Question for the RS3 8P Owners....

Bazgti

Reaction score
Something that ive noticed that is different from my 6R is the gear change. When the s tronic is moved the left in Manual mode.

Does everybody else's car change up automatically at red line? Or do you have to flick the paddle to change gear yourself?

My 6R did it automatically. Ive bounced the needle off the red line a couple of times already expecting it to change.

Thanks

If you move the stick 'LEFT' then you're in MANUAL mode and you have to paddle shift 'UP' yourself, whenever - the electronics thinking "you know what you're doing."
28.gif

However, the box will still shift 'DOWN' automatically, eventually.

Same on my 8P RS3, 8J TT, and 8X A1 - all DSG. :racer:

PS: post in the 8P RS3 section and I'm sure your 8P RS3 questions will be picked up sooner and we'll be only to happy to assist a new owner with what remains a truly fabulous motor car.

Snake

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost
If you move the stick 'LEFT' then you're in MANUAL mode and you have to paddle shift 'UP' yourself, whenever - the electronics thinking "you know what you're doing."
28.gif

However, the box will still shift 'DOWN' automatically, eventually.

Same on my 8P RS3, 8J TT, and 8X A1 - all DSG. :racer:

PS: post in the 8P RS3 section and I'm sure your 8P RS3 questions will be picked up sooner and we'll be only to happy to assist a new owner with what remains a truly fabulous motor car.

Hmmm... Interesting. Thats going to take some getting used to. The 6R mustve been a control freak. It did everything for me. Had the Dynamic Chassis control too. That feels much different to the RS. The learning curve starts here its seems! ha

Thank you.

Il post in there in future too! Im hoping so. Hopefully the Haldex will be sorted tomorrow and its trouble free from then on.

Reactions: Ghost
Hmmm... Interesting. Thats going to take some getting used to. The 6R mustve been a control freak. It did everything for me. Had the Dynamic Chassis control too. That feels much different to the RS. The learning curve starts here its seems! ha

Thank you.

Il post in there in future too! Im hoping so. Hopefully the Haldex will be sorted tomorrow and its trouble free from then on.

You're welcome, no problem, enjoy: sometimes LESS can be so much MORE.. :racer:

Good imho that it will hit the redline and not change, my 8V sounded great at the limiter!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

You're welcome, no problem, enjoy: sometimes LESS can be so much MORE.. :racer:

Haha ive tried selling that theory to 'er in doors for the past 10 years!

Is there anything i should be wary of? Servicable parts etc
There no cambelt on these, but ive read about timing chains. Haldex oil and Dsg were done in October.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Haha ive tried selling that theory to 'er in doors for the past 10 years!

Is there anything i should be wary of? Servicable parts etc
There no cambelt on these, but ive read about timing chains. Haldex oil and Dsg were done in October.

Very little that I know of and I've been running mine and helping others since 2011; one busted differential, one twisted driveshaft, both from excessive 'launch' use, and then lots of low-speed brake squeal (easily sorted) and 70 to 80mph out of balance front wheel vibration - again easily sorted.

Otherwise the 8P RS3 is amazingly good - for sure I still don't want to swap mine for anything else but then we have a 185bhp 7-speed DSG A1 for the usual hum/drum work and a TT roadster for when the sun comes out; that said, the 8P RS3 is always a 'joy' and 'excites' all the way.

Nothing in the current Audi stable that I/we'd swap ours for, period.

Make sure you've up to date service and go from there; make sure you've all updates also! Your Audi dealer should have full records.

Specific 8P RS3 Audi service is:

AUDI RS3 EVERY 2-YEARS:
Change Engine Oil and Oil Filter
Change Brake Fluid
Change Dust and Pollen Filter
Service Air Conditioning unit
Check Front and Rear Lamps
Check Horn
Check Windscreen Wiper and Wash System
Check Wiper Blades
Check Headlamp Wash
Check Tyre Tread Depth/Wear
Check Tyre Pressure Check and Adjust
Check Tyre Repair Canister Date Expiry
Check Brake Pad Thickness
Check and Clean Plenum Chamber and Water Drain Valve
Check Battery
Check Track-rods, Track Control Links, Ball Joints, Guide Bearings, Drive-shafts
Inspect from Below Engine and Gearbox and Drive Component
Inspect Body for Corrosion etc
Re-set Service Interval Display

AUDI RS3 EVERY 4-YEARS:
Change Haldex Oil
Check Warning and Indicator Lamps
Check Brake System for Leaks and Damage
Check Under-body for Loose Fasteners and/or Wiring and/or Damage
Check Antifreeze Level and Concentration
Check Hydraulic Fluid Level

AUDI RS3 ADDITIONAL WORK:
@ 19000-miles/6-Years: Spark Plug(s) change
@ 38000-miles: Air Filter
@ 60000-miles: S-tronic Gearbox Oil change

PM sent: do you need any original 8P RS3 sales data? :readit:

Very little that I know of and I've been running mine and helping others since 2011;
That’s good to know. Il be on the hunt for one of these next year when I sell my r32

i use manual and drive
sport is quite annoying and wrong gear half the time.

i do find that in drive and gear down it doesn't change back to drive quick enough by itself

i use manual and drive
sport is quite annoying and wrong gear half the time.

i do find that in drive and gear down it doesn't change back to drive quick enough by itself

I agree; best to stick the lever in manual i.e., to the left and use the paddles; or, leave it in drive and or sport and use the paddles to attain engine to road speed and then let the gearbox look after itself. Same for me in our 8PRS3, 8J TT, and 8X A1 - all with DSG and flappy paddles... :racer:

If your in temporary manual, ie over ridden D or S. with a paddle , manual mode will changed up .

If your in full manual, stick
Left , it won’t.