sooo much better than thier old ones. Yep, more tread makes for quieter tyres, regardless of make. I really wish tyre journos would road test a set of premium half worn tyres from each manufacturer.
As for buying tyres, look at the Hankook S1 EVO2, Mich Primacy, Conti, but beware of the <£80 ditchfinders. I did that once and it cost a lot more in NCD than £20 a corner!!

Oh and the 3.0 TDI has a timing chain not a belt. No interval specified.

Frequent oil changes can do no harm. 12k or 1 year would help on any car with any oil. But research states that the filter change is even more important. Gearbox is a specific issue. Some are sealed for life, others every 35-40k. And again with filter. Even the main Stealer has trouble working out which it is but I seem to recall that the Quattro is one that needs doing periodically.
Hope this helps

Perfect thanks. Good advice.
I had to replace the transfer case in the Beemer when I changed the tyres to just two new at the back and suddenly got all the shunting symptoms on acceleration.. hence once bitten paranoia!