Quick Rotor Clean

RS3-Rob

Reaction score
Evening!

Seeing as I have a few days off work I thought I'd make the most of today while the weather was half decent and do 'something' to the RS. I love tinkering and thinking of things I can do/change to my cars, more so with this one and I've just recently purchased a polisher for the bodywork from cleanyourcar so thought I'd give the front rotors a quick going over because they were looking a bit tired and unsightly.

Its amazing how something so small can make such a big difference to the whole wheel 'area' and these pictures don't do it any justice whatsoever. I've just ordered some 19" Black Gloss wheels which should be here sometime this week and I think these will now shine through a treat!

I know its nothing major like a turbo upgrade or stroker kit, Its just something simple that the majority of people can do when the weathers nice and their looking for something to do :sunglasses:.

Rob

Reactions: daytonamart and 45bvtc
and I think these will now shine through a treat!

SUPERB Rob, well done; and from my own experience they'll stay like that for a long time once that ***** lacquer is removed.

Upload 2017 4 25 18 29 32

Reactions: Kelza and RS3-Rob
Nice one Rob!!

Did you use any sort of sealant / coating afterwards or just a good polish up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS3-Rob
45bvtc - That looks spot on mate, did you put any sealant or protection after polishing?

RStu3 - Cheers mate, I used Autosol metal polish to remove the majority of crap, a quick going over with Sonax polish afterwards and then some AutoFinesse wax that I use for the bodywork. Probably a bit overkill but it cant do any harm :).

Reactions: 45bvtc and RStu3
45bvtc - That looks spot on mate, did you put any sealant or protection after polishing?

RStu3 - Cheers mate, I used Autosol metal polish to remove the majority of ****, a quick going over with Sonax polish afterwards and then some AutoFinesse wax that I use for the bodywork. Probably a bit overkill but it cant do any harm :).

No Rob, nothing. Just done the same as you some 4-years since i.e., get rid of the lacquer and polish. Once or twice a year (when changing summer to winter and/or winter to summer wheels and tyres) they get a quick hand-polish with Solvol Autosol and that's it. Ok, Redstuff helps.

And I think you're spot on with "Seeing as I have a few days off work I thought I'd make the most of today while the weather was half decent and do 'something' to the RS." and as I'm retired I can keep on top of the prep' any time.

Great car the 8P RS3 - wouldn't swap mine for anything else - though I do love our twincharge A1.

RStu3 - Cheers mate, I used Autosol metal polish to remove the majority of ****, a quick going over with Sonax polish afterwards and then some AutoFinesse wax that I use for the bodywork. Probably a bit overkill but it cant do any harm :).

Note that I've also cut and polished the rims, Rob, and now the muck don't stick to 'em...

I think its like anything, keep on top of it and it'll remain in good condition and last for many more years to come, It would be nice if we had the weather of Hawaii to able to do these things more often without having to worry about 'is it gonna' rain or isn't it' :bull head:.

Anyway, after ordering my wheels on Monday night they arrived at 9am this morning from Ireland so top praises go to DPD :rockwoot:.

Did a quick trial fit as it was still wet and grim outside but managed to take a few snaps (but not the best) I just need to decide on tyres. I'm not sure whether to keep the
original continentals and put them on these or go for some Michelin pilot sport and keep the Audi Rotors as spares/winter tyres. I don't do any track days or use launch control so to me a tyre is pretty much a tyre but I always like to go for an above average and not budget.

They aren't to everyones taste but I think they'll suit the car very well.

Reactions: 45bvtc
I'm not sure whether to keep the
original continentals and put them on these or go for some Michelin pilot sport and keep the Audi Rotors as spares/winter tyres. I don't do any track days or use launch control so to me a tyre is pretty much a tyre but I always like to go for an above average and not budget.

I'm on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Rob, and find they suit the car very well for summer use.

For winter I use Vredestein Wintrac Xtreams (on spare rims) and I'm very content with them also - BLUEY loves the white stuff:
23.gif

BLUEY on winter rubber