Question on Magnetic (MR) Ride option

Zoto

Reaction score
Just registered with audi sport - great forum.

I'm looking at buying a 2016 RS3 - test drove one last week & was impressed.
Unfortunately there's only a single demo here and it doesn't have the Performance Pack, so I can't compare the normal sports suspension set-up vs one with MR.

I've read conflicting accounts (not on this forum, but on web/mag reviews etc) on how MR compares to the normal (non-adjustable) sports suspension on the RS3
i.e. - whether or not MR actually "softens-up" the ride in "comfort" mode compared to normal sport suspension?
- that in "dynamic" mode, the ride is much firmer when compared to normal sport suspension?

Ideally if someone has driven both, and can comment based on experience I would welcome their comments.

Just to add to my confusion I saw on Audi's German web site, reference to "Sport Suspension" (non adjustable) and "Sport Plus Suspension" (which has MR). Do they have different spring rates, or just differentiated by MR??

Appreciate the help

Get one with Mag Ride.........

Great at firming things up in Dynamic/individual settings

Even better in Comfort

It gives the RS3 two personalities.......

Magnetic ride in my opinion is worth it, I wouldn't say it is any more soft than the regular setup but it is more compliant especially if you hit an uneven patch of road mid corner. Dynamic is quite a lot firmer and really tries to eliminate body roll although perhaps becomes a little uncomfortable on roads that aren't so smooth.

Ultimately Magnetic Ride in Comfort is far superior to the standard system.
Make sure you get the sports exhaust too!

You need to get the dynamic pack in order to get the mag ride correct? And that also includes the sports exhaust. So if someone doesn't get the dynamic pack you have no sports exhaust and no mag ride.

You need to get the dynamic pack in order to get the mag ride correct? And that also includes the sports exhaust. So if someone doesn't get the dynamic pack you have no sports exhaust and no mag ride.

You can configure Mag ride on it's own £995

Reactions: RGBARGEE
It thuds like all Audi mag ride systems though and its not the bushes like all dealers spout.

Ar didn't no that! I think it's stupid though having to buy the dynamic pack for £1500 just to get the sports exhaust :(

It thuds like all Audi mag ride systems though and its not the bushes like all dealers spout.
Is it noticeably loud? When does it occur - only on full compression/rebound ? or within normal movement?

Magnetic ride in my opinion is worth it, I wouldn't say it is any more soft than the regular setup but it is more compliant especially if you hit an uneven patch of road mid corner. Dynamic is quite a lot firmer and really tries to eliminate body roll although perhaps becomes a little uncomfortable on roads that aren't so smooth.

Ultimately Magnetic Ride in Comfort is far superior to the standard system.
Make sure you get the sports exhaust too!
Thanks for the feedback - just clarifying
When you say "superior" in comfort mode - meaning its firmer than standard sport suspension, or more compliant/softer under poor road conditions.

Unfortunately I'm in Australia (wrt Audi pricing/bundling of options - not that I don't love beautiful hot Perth; 37C tomorrow) and Audi is very controlling with options. You have to get the Performance Pack at AUD$6,500 for black alloys (wider fronts), MR, B&O, carbon inlays and red callipers. All cars in Aussie get sports exhaust system.

Can the sports exhaust be retro fitted? I assume its JUST the back box?

Yes it can be. Works out about £1500. Woodstock did it! :)

Reactions: Schlaag
Thanks for the feedback - just clarifying
When you say "superior" in comfort mode - meaning its firmer than standard sport suspension, or more compliant/softer under poor road conditions.

It's superior in that it is more compliant and absorbs the uneven surface very smoothly, but even in comfort I'd say it has less body roll than the standard suspension, although I have not way to actually test that and back it up with numbers, it's just my impression.

I've spent a lot of time driving S3 with and without Mag ride too, and same story on that car. Mag ride every time.

Just registered with audi sport - great forum.

I'm looking at buying a 2016 RS3 - test drove one last week & was impressed.
Unfortunately there's only a single demo here and it doesn't have the Performance Pack, so I can't compare the normal sports suspension set-up vs one with MR.

I've read conflicting accounts (not on this forum, but on web/mag reviews etc) on how MR compares to the normal (non-adjustable) sports suspension on the RS3
i.e. - whether or not MR actually "softens-up" the ride in "comfort" mode compared to normal sport suspension?
- that in "dynamic" mode, the ride is much firmer when compared to normal sport suspension?

Ideally if someone has driven both, and can comment based on experience I would welcome their comments.

Just to add to my confusion I saw on Audi's German web site, reference to "Sport Suspension" (non adjustable) and "Sport Plus Suspension" (which has MR). Do they have different spring rates, or just differentiated by MR??

Appreciate the help
Mag ride works fantastic , haven,t driven the 8v without , but my old 8p is like a gokart in comparisson

There will always different opinions. I thought even noisier exhaust could become tiresome- love the noise but .....
As for mag ride, tried both on 8v S3 and whilst good not sure it's £1k good!